U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 10:29 AM

3,378 posts, read 7,894,532 times

Advertisements

We are beginning searching for homes in the area to buy. We will not be putting in offer for about 9 months but want to start feeling out the market.

We have it narrowed down to a pretty small area... which is good... that's half the battle. A pool is a requirement for out home, but since we are so limited in the area we are looking at this makes it more difficult.

I understand that it is significantly cheaper to buy a home with an existing pool then it is to have one built. With that said, if we find the right house but it doesn't have a pool, I would be willing to install one as long as its doesn't cost me as much as a Mercedes. Obviously cost depends on the pool itself.

I have seen online DIY in ground pools. Obviously the pool shape and size would depend on the property but I am finding complete kits for $5,000 up to $9,000 (yes, I understand this does not include decking). This seems significantly less than having a traditional plaster pool installed.

Anybody have experience with DIY In ground pools that use vinyl liners? What is your opinion/experiences with them.

Also, is it possible to screen in a pool as a DIY project? From what I can see they look like they have to be custom fabricated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 10:35 AM

21,193 posts, read 30,379,606 times
I don't have any experience with DIY pools but I do with vinyl liners. AVOID! They're notorious for tearing/ripping and repair is costly. Was there a huge differential between a concrete pour and a vinyl liner?

Old 09-30-2010, 10:40 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,690,044 times
We have an in ground pool.

Had it built when our home was being built in 2006. We would never have another one built after we were in the home because we had one installed in our 20 year old PA home before we move to Florida. It was a mess and a complete disaster for us as a home owner. Hurry up and wait...

Too many regulations needed after the home is erected so I would not think twice about saying try an above the ground pool. However, the look kinda resembles a transient trailer park, I am told.

Two of our friends each has an above ground pool in PSL and it does serve them and their familiess well. Nice shrubs do cover the entire exterior walls except for a 3' opening to get in and swim or sit or do whatever. The liner will work as long as they are careful not to cut it. We push off from the walls with our feet and it works for them...Cost varied for each and they were $3-$5,500... Our in ground cost us $35k....

Good luck.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:56 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,793,259 times
Vinyl liner? One question: do you have a dog?

Old 09-30-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
Vinyl liner? One question: do you have a dog?

2 Dogs, neither of them go in the pool though. We also don;t play with anything sharp in the pool.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:45 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,690,044 times
A vinyl liner is much smoother than a concrete pool and on a slope to the deeper end of the vinyl is slippery.

The digging can be expensive for a vinyl liner because it has to be very close to the shape of the vinyl insert. Then there is the reinforcing shields that go between the ground and the liner.

If I may recommend something just try and find a home with a pool already installed.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:53 PM

2,719 posts, read 4,403,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
If I may recommend something just try and find a home with a pool already installed.
I can't emphasize more, if cost-effectiveness is the goal.

When we bought a house a year and some change ago, the appraiser credit the swimming pool a measly 10K. Let alone the cost of its construction but the sellers just finished resurfacing it with some marble touches at a cost of 6K, which I found later from all the documents that they left me and I was like wow!

Swimming pool is just like a car, it depreciates in no time!

Old 09-30-2010, 07:43 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,793,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
2 Dogs, neither of them go in the pool though. We also don;t play with anything sharp in the pool.
Was that the Alaska outdoor swimming pool or the Florida one that they don't go in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
Swimming pool is just like a car, it depreciates in no time!
Even worse. At least a car you can drive to work to earn money to make payments. Having a swimming pool could actually decrease the pool of potential buyers. Since I swim laps, backyard pools are never enough. And having taken care of my parents' pool growing up, I'd never buy a house that had one, not without the prior owner deeply discounting the price enough to pay for cleaning and electric costs throughout my ownership.

Certainly if I had little kids, I'd want a pool for them & their friends. Just plan on raising koi in it once you've raised your kids.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:19 AM

34,384 posts, read 41,480,724 times
Lot of long time residents have come to dislike pools as they never use them and maintenance costs and cleaning become a chore, so dont look at a house with a pool as being a big selling advantage.in fact when you are looking at houses use the fact that it has a pool as a negative and tell the sellers that you'll have to go to the trouble of filling in the pool but if they knock $10K of the price of the house you may still be interested.

PS. Trying to build your own inground pool will become your worst nightmare.buy a jacuzzi instead.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:09 AM

I knew the answer would be to find a home with an existing pool for cost effectiveness, I've seen this answer before. I have heard the argument that its more cost effective but to assume it negatively impacts the value of a home or makes no difference is not true. At least not in the area I am looking in. When searching, a house under $185,000 without a pool is a much nicer and often larger house than a $185,000 home with a pool. Plus, I think many of the pools on the homes in this area are 30+ years old, which I would imagine would be costly.

My question was more along the lines of.... has anybody had experience or known someone who has done a DIY Inground pool that has a vinyl liner? I figure either A) I'll have someone chime in who has had this done this or B) Know someone who has done this.

I understand a pool is not for everyone, however for my family its imperative we have one.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay