U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2010, 08:16 PM

30 posts, read 52,970 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone!

I've been here for almost 3.5 months, but still have problems with getting new friends here.

I think that if I was in a colledge i would have got a lot of new friends, but since I already finished university in Russia, so I don't need to continue studying anywhere.

Right now I just want to find some people, who like riding bicycle for fun (not racers with high-speed racing bikes) and people who would like to go to the beach on weekends to have fun there.

I've been in Clearwater several times and I know that it's not cool to go to the beach alone where your only friends are crubs, sea shells and sea stars. You know what I mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 08:42 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,055,544 times
Have you tried www.meetup.com? It is a website for people who have an interest in something and they get together and do that activity. Example: if you like kayaking, there is a kayaking group that meets somewhere and a whole group of people will kayak somewhere. If you like photography and hiking, there might be a group that goes hiking and you can take pictures with the others on your hike.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:58 PM

Thank you for link.

I tried to search, but unfortunately didn't find any interestiong groups for me.

I'm going to create a new group there.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:27 PM

Unfortunately that service isn't free, and there are not so many members in groups that I found there. I think that if I want to make friends, so I don't have to pay for that. I'll try to find other ways.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:23 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,244,921 times
SerjB,

This area can be tough finding friends w/ common interests. Many find friends through work or hobbies/sports/volunteering.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:06 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,933,160 times
There are several groups involving bikes and cycling. (I did a search to find these)
biking Meetups near Tampa, Florida - Meetup

Go to a bike store and ask them if they know of any groups.

Beach group
Tampa Bay Area Social Club (Saint Petersburg, FL) - Meetup (http://www.meetup.com/TampaBayareasocialclub/ - broken link)
Beach Meetups near Tampa, Florida - Beach Meetups - Tampa

There are also volleyball and other groups. Go and just watch if nothing else, you can meet folks that way.

Not in Tampa but in Orlando
russia Meetups near Tampa, Florida - Meetup

I agree with volunteering too.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:33 PM

77 posts, read 181,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerjR View Post
Hi, everyone!

I've been here for almost 3.5 months, but still have problems with getting new friends here.

I think that if I was in a colledge i would have got a lot of new friends, but since I already finished university in Russia, so I don't need to continue studying anywhere.

Right now I just want to find some people, who like riding bicycle for fun (not racers with high-speed racing bikes) and people who would like to go to the beach on weekends to have fun there.

I've been in Clearwater several times and I know that it's not cool to go to the beach alone where your only friends are crubs, sea shells and sea stars. You know what I mean.
I understand your situation. I went through this when I moved out here, and as some of the people here have said, it is extremely difficult to make friends here, especially if you are not big into drinking and partying.

I know some people have suggested meetup, and I tried that quite a lot. However, many people on most meetup groups tend to be a lot older, and while there is nothing wrong with that, you just don't feel the same way you would if you were with a group of people in your age group.

The only thing you can do is keep trying. It isn't going to be easy (especially if you aren't born and raised here, it is almost hostile when it comes to this aspect!), so I wish you luck . Things have gotten better for me, but myself and several other people I talked to feel that is sad if it is so tough for outgoing, diverse and educated young people to make friends here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or