U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 07:05 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,947,201 times

Advertisements

i've been lurking here for a while (and i don't use proper capitalization so bear with me). lots of great info on these forums.

my gf and i are getting married next june and we both currently live in northern virginia just outside of dc. both are early 30s. i'm a dc lifer, she's from upstate ny. we've both had enough of the rat race up here. too expensive, snobby, polluted, congested, cold in the winter, etc, and we both love the idea of living in florida. we checked out west/north palm beach last winter and liked it but are more interested in the laid back lifestyle of florida's west coast. we're heading down to the area on a fact-finding mission to scope out the area, neighborhoods, traffic, culture, etc.

she's a nurse, i'm in IT and have a high level clearance. we've both found more jobs in the tampa area than any other in florida, save for miami (no thanks), and are looking to rent a townhouse/house for a year until we decide if we want to stay/buy. plus it looks like the housing market may still come down a little bit.

it seems a lot of folks like south tampa. that's definitely on the list of places we'll be checking out. what problem areas of tampa do people advise against? we'll be looking for safe neighborhoods (obviously) that aren't outrageously overpriced and a million miles away from work.

does anyone commute to macdill afb from the surrounding areas? what's the traffic like? commute times/distance? can't wait to see what passes for tampa rush hour (remember, i'm coming from dc ).

thanks guys. lots of info to absorb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 07:25 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Welcome to the area!

If you're looking to avoid the snobbery similar to the DC area (I'm familiar, actually lived in DC for 7 years recently), look at areas of Pinellas County. It's more laidback and less pretentious on the beach side of the bay. South Tampa can be quite pretentious. NE Clearwater, SE Clearwater, Safety Harbor and Oldsmar have some nice neighborhoods and are not a terrible commute to Tampa or St Pete. It's probably 30-40 minutes to MacDill from these areas. In particular check out the Countryside neighborhood of Northeast Clearwater, Feather Sound in Southeast Clearwater and East Lake Woodlands in Oldsmar.

Good luck!

Old 09-28-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Welcome to the area!

If you're looking to avoid the snobbery similar to the DC area (I'm familiar, actually lived in DC for 7 years recently), look at areas of Pinellas County. It's more laidback and less pretentious on the beach side of the bay. South Tampa can be quite pretentious. NE Clearwater, SE Clearwater, Safety Harbor and Oldsmar have some nice neighborhoods and are not a terrible commute to Tampa or St Pete. It's probably 30-40 minutes to MacDill from these areas. In particular check out the Countryside neighborhood of Northeast Clearwater, Feather Sound in Southeast Clearwater and East Lake Woodlands in Oldsmar.

Good luck!
thanks for the recommendations! i've heard good things about pinellas.

when you say south tampa is pretentious (which i'm sure it is to some degree), what kind of pretentious are we talking about? when you lived in dc, did you frequent dupont circle or clarendon? is it that kind of pretentious?

Old 09-28-2010, 07:36 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,868,334 times
live in south tampa. It is right near base, and NOTHING IN THIS AREA... NOTHING compares to DC snobbery. There is some south tampa snobbery, but you'll be fine coming from DC. your commute to work will be less then 10 minutes. Don't live in anything in pinellas. granted, your 45 minute to hour commute to work will be better then DC, but there are better places to live. the people that are saying it is 30-40 minutes to macdill have never tried to get on base in the morning.

I am a CTR that works on base, in the same building you would work in, I am quite familiar with with the Tampa area. I would be more then happy to provide insight to the base and surrounding communities.

Why move from DC to FL and still have to sit in your car for a long time each day??? South Tampa/Westshore is where you need to be

Old 09-28-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
thanks for the recommendations! i've heard good things about pinellas.

when you say south tampa is pretentious (which i'm sure it is to some degree), what kind of pretentious are we talking about? when you lived in dc, did you frequent dupont circle or clarendon? is it that kind of pretentious?
LOL, I love the scary face.

South Tampa to me is more Clarendon pretentious than Dupont (where I lived).
I found Clarendon to be more status and materialistic driven, versus body image driven in Dupont (though Dupont had its share of status poseurs).

Old 09-28-2010, 07:45 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,868,334 times
Quote:

I found Clarendon to be more status and materialistic driven, versus body image driven in Dupont (though Dupont had its share of status poseurs).
south tampa has a lot of status poseurs (waitresses with BMWs) that are very trend oriented, but this is mostly the 20-30 crowd. I find that the people in their 30s and 40s in south tampa are more chill. the ones that dont grow out of the pretentious phase move to a golf community in north tampa to live the life of "real housewives of oranage county"

Old 09-28-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:

i see. clarendon's pretentious ways can be dealt with in small doses (and there are also some very laid back folks in clarendon as well). dupont is terrible. i can't stand most people there.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
live in south tampa. It is right near base, and NOTHING IN THIS AREA... NOTHING compares to DC snobbery. There is some south tampa snobbery, but you'll be fine coming from DC. your commute to work will be less then 10 minutes. Don't live in anything in pinellas. granted, your 45 minute to hour commute to work will be better then DC, but there are better places to live. the people that are saying it is 30-40 minutes to macdill have never tried to get on base in the morning.

I am a CTR that works on base, in the same building you would work in, I am quite familiar with with the Tampa area. I would be more then happy to provide insight to the base and surrounding communities.

Why move from DC to FL and still have to sit in your car for a long time each day??? South Tampa/Westshore is where you need to be
i hear ya. i wish it were that easy. i have to keep my future wife's commute in mind, too, depending on where we both find jobs. ideally we'd both work near the south tampa area but the market down there is nothing like dc, where we could both find new jobs in a day.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:10 AM

15,189 posts, read 31,132,279 times
Depending where in Sarasota, commute will be minimum one hour or more. My hubby drives to downtown Tampa each day from north Sarasota, and his commute is one hour door-to-door.

Depending where in Pinellas could be 45 minutes or more depending on traffic, etc.

There are a lot of nice neighborhoods in South Tampa, yes there are some snobs there, but it's far, far, from being a 100% snobby or pretentious area. I have relatives who have lived in one of the "snobbiest areas (Beach Park) for years, and let me tell you, they are far, far from being snobby in the least.

Take a look at Ballast Point, close to the base and one of my favorite south Tampa nabes!

Old 09-28-2010, 08:26 AM

Granted the 27 mile trip from Oldsmar to MacDill could take 45 minutes (or an hour on a really bad day), but not on the 10 mile drive from Feather Sound. My advice is to take a look around and see what you like best. There are a disproportionate number of Tampa area members on this board (given the fact that Pinellas County is only slightly smaller in population), so take that into consideration as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or