Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2007, 09:22 PM

8 posts, read 33,153 times

Advertisements

Hi, we're moving to South Tampa from Ft. Lauderdale, where the market has plummeted. In FTL, sellers were asking high, not selling, and now they have decreased their asking prices significantly (30%+) and they are selling. How does South Tampa compare? Are sellers still asking high, or are they in line with the true selling value? Are there deals to be had? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 07:05 AM

192 posts, read 1,161,487 times
I'm not an expert but I do try to keep up with values in south Tampa since I'm directly affected myself. There definately has been a drop in prices since the peak of the boom - I've personally seen some homes' asking prices drop by 20 percent and of course there is a bigger inventory of available houses now and south Tampa is no exception.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:15 AM

133 posts, read 536,518 times
I agree, I have seen home prices drop over the past year as well. In order to get homes sold, the seller need to be realistic with there original asking price. Currently, new home contruction (Inventory homes) are providing large discounts which makes it harder for individuals to re-sale their home. Have you considers Brandon, Gibsonton, Riverview or Apollo Beach for new home construction or do you prefer the South Tampa area?

Old 07-06-2007, 07:50 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,351,830 times
I have a buddy who oes appraisals for a living, I live in South Tampa and can tell you that my 1948 home was assesed at 312k in 2005, and last week was assesed at 304k.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:51 PM

393 posts, read 1,493,686 times
Definitely a buyer's market. Check out this article. Tampa's number 1.
Best Markets for Buyers (http://promo.realestate.yahoo.com/Best_Markets_for_Buyers.html - broken link)

Old 07-09-2007, 07:19 AM

277 posts, read 370,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kduszak View Post
Hi, we're moving to South Tampa from Ft. Lauderdale, where the market has plummeted. In FTL, sellers were asking high, not selling, and now they have decreased their asking prices significantly (30%+) and they are selling. How does South Tampa compare? Are sellers still asking high, or are they in line with the true selling value? Are there deals to be had? Thanks!
I live in South of Gandy. When we first looked here, the housing prices that we were looking at were between $200k-$300k. This was way out of our reach. Now, many of the same houses are going for $135k-$180k. The market, in South of Gandy has changed quite a bit. I guess Tampa Westshore Yacht Club and New Port did not increase the cost of living as much as people thought it would. In fact, those places are sold out, but the investors have lost a lot from there. They are not getting the 100% profit they were hoping to get.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:03 PM

4 posts, read 32,004 times
Watch the property taxes they are killing the market right now! Make sure you check what the taxes and Insurance are going to be before you make an offer. S. tampa is considerably more expensive than a majority of the metro areas in tampa.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:57 AM

6 posts, read 51,014 times
I hear you in regards to the prices in Fort Lauderdale. I live in Apollo Beach ( Between Tampa and Sarasota ) and let me tell you, there are many houses in the process of foreclosure. Yes, there are deals to be made, but again, better than 30% down in Fort Lauderdale, not sure...The issue at this point is the balance between existing houses and new construction. We have a high homestead tax which is a bummer for any buyer and seller...

One thing for sure, is compared to Fort Lauderdale, we still have many green spaces and areas to be developed, roads to be built or widen,etc...And the one think found thru so far according to Forbes Magazine, Tampa area is one of the worst city in America for young professionals. That being said, come and take a look!

Take care

Quote:
Originally Posted by kduszak View Post

Old 08-28-2007, 04:21 PM

8 posts, read 17,184 times
There is still a little bit of "squeeking" room in the pricing of homes in the Tampa Bay area in general. However, I do seem to see that most of the homes (listed with a reputable brokerage firm, not FSBO) are listed at a fair market value. Sometimes the FSBOs aren't educated yet as to what the real market value is and just put up a sign and hope for the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay