Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2010, 03:55 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,276,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
Thats weird Im under 25 and have never had an accident and my insurance in NY was $75.00 a month, but here its $150.00.....

Bad driving, bad walking
The fatality rate for pedestrians is higher than anything in tampa.
It's not necessarily you. I believe Hillsborough County has higher rates as a rule, with it even higher in certain neighborhoods. I'd imagine it would be pretty expensive to insure a 2010 BMW in Jackson Heights or College Hill.

Regarding the pedestrian fatalities: they go two ways. There are the people who are killed crossing at the light because someone ran a light or didn't stop before turning right, but then there are those who cross a few feet away from the light and stand in the middle of the street (not on a median), waiting for traffic to clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 04:48 PM

8,488 posts, read 20,576,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
Thats weird Im under 25 and have never had an accident and my insurance in NY was $75.00 a month, but here its $150.00.....

Bad driving, bad walking
The fatality rate for pedestrians is higher than anything in tampa.
Really? You had insurance for $75 a month when you were 17?

Call me a skeptic but I don't buy it.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:00 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,228,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
If they could somehow move Boston down out of the snow belt to about, I dunno, South Carolina, that would be my favorite place for living.

Boston, South Carolina. It has a nice ring to it, right?
Boston seems to do just fine right where it is. The Carolinas are a awsome place to visit. Boston is a awsome place to live.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:03 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,098,102 times
Folks.. please get back on topic and keep it about Tampa Bay.

Thanks

Old 09-20-2010, 05:09 PM

707 posts, read 1,462,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post

Triple AAA Insurance and my car is only used to get to school, so I say.... it be higher if I was not in school its an "occasional" vehicle. I also have more security features on my car that lowered my rate.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:03 PM

872 posts, read 1,707,020 times
Which cities are the safest for pedestrians? Which are dangerous? - CSMonitor.com

Old 09-20-2010, 08:16 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,884,662 times
"Some of the most dangerous places to walk or ride a bicycle in America are in the South – in fast-growing metropolitan areas that have built their streets mainly for automobiles.

In fact, four of the five worst metro areas for walking or biking are in Florida: Orlando-Kissimmee, Tampa-St. Petersburg, Miami-Fort Lauderdale, and Jacksonville. The other metro area in this group of five is Memphis, Tenn."

Old 09-20-2010, 08:21 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,884,662 times
Its very true, whenever we get a quote the agents tell us that Hillsborough Cty has some of the highest rates of the state. Would I move out for that reason no, but it certainly adds up. Housing is not expensive here compared to many places, but property taxes, homeowners ins, auto ins, electric bills, water bills, etc all most certainly add up to be higher here than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
It's not necessarily you. I believe Hillsborough County has higher rates as a rule, with it even higher in certain neighborhoods. I'd imagine it would be pretty expensive to insure a 2010 BMW in Jackson Heights or College Hill.

Regarding the pedestrian fatalities: they go two ways. There are the people who are killed crossing at the light because someone ran a light or didn't stop before turning right, but then there are those who cross a few feet away from the light and stand in the middle of the street (not on a median), waiting for traffic to clear.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:37 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,738,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post

I did too, but i was liability only on a tempo

My insurance went up quite a bit moving here too. I paid 120 for both of our cars full coverage in nebraska (2005 VW passat and 2010 vw jetta sportwagen), and when i moved here it jumped up to nearly 300. The sticker shock of my rental insurance was horrible too, nebraska : 6 dollars a month for 25k, tampa: 100/month for 25k.

Needless to say, I switched to USAA since they had cheaper rates for floridians but that's specific to government workers only, but its still expensive.

I'm slowly but surely working up to liking florida, I will say i HATED it at first, but its slowly getting better. I dont think i could live here my whole life, but for the 4 years we're stuck here, i'm attempting to make the best of it.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:03 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,576,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
I did too, but i was liability only on a tempo

My insurance went up quite a bit moving here too. I paid 120 for both of our cars full coverage in nebraska (2005 VW passat and 2010 vw jetta sportwagen), and when i moved here it jumped up to nearly 300. The sticker shock of my rental insurance was horrible too, nebraska : 6 dollars a month for 25k, tampa: 100/month for 25k.

Needless to say, I switched to USAA since they had cheaper rates for floridians but that's specific to government workers only, but its still expensive.

I'm slowly but surely working up to liking florida, I will say i HATED it at first, but its slowly getting better. I dont think i could live here my whole life, but for the 4 years we're stuck here, i'm attempting to make the best of it.
I have no doubt some states are cheaper since Florida is middle of the pack.

My doubt was in regards to a claim of a 17 yr old in NY having 50% lower rates than that same person as a 21 yr old in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay