Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 11:13 PM

14 posts, read 49,599 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving our family to the Tampa area by next summer. We currently live in the township of Flint, just outside the city. http://www.city-data.com/city/Flint-Michigan.html. If you can check this site, you will see why we are taking our family and RUNNING to Florida.
I have read alot of these forums, and have to say that Fl looks like paradise in comparison.
There are NO jobs here. And I dont mean in the Flint area in general, I mean the whole state. Our wonderful Gov. is praising herself to no end that in the 5 years she has been Gov. ONE company opened a "headquarters" here and created 300 jobs! WOW... and the people are so "smart" they put her back in office after using that data to run her campaign! Now that the Auto Industry has fallen apart here, teenagers cannot even get summer jobs at a fast food place! All the adults have taken even those jobs trying to make ends meet. The only industry left is healthcare.. we have alot of that. But without jobs.. no insurance.. less helthcare jobs later too! And the Upper_P what a joke! Half that part of the state carries only seasonal jobs sinse the snow is so overwhelming most everything closes except for snow mobiling!
My husband is graduating from UofM this December, and we are going to Tampa. We have friends there, in Orlando, Cape Coral and Miami.. all hailing from MI. We are used to crime,stormy weather, and diverse culture.
Any given day I can check the local newspapers for jobs and find over a 1000 listed in the last 7 days in that area. And bugs? We have tons of them here. Just on a smaller scale due to the short summers.
To sum it up, I just want to know how bad it could really be there? We are in our early 30s and have two girls 8/13. There must be nice area's that are suitable for raising a family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 11:30 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,609,664 times
I don't think it's that bad here. I've lived in Baton Rouge, Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, Destin (FL panhandle), Mobile and Ft. Lauderdale before landing here, and I like it here. Depending on what job field you're in, you can probably find work here. I don't have kids so I can't help you with rating the schools, but if you check the discussions here, you'll find several about the various school areas.

Welcome, and good luck!

HOWEVER....again, depending on you and your husband's job field, you might also check out Albuequerque and other areas of NM. A friend of mine moved there last year and I've been pleasantly surprised by what I've been seeing as I research the state.

Last edited by Jammie; 07-03-2007 at 11:33 PM.. Reason: merged

Old 07-04-2007, 10:01 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,963,833 times
tampa is great, especially if u have decent money....coming from lauderdale myself this place is paradise

Old 07-05-2007, 11:23 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,135 times
I'm from Detroit and haven't touched foot in MI since 1989....and have no need to....

The Tampa Bay area is great. And they do welcome Michiganders on the west coast amazingly.

I've heard the horror stories of employment in MI and can't even imagine life there at this point & time.

There are some great job opportunities in the area & with degrees from UofM...there shouldn't be a problem However, I must inform you, as a Spartan alumnus, MSU is the University of Michigan! LOL

Old 07-05-2007, 11:56 AM

7 posts, read 24,661 times
I hear you about Michigan. We are moving from MI next summer too. My husband's job is transferring there. Thankfully he has a job right now but we have friends who lost their jobs and moved to Texas. Michigan is failing fast, and I agree with you about the cause too.

Macdevon

Old 07-05-2007, 01:44 PM

58 posts, read 254,710 times
I don't know much about living in Michigan, but I love the (Tampa) Bay Area. We moved here and immediately made friends with a lot of other transplants. My wife found a job in two weeks (and after three interviews with her now-employer). I moved here after taking a job, so looking wasn't an issue for me. Just about all of my clients and co-workers seem to have moved from Michigan, Ohio or Pennsylvania, so I'm sure you'll find other midwesterners.

Good luck!

Old 07-05-2007, 06:45 PM

14 posts, read 49,599 times
Yeh! there are a few happy Tampa people I am so excited about moving close to the gulf! I just dont want to move into a city that may be worse in the end... mind you Flint is one of the worst in the state now. I work for a corp. of dental offices. Currently they have offices in Naples and Cape Coral. One of our reps told us our CEO is meeting with someone in the Tampa area to purchase a francise with Dental/Ortho. Obviously this would be great if all goes well. If not, I wonder how much of a disadvantage it is going to be for me that I am not bilingual??? I work in the front office and do would be doing most of the communicating as I work in Ortho (braces) and its alot to take in all at once. Also, I am soooo curious as to the spider/bug issue. Oh and tornado's also.. do they actually touch down in that area?? Thanks!

Old 07-05-2007, 08:53 PM

58 posts, read 254,710 times
many of those that complain have been here a while and want it to be how it was in the 70-80's.

Old 07-07-2007, 04:07 PM

442 posts, read 2,912,173 times
Hello From another Fromer Flinter ( well my husband anyway) Florida is WAY better then Flint is right now or Michigan is for that matter there are plenty of jobs here , but things are a little more expensive here ...we have freinds that are moving here to they are going to the ft myers area .. good luck

Old 07-07-2007, 05:07 PM

35 posts, read 189,993 times
Default Why come to Florida at all?

Can't you find another state to move to? Florida sucks and especially the Tampa Bay area. Between our property tax problems, hard to get insurance, hurricanes, heat, humidity and bugs, lousy roads - I really wish people would not make a mistake and come down here. Why am I here then? I am stuck here for a little while longer because I have one year to go for retirement. After that, I'm getting the heck out. And they are asking for bi-lingual in more and more positions. Check out anywhere but Florida first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay