Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 09:43 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,331,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironsmurf View Post
wow.. this chat is crazy to me.. I recently did a half ironman over here in scotland.. water temp was 54.5 degrees and it was described as "pleasant". Did a full ironman in england and water temp was 62.6 and this was seen as being warm!! We wore wetsuits but it doesnt do much when the water seeps in.. in fact after the scottish event I had to have a good check to see whether to identify myself as male or female for visa purposes!!;0) Man I can't wait to walk into open water without shrieking like a little girl.. Hurry up USCIS!!
I was going to joke about how once in Tampa from Scotland, you'd still be another half way to Hawaii's annual Ironman event (though the Pacific is gonna be colder than the Gulf, so you'll feel more at home there). Googled out of curiosity and found them headquartered here.

Corporate Info » IRONMAN.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 09:50 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,120,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
I'm not convinced he's all here yet. I think I saw him hunting walrus on Clearwater Beach.
Nah, not big on Walrus, you have those huge pieces of ivory which you have to figure out what to do with, without going to jail. I was searching for some Seals though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
I went swimming at Sand Key yesterday and it was chilly, but not impossible to get used to. I don't know what the water temp was, but I'm guessing upper 70's.

FK, I just looked at the water temps off the Alaskan coast, and they are in the mid 40's. It's a bit better here, right?

I think you just feel ripped off because you got here late in the summer. Next year will be better. Although, I'm bemoaning the upcoming end of beach season myself.
First rule of living anywhere in Alaska... you don;t swim in the ocean unless you are doing a "Polar Bear Plunge" or too drunk to realize what you are doing. I get cold just clamming on the beaches of Alaska, taking a dip.... no way. Although I am sure there are some people who do it.... with wet suits.

I think you may be right. Wince we got here in the tail end of summer we feel cheated. But when looking at the temps of back where we used to live... summer is still alive and well. DW and the older kids have decided to go ahead and swim anyway. I'll get in, but not real keen to do so. The youngest..... forget about it. He would rather sit on the stairs with his ankles in the water and be eaten alive by Mosquitoes instead of getting in that water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Cin! View Post
Poor Kash, he aclimatized quickly. Next you'll catch him driving with his blinker on and using the ECV's at Walmart.
Blinkers? What are those? ECV's are much too slow for me so I have been passing them up. I have also learned how to avoid all those shopping carts sitting all over parking lots. Shop at ALDI. They require a 25 cent deposit when you grab your cart. When you put the cart back when done, you get your 25 cents back. Amazing that they have no carts in their parking lots.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:05 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,331,908 times
I was going to say seals but switched to walrus both because it's a funnier picture and because seals brought two sad events to mind: one commonly known, clubbing; but one less known, extinction.

Florida once had seals.

Caribbean Monk Seal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EXTINCTION: NOAA confirms Caribbean monk seal extinct « The Conservation Report

Old 10-11-2010, 11:19 AM

707 posts, read 1,466,242 times
I'm currently at clearwater beach, water is cold to me but my daughter is having fun.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:41 PM

329 posts, read 774,862 times
so i guess the old, what do you want to drink. the seal replies anything but a canadian club joke is to soon???

Last edited by newguy101; 10-11-2010 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: wording
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay