Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 04:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,485 times

Advertisements

Hi,

IMO Historic Kenwood is a really good pick for someone in your situation.
I'm a 30-something professional and moved there about 3 years ago from California - never had any regrets. It contains one of the largest collections of 1920-s era Craftsman bungalows in the state. Many of the streets are brick-lined with large oak trees. The neighborhood is adjacent to the Grand Central District, which provides lots of independent restaurants, pubs, and shops within walking distance. HK is very gay-friendly and has arguably the most active neighborhood association in the city. We have monthly porch party get-togethers, an annual art festival, an annual homes tour, picnics, cleanups, a softball team, and more. You'll be hard pressed to find a more community-minded neighborhood. And the home prices are about half the cost of what you'd find in Old Northeast.

Now on the downside, yeah the area to the West along 34th St. does have issues with prostitution. But you get the same thing on 4th Street adjacent to other neighborhoods you mentioned. There have also been some auto break-ins, but I don't think it's any worse than other parts of the city. We have a very active neighborhood watch program and neighbors tend to go out of their way to look out for each other.

I also happen to be president of the neighborhood association, so maybe I'm a bit biased. =)
But if you're interested, feel free to contact me and I'll take you out for a tour (and a beer if you like).

Cheers,

- Tim Martin
[email]ftimothymartin@yahoo.com[/email]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 05:11 PM

39 posts, read 174,421 times
I live in Lakewood Estates and it is great for walking, roller blading or riding bikes. There is a very active neighborhood association and a very low crime rate. Welcome to Lakewood Estates

Old 10-01-2010, 07:59 PM

436 posts, read 1,116,966 times
Do homes in the Old Northeast not have pools?! I've looked online and haven't found one yet.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:22 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,274,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbillyx View Post
Do homes in the Old Northeast not have pools?! I've looked online and haven't found one yet.
Most probably won't. It's one of the oldest neighborhoods in St. Pete and residential pools are a relatively new (suburban) item.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:18 PM

158 posts, read 283,544 times
Just curious, on the map where would I find Old NE? Also, does any one know of a good rental site for Townhomes/houses in St Pete area? I will be moving there and I have been looking online at a few places but thought I might ask the locals if there are any better sites then what I have found. Does any one know what middle schools are like in Old NE or is this more of a singles area to live??

Old 10-02-2010, 08:25 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,274,405 times
Old Northeast is north of 5th Avenue North and east of 1st Street Northeast. I don't know where the northern boundary is, but I'd imagine it would be somewhere in between 22nd and 30th Avenues North. In short, Old Northeast consists of the homes on the streets near Downtown with a "NE" suffix.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:22 AM

I'll have to take a look around in the Old Northeast, although not having a pool is a big detractor (and may result in us skipping it altogether).

Old 10-04-2010, 08:39 AM

How about Greater Woodlawn, Five Points, Magnolia Heights? Are the neighborhoods North and Northwest of Old Northeast nice and safe as well?

I know South St Pete is bad but what about the North?

I see MLK runs North-South in the city. Is anything off that road bad (even in Greater Woodlawn)?

Thanks.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:25 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,080,482 times
MLK is basically 9th st. and gets a bit seedy south of the downtown area but anything north of the downtown area can be quite nice, i like the area around Crescent lake.
If a pool is a must then some of the newer homes north of 62nd ave n might be more likely to have pools.
If you like casual seafood dining give the 4th st Shrimp Store a try.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
MLK is basically 9th st. and gets a bit seedy south of the downtown area but anything north of the downtown area can be quite nice, i like the area around Crescent lake.
If a pool is a must then some of the newer homes north of 62nd ave n might be more likely to have pools.
If you like casual seafood dining give the 4th st Shrimp Store a try.
Thanks for the info. So, it sounds like North and Northeast of downtown are fine/safe neighborhoods? I'm most likely going to rule out South, as I've heard it's unsafe. However, the impression I'm also getting is that it tends to get sketchy going West (even Northwest) of downtown. Is that true?

If I'm looking for a nice, safe neighborhood that I don't have to worry much about my wife walking around at night, do I want to stick to neighborhoods North and Northeast of downtown/375/Mirror Lake?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay