Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 11:10 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,121,070 times

Advertisements

Where is some excellent Deep Dish Pizza in Pinellas or Hillsborough County? I am really wanting some excellent Deep Dish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 05:08 PM

5 posts, read 12,834 times
Have you checked out Giordano's? Looks like there's one at 401 N Dale Mabry Hwy.

We're moving down to Tampa in June '11, and were down recently looking around. We had lunch at the Giordano's in Brandon, and it was pretty great.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:06 PM

503 posts, read 772,095 times
Cappy's on Bay to Bay in south Tampa. I have never been to Chicago so I dont know if its "authentic" or not. Either way - its yummy.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:33 PM

451 posts, read 933,500 times
As a long-time fan of Chicago-style pizza (having lived 8 years in downtown Chicago), I asked the same question myself recently. I tried Cappy's this past Saturday. I read great reviews, I had high hopes, but the pie was poorly mixed, heavy in the wrong ingredients and entirely bland. The crust looked great when they served it, but there was barely any cheese and not enough sauce. The sauce itself had no character, no bite, it was as if they used cheap ingredients and little love. I was sad, because the restaurant itself (on Bay-to-Bay and MacDill) was fun and interesting.

I hate to say this, but your best bet is the Giordano's on Dale Mabry, just north of Kennedy. I don't like chain restaurants, but you can't knock Giordano's-- they make good pies. Fortunately, there are a few of them in the Tampa Bay and getting to them is not difficult. But from my (rather educated) opinion, Cappy's just doesn't cut it. Giordano's may lack authenticity, but their pizza is just GOOD.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethinktank View Post
As a long-time fan of Chicago-style pizza (having lived 8 years in downtown Chicago), I asked the same question myself recently. I tried Cappy's this past Saturday. I read great reviews, I had high hopes, but the pie was poorly mixed, heavy in the wrong ingredients and entirely bland. The crust looked great when they served it, but there was barely any cheese and not enough sauce. The sauce itself had no character, no bite, it was as if they used cheap ingredients and little love. I was sad, because the restaurant itself (on Bay-to-Bay and MacDill) was fun and interesting.

I hate to say this, but your best bet is the Giordano's on Dale Mabry, just north of Kennedy. I don't like chain restaurants, but you can't knock Giordano's-- they make good pies. Fortunately, there are a few of them in the Tampa Bay and getting to them is not difficult. But from my (rather educated) opinion, Cappy's just doesn't cut it. Giordano's may lack authenticity, but their pizza is just GOOD.

Thanks. SW has a BOGO coupon for Giordano's. Although its not near my home nor on my way home from work, I think I'll drive 15 - 20 minutes out of my way to bring home some good deep dish pizza.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:40 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,901,337 times
I agree I'm not big on chain restaurants either....but I find the smaller mom and pop pizza places around here are just so-so. We are big fans of Giordano's at my house. It is amazingly deep dish, I have never had more than one slice its so thick, but I start with their salads, which are great too. Mmmm, is it too early still?

Old 09-21-2010, 09:33 AM

503 posts, read 772,095 times
To each their own. I thought Girdanos had way too much cheese. The cheese was rubbery and very salty. Its funny how 2 people can have the exact same thing and come out opposite. Guess you will have to try them all to find your fave! Enjoy the quest!

Old 09-22-2010, 08:37 AM

Going to pick up and bring home some Giordanos tonight. I will let you guys know how it is..... IMO of course. I have to admit, their website makes their pizza look awesome. I'm a fan of cheesy, dip dish pizza with corn based crust though.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:19 AM

877 posts, read 1,912,183 times
www.restaurant.com has gcs all the time for Giordano's. Do a search for 80% off codes and get a great deal.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:22 AM

Stewabby, thanks.

Okay a report on the pizza. Its good and very filling. I had a BOGO coupon so I bough 2 mediums stuffed pizzas. There are lots of cheese on these pizzas and the right amount of sauce. The crust doesn;t have as much corn flavor as I was hoping for, but was still tasty

1st Pizza - Sausage, Onion and Black Olive
Their sausage has little flavor so the only thing you could really taste on this pizza was the onion.

2nd Pizza - Pepperoni, Canadian Bacon and Pineapple
Pepperoni and Canadian Bacon were very flavorful. In fact, their Canadian Bacon had more flavor than the Pepperoni... in a good way. This was the much better of the two.

All in all. Its good Pizza and I will go back again and have it. I will bypass the sausage since it had so little flavor. Now, although yes, its expensive but maybe not as expensive as one might think. My family usually goes through 2 medium pizzas when we order. Well, the Stuffed Pizzas here are so loaded and so thick that we were only able to eat 1 medium pizza. So $25 for each medium may seem spendy, but with that said.... you only really need 1 medium. So although its not the cheapest pizza, its still an OK value. I however, am a cheapo and will probably not eat here unless I have some sort of coupon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay