U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2010, 08:20 AM

2 posts, read 11,428 times

Advertisements

last winter/spring i drove by several lawns that had tulips growing/flowering in them. did they just plant tulip flowers in the ground, or is it possible to plant some tulip bulbs here and see them come up in spring?

if so, when should i put in the bulbs????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 08:32 AM

150 posts, read 414,029 times
I think it might be too warm for them here. Sure, you can pop some blooming tulips in the ground and they'll survive for a while, but they probably won't come back. The bulbs need extended periods of winter cold to initiate the next year's flowers and leaves; the short-lived Floridian cold fronts probably won't do it for them.

If you want to grow Tulips in FL, you can try growing them in pots. When November rolls around, you can stick them into a refrigerator (preferably one that you aren't using for food) and forget about them until about April (or until you notice some growth in the spring). Make sure the soil isn't wet when they're in the fridge, or the bulbs will rot. This method may or may not work, but it's worth trying (this is how some of my friends grow their temperate Cypripedium orchids).

There are many warm-growing bulbs that do well here, though. The two I see most often are Crinums (also known as "Swamp Lilies") and spider lilies/peruvian daffodils.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:24 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,049,172 times
Put them in the fridge (no apples - their gas can kill the bud!) for 6-8 weeks before planting. After planting water thoroughly, then not again until growing tips show. Put a little fertilizer into the lower soil. This is called "forcing" tulips. I have only done it once and it worked out okay. I forgot about them the next year and they never grew back.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:04 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,791,403 times
With that last cold snap, tulips probably did well this year. I'm not much into high maintenance gardening, but from a quick google it looks like they prefer zones 3 or 4 thru 8.

Tampa is in that awkward 9/10 agricultural hardiness zone. Not quite tropic, not quite temperate and it changes over time. Thus, lots of what people planted in the last 20 years thrived for a while but died last winter.

Here's a web page showing how this area changes zones Florida Hardiness Zone Maps.

Currently I seem on the border of 9a/9b, making it tricky to decide what to plant in my new garden here. I've decided to grow mostly what will thrive in 9a, but I'm planting a few 9b items which I hope will at least survive below ground to spring up again even if it dies off during a cold spell. I will not plant 10 or 11 zone rated tropicals which I could lose to a cold snap (well, I did take a chance on just one, hoping the rhizome survives a frost). Never would I plant anything that has to winter in my kitchen.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 8,649 times
thank you all im gonna try the tulips in a big pot and see what happens u no trial and error cause im from ny and i love tulips.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:13 PM

3,313 posts, read 4,306,332 times
I had something really weird happened to me I planted some tulip bulbs into the soil and waited and waited and waited and no tupils came out. I decided not to plant anything... Year later I planted some herbs at the same area and noticed some time later that something different than herb were coming out. It were my tulips from last year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or