Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 01:34 PM

3 posts, read 3,564 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Clearwater and the end of November for school. Classes start early January and I wanted to get acquainted with my new city before then, so to all the natives, what is tops on your list of things to do? Im looking for things that are free or low cost since moving from NY is going to take a lot out of my budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 01:38 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,308,809 times
become a scientologist, that is where the HQ is!

Of course you will want to go to the beach. I think clearwater beach is ranked like 6th in the nation!

Where in NY are you moving from?

Old 09-29-2010, 06:59 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
become a scientologist, that is where the HQ is!

Of course you will want to go to the beach. I think clearwater beach is ranked like 6th in the nation!

Where in NY are you moving from?

Yea scientologists may stalk, but they are super nice to you if you show them support. Show up with a protest sign FOR SCIENTOLOGY and you will be brought in with open arms and maybe a few of them will pay off your car payments for you. Welcome to Clearwater. Home sweet Xenu home.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:02 PM

3 posts, read 3,564 times
Im coming from Buffalo, NY. I know about the beach, there has to be more to do in Clearwater than going to the beach, right? I heard something about feeding pelicans? I have about a month to kill before school starts so any ideas are welcome

Old 09-29-2010, 10:14 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
I am not a native, but my first thought was "hug yourself." I think that is the one place in Florida that I would love to live.

The sand is textured like sugar and I remember spending a lot of time around Pier 60.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:31 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
There are lots of things to do in the area not necessarily in Clearwater. You can go to Ybor City in Tampa on a Saturday, go for a ghost walk there, ride the trolly, go for a cuban sandwich or other wonderful cuban food. There are art/music festivals around this time of year too. Take a boat ride to Caladesi Island an spend the day on the beach. Go to Tarpon Springs check out some greek food and the sponge docks.

There is a good book 'One tank trips by Bill Murphy' off the beaten path.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:43 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Not much to do in Clearwater other than beach activities and restaurants,there is a small Dilapidated mainstreet on the other side of the causeway but its day came and went 50 years ago, now the big attraction is the mall out at highway 60 and highway 19 (Countryside Mall?)
Take a drive down to Ft Desoto.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:28 PM

5,021 posts, read 7,224,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhughson87 View Post
Im coming from Buffalo, NY. I know about the beach, there has to be more to do in Clearwater than going to the beach, right? I heard something about feeding pelicans? I have about a month to kill before school starts so any ideas are welcome
There's the beach and......well, that's pretty much it-and there's not much to do at the beach.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:07 AM

5 posts, read 7,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
now the big attraction is the mall out at highway 60 and highway 19 (Countryside Mall?)
That would be Clearwater Mall (at SR60 and US19), which is no longer a mall. They knocked it down and made it an open-air center. It's not bad, but not the shopping mecca which is actually Countryside Mall on US19 at SR580 in Northeast Clearwater. http://westfield.com/countryside/

Old 10-01-2010, 06:53 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhughson87 View Post
I am moving to Clearwater and the end of November for school. Classes start early January and I wanted to get acquainted with my new city before then, so to all the natives, what is tops on your list of things to do? Im looking for things that are free or low cost since moving from NY is going to take a lot out of my budget.

Haha, got to love all these people that are consistently negative. If you plan on hanging out here on the forums, get used to it.

If you're looking for inexpensive things to do, here you go.

Obviously Clearwater Beach, but there are other beaches around that you should check out as well too.

Go for a bike ride or jog on the Pinellas Trail.

Check out Pier 60

Go to Tampabay.com and look up events. I do this all the time and there are several free festivals going on.

Play a round of mini-golf

There are lots of stuff 'in the area' such as ybor, but it's a 30 - 45 minute drive to get there. Not sure if thats classified as 'in your area'. You will need a car/scooter/motorcycle to live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay