Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2007, 08:21 PM

15 posts, read 77,820 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I'm going to be a PhD student at USF next year and am moving to the Temple Terrace area in a few weeks. Really excited and really nervous at the same time (especially since I'm a cold-weather person!).

I was wondering if anyone could answer two questions for me.

1) Recommended banks? Bank of America is the big one, but I've heard nothing but bad things from people with accounts there...maintenances fees on everything and other problems, etc. Are there HSBCs down there? If not, any other recommendations? If someone can convince me Bank of America isn't bad I'm not opposed, that's just what I've heard so far.

2) Cell phone carriers. I have Verizon. Any particular reason to switch? I know certain carriers get better reception in certain locations but I assume Tampa is a large enough city where any carrier would work.

Thanks a ton everyone! Can't wait to move down there and start adjusting. Won't have much time for fun stuff, but it seems like's plenty to do on those rare occasions I have time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 05:55 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,379,348 times
Banks - I have Bank of America, and about the only thing I like about them is the NUMEROUS ATM's EVERYWHERE!!! But just dont expect friendly service if you have an issue, service fees for lots(although both my checking and savings are no frills, and I do most my banking..no make that all my banking on-line).

Cell - Verizon has worked best for me in the Bay area. I had ATT and Cingular, and got alot of dropped calls, etc. Now I have Verizon for about a year, no problems.

Welcome!

Old 07-03-2007, 11:58 AM

141 posts, read 754,333 times
Everyone I know down here that has verizon says it's absolutely awful, and I know for a fact that Temple Terrace hardly gets any service from them. I have Cingular (ATT) and it's the best provider I've ever had. I NEVER have any dropped calls, I have FULL service everywhere I go. Haven't had any problems whatsoever. Plus our selection of phones are awesome.

Last edited by Jammie; 07-03-2007 at 01:00 PM..

Old 07-03-2007, 01:01 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,379,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-town View Post
Everyone I know down here that has verizon says it's absolutely awful, and I know for a fact that Temple Terrace hardly gets any service from them. I have Cingular (ATT) and it's the best provider I've ever had. I NEVER have any dropped calls, I have FULL service everywhere I go. Haven't had any problems whatsoever. Plus our selection of phones are awesome.
LOL..why would I lie? I live in South Tampa, and travel for my job, and just telling it like it is...Cingular(ATT) was the worst reception for ME. And when you say "our" selection of phones, something tells me you may actually work for Cingular(ATT)??

Last edited by Jammie; 07-03-2007 at 11:23 PM.. Reason: partially orphaned~I had just deleted the offensive sentence in the previous post

Old 07-03-2007, 07:01 PM

57 posts, read 196,808 times
Verizon has the best service in this entire area and you should look at USF Federal Credit Union for your banking needs.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Good luck.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:32 PM

15 posts, read 77,820 times
Such contrasting opinions on cell phone carriers

Doesn't matter though, I just renewed my Verizon contract for 2 years based on the earlier post. I expect it will work fine and if it proves otherwise I'll ***** until the let me out of their contract.

Don't know terribly much about "Federal Credit Union" types - does it differ from normal banking in any way?

Old 07-03-2007, 10:29 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times
Suntrust Bank is a good bank down here. A local bank, The Bank of Tampa, is very good (but has limited locations). Bank of America is everywhere. I don't recommend AmSouth, First Home Bank, Wachovia or Washington Mutual, but I'm a bookkeeper and I'm mainly comparing business services between the various banks. My personal account is with Suntrust. I like them because deposits made by close of business are credited the same day - no more of the have to deposit by 2:00 hassle.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:31 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times
Afterthought here....check with the banks near the school -many of the banks have student accounts with reduced (or no) fees. MacDill Fed Credit Union and Suncoast Schools credit union are pretty good too.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:25 AM

7 posts, read 23,242 times
Red face banks-verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonO View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm going to be a PhD student at USF next year and am moving to the Temple Terrace area in a few weeks. Really excited and really nervous at the same time (especially since I'm a cold-weather person!).

I was wondering if anyone could answer two questions for me.

1) Recommended banks? Bank of America is the big one, but I've heard nothing but bad things from people with accounts there...maintenances fees on everything and other problems, etc. Are there HSBCs down there? If not, any other recommendations? If someone can convince me Bank of America isn't bad I'm not opposed, that's just what I've heard so far.

2) Cell phone carriers. I have Verizon. Any particular reason to switch? I know certain carriers get better reception in certain locations but I assume Tampa is a large enough city where any carrier would work.

Thanks a ton everyone! Can't wait to move down there and start adjusting. Won't have much time for fun stuff, but it seems like's plenty to do on those rare occasions I have time.
No on the Bank of America, big pain in rear, try WAMU(washington mutual) NO fees of any kind, or USF credit union specifically for students, or MacDill credit union.

Keep Verizon they have good coverage here. I have t-mobile and like them but know that verizon has just as good coverage and you are in a good area so no reason to change unless you just want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: