Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 11:52 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post

Just sayin'

EDIT: Oh, and for anyone who thinks that education doesn't matter...
ha..yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk...what in tar...nation does all that stuff mean!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 11:53 AM

161 posts, read 450,385 times
ah, and the trolls emerge to tell us how college education isnt an indicator of anything.

Dont get me wrong... the quality of a college education has gone down while its cost has gone up in a way that is unbalanced.

imho: the issue is that most people dont bother to find an outlet for their education, whether in the academic sense or the personal sense, but very much more often, if one is lacking the other might be too. i can tell you that the young professionals i know in other cities can have nice discussions about many issues, either historical, philosophical, or political. Here, it's like pulling teeth, and the conversation one does get is so lackluster its not even funny.

im not surprised at all that tampa lags.

off-topic, but out of curiosity: what was the last book you read? the last periodical? the last puzzle you had to solve? the last process you had to create? what is a new source of information that you've found recently that you feel warrants credibility?

Old 10-01-2010, 12:07 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,301,824 times
I don't think it's trolling to suggest that a college education isn't everything. We still need people with vo-tech degrees/certificates and service employees. I'm not trying to defend Tampa's low number, since it's a shame that the Bay Area can't attract more professionals, but professionals by themselves don't make a city thrive.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:08 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,332,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
ha..yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk...what in tar...nation does all that stuff mean!?
Dat maybe edumacation helps ya read da big pretty picture?

http://www.minnpost.com/client_files/alternate_images/10374/mp_main_wide_MomsEducation452.jpg (broken link)

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dendrite

see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroplasticity

Last edited by housingcrashsurvivor; 10-01-2010 at 12:26 PM..

Old 10-01-2010, 12:24 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,308,196 times
I dont think anyone said education doesnt matter. Education absolutely does matter. I hope it does or I am wasting my time. I just dont think lack of an education makes someone dumb per se. I am a proponent for education, but I have an office full of coworkers, some with doctorates, some with nothing. I can assure you some of the smartest people dont have a PhD on their wall.

But all the smarty-pants are too busy blowing this discussion out of proportion, they haven't even noticed the train derailed about two miles back.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:48 PM

And yet, as shown by stats, a lack of education can not only hurt somebody's chances to remain employed throughout their life, but it can actually cause somebody to be twice as likely to lose their baby to death or twice as likely to develop dementia in older age, per se.

What does having more infant deaths do to an area's vitality. How does having more people who might require nursing home care affect the allocation of an areas financial resources? How does having less professionals affect an area's financial stability & growth? How does this all affect the quality of life in Tampa? Does the situation warrant improvement? What can be done?

None of that matters, now that we know this thread has been judged to have been derailed two miles back, for there is no sense in discussing the topic further. Thread closed, apparently.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:51 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,628,169 times
Well when you look at the news around Tampa you do have to wonder.

Just today another bike rider was killed, this is the 6th one in TB since the end of July. Because of another red light runner.

I have never seen such aggressive and poorly trained drivers as there are here. I realize many come from out state, but FL hands a license over to anyone.

Then you have so many incidents here of child abuse and animal abuse, it is a weekly story on the news here.

And the many gun toting citizens that feel they must be armed at all times, because FL hands out CW permits like they're candy. Look what just happened in Valrico, all over a teenager skateboarding on a basketball court. That story was both tragic and dumb.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:55 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,585,830 times
Everyone I have known from Riverside, California was an idiot, so the #1 spot there for Riverside is not surprising.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:01 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,308,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
And yet, as shown by stats, a lack of education can not only hurt somebody's chances to remain employed throughout their life, but it can actually cause somebody to be twice as likely to lose their baby to death or twice as likely to develop dementia in older age, per se.

What does having more infant deaths do to an area's vitality. How does having more people who might require nursing home care affect the allocation of an areas financial resources? How does having less professionals affect an area's financial stability & growth? How does this all affect the quality of life in Tampa? Does the situation warrant improvement? What can be done?

None of that matters, now that we know this thread has been judged to have been derailed two miles back, for there is no sense in discussing the topic further. Thread closed, apparently.
what does any of this have to do with being "dumb" as the title of the thread states? Sometimes you argue for the sake of arguing. You babble on and on and your response doesn't even address the point I was making although your post is clearly in reponse to my post. You look like a fool and everyone knows it but you. Don't bother responding to me... I have lost interest in this thread and your rediculous moronic mumbling. I wont be checking in on this topic again.

/unsubscribed

Old 10-01-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
what does any of this have to do with being "dumb" as the title of the thread states? Sometimes you argue for the sake of arguing. You babble on and on and your response doesn't even address the point I was making although your post is clearly in reponse to my post. You look like a fool and everyone knows it but you. Don't bother responding to me... I have lost interest in this thread and your rediculous moronic mumbling. I wont be checking in on this topic again.

/unsubscribed
Normally I couldn't care about someone's spelling. However, since you are so quick to tell everyone how intelligent you are and how their ideas aren't worth the bother, for your future reference, it is ridiculous.

also, by the way, /unsubcribed = subscribed
so much for signals intelligence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay