U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 07:40 AM

4 posts, read 11,743 times

Advertisements

'Morning City-Data Users:
After a couple of months of looking up & down, east & west for a new home in the Tampa Bay area, I've set my heart on the downtown/Channelside area... I'm soliciting your comments/opinions about the Grand Central complex... good, bad, happy, sad? [The condo fees are 45cents/sqft. There seems to be more tenants than homeowners. There are many empty condo complexes in the area...]Please advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 07:50 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,869,964 times
Channelside doesn't have a lot to offer besides condos. You wont get real "city living". You'll have to drive for groceries, food, and nightlife.

It is a nice place to live, but these places can be rented for dirt cheap. Homeowners are taking a loss on their condos that were orignally intended to be rental property investments.

My suggestion- rent there for a year... If you love it, buy a condo there! Best thing about condos is you get to try a community before you buy. most people are renting in channelside because it is much cheaper then owning. the monthly fees are outrageous. you are talking $540 a month for a 1200 sq ft condo! on top of a $2200 mortgage payment with insurance and taxes.. you can rent there for $1200.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:02 PM

161 posts, read 398,502 times
if im not mistaken, you will be right on the port... i mean right on it.

ive thought a few times over the past year as ive driven by there that there seemed to be an awful lot of condos built during the boom that are merely sitting... vast amounts of buildings empty.

whenever i drive past, i tell myself to make sure to look up stats on air quality and pollutants for being so close to the port but i havent gotten around to it. i know that some people wouldnt want to live that close to the port with all its industrial look.... personally, im not sure if that aspect would bug me or not.

craigm is right though, in that its faux-city... youll have to drive everywhere for everything... just like everywhere else in this paradise.

as a side note though: i believe they will be extending the street car system that runs through channel side into downtown tampa. at the moment, downtown tampa mostly closes before 5. however, with the obama light rail being built to orlando... plus the aforementioned street car...

who knows maybe you wouldnt always have to use your car... but this is years away... and maybe im dreaming.... i also wish we had a ferry to shuttle from one side of the bay to the other

Old 10-01-2010, 12:18 PM

aninaction- The western views have incredible downtown skyline views. second only to the veiws from skypoint and element downtown.

i really encourage people to wait and see what encore has to offer. That is what I am waiting on.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:16 PM

4 posts, read 11,743 times
Thank you 'craigm1841' and 'aninaction' for your expeditious and excellent input. Indeed, I was sold instantly by the city view, (having come from the flat country of New Orleans ;-) plus the comtemparary design of the Grand Central... I'm drawn to the amenities of the Westshore area wherein newer properties are few and prices are high... "Ground control to Major Tom... And I think my spaceship doesn't know which way to go..." ;-)

Old 10-01-2010, 02:27 PM

1,342 posts, read 1,712,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
Channelside doesn't have a lot to offer besides condos. You wont get real "city living". You'll have to drive for groceries, food, and nightlife.

It is a nice place to live, but these places can be rented for dirt cheap. Homeowners are taking a loss on their condos that were orignally intended to be rental property investments.

My suggestion- rent there for a year... If you love it, buy a condo there! Best thing about condos is you get to try a community before you buy. most people are renting in channelside because it is much cheaper then owning. the monthly fees are outrageous. you are talking $540 a month for a 1200 sq ft condo! on top of a $2200 mortgage payment with insurance and taxes.. you can rent there for $1200.
I just realized that the area has NO grocery stores near it. Funny you say it. Its rather peculiar for a downtown area to have few or no food stores even near it. I think the closest market to there is like heading down N Nebraska somewhere or something.
Its not an area I would consider myself.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:02 PM

572 posts, read 1,316,322 times
There is a Publix right there on Cleveland and Bayshore, i think... well, i guess it's still there, right?

Old 10-01-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
I just realized that the area has NO grocery stores near it. Funny you say it. Its rather peculiar for a downtown area to have few or no food stores even near it. I think the closest market to there is like heading down N Nebraska somewhere or something.
Its not an area I would consider myself.
It is a catch 22. Nobody wants to move in because lack of grocery/dining/dry cleaning/etc. those businesses dont want to open up because nobody is living there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird2000 View Post
There is a Publix right there on Cleveland and Bayshore, i think... well, i guess it's still there, right?
It's still there, but you have to go all the way across downtown to get to it. not walkable IMO. Although I have walked from the rack to the channelside towers haha.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:55 PM

24 posts, read 83,280 times
They are in the process of building a grocery store just a few miles away, not far from the Amtrak station.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:30 AM

21 posts, read 64,232 times
Default Channelside/ Grand Central

How safe is the area around Grand Central/Channelside neighborhood? Is it a safe are to have small children?
I spoke to someone in the rental office there and she said that there were businesses on the bottom floor, wine bar, dry cleaner, etc is this correct. We are looking to relocate from out of state and will have limited time to find a place when we get in to town so all details would be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay