Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 07:33 PM

113 posts, read 279,286 times

Advertisements

I found an apt in Riverview which looks like a good deal, so I will add that place to my list to check out when I visit Tampa. I know a lot of people on here seem to hate Brandon, FL for some reason, but anyone have anything good or bad to say about Riverview, zip code 33569 area?

Anything about high crime rate, or bad traffic? Or anything else you can think of that would be helpful. It looks to me like its not too far from a beach according to Google Maps, maybe 30 mins?

I remember people on here telling me that South Tampa was the way to go if you are younger, although it seems to be more expensive. However I saw a bunch of people saying in another thread that everyone in South Tampa at the restaurants and bars is a snob including females. Even if Riverview or Brandon are considered boring towns, I dont see why you cant live in one town and hang out in another. I have done that most of my life anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 07:45 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,303,620 times
Parts of South Tampa may come off as snobby, but there are just as many "normal" people as there are snobs. And you're completely right about hanging out in different neighborhoods. Riverview and Brandon aren't really close to South Tampa, but access between either is easy via the Crosstown.

I think 30 minutes to the beach is an extremely liberal guess. I've never driven from Tampa's eastern suburbs to the beach, so I don't know for sure.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:36 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,308,809 times
First off, if you are single and you are moving to brandon or riverview, buy a gun first... because you'll want to put it to your head and squeeze the trigger. It might be nice to have a gun out there anyway. I see your next thread being:

"How can I get out of a lease early"

There are happy mediums- and not ALL women in south tampa are snobs. But id rather deal with snobs then part time 20 year old wal-mart cashiers with 3 kids, which is the quality you'll get in riverview.

Check out westshore as well. I remember giving you some advice a few weeks back if I am not mistaken. If you move to brandon/riverview, I will be the first person to tell you I told you so.

Take it from someone who is done it. I wish I had discovered city data forums before I moved here. Trust me, I am not just blowing smoke up you @ss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Parts of South Tampa may come off as snobby, but there are just as many "normal" people as there are snobs. And you're completely right about hanging out in different neighborhoods. Riverview and Brandon aren't really close to South Tampa, but access between either is easy via the Crosstown.

I think 30 minutes to the beach is an extremely liberal guess. I've never driven from Tampa's eastern suburbs to the beach, so I don't know for sure.
Yeah, it is gonna be more like an hour or more to clearwater. especially on a saturday or sunday. take into account interstate/60 traffic and clearwater beach traffic. It could be an 1:15 some days.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:48 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisredfield96 View Post
Anything about high crime rate, or bad traffic? Or anything else you can think of that would be helpful.
We looked into Riverview before we moved here. We looked into Riverview once we go here. After looking at Riverview, we looked elsewhere.

Lot's of trailer parks and a pretty rural, noting is around here feeling. Not what I was looking for, but if you like a lot of your home for the money and are fine with these things... it may be for you. If you are looking for the postcard/stereotypical Florida lifestyle, Riverview is definitely not for you.

Quote:
It looks to me like its not too far from a beach according to Google Maps, maybe 30 mins?
I live by the beaches, meaning I am a long way from Riverview. Been to Riverview once since moving into this house. Only reason for going, had to pick up a bed I found on Craiglist. Its an hour drive after rush hour, plus tolls.

Best advice I can give you before you come down. Have some areas in mind, but be prepared to look at other areas you may think are out of your price range. We are in a much smaller and older house than what we would have found in Riverview, but the location is fantastic. There is a reason why some areas are more expensive than others..... location, location, location.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:00 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,303,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
Yeah, it is gonna be more like an hour or more to clearwater. especially on a saturday or sunday. take into account interstate/60 traffic and clearwater beach traffic. It could be an 1:15 some days.
Yep, that's what I figured. Sometimes it takes thirty minutes just to drive the mile from Downtown Clearwater to Pier 60.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
location, location, location.
those three things are the most important things, and they are all equally important.

I personally wouldnt even consider checking out riverview as a single professional.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Yep, that's what I figured. Sometimes it takes thirty minutes just to drive the mile from Downtown Clearwater to Pier 60.
yeah- he would be looking at 30 minutes from riverview to just getting out of downtown TAMPA on a weekend.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:34 PM

Thanks for the info, I am still looking for other places to check out besides Riverview and Brandon.

So on this apt site, you think I should start looking into areas #3 and #4?

Tampa & Vicinity*Florida Apartments for Rent | Search Southwestern Florida, FL Apartment Rental

http://media.apartments.com/maps/AR001706.gif

Northwest Tampa Vicinity (http://www.apartments.com/Florida/SouthwesternFlorida/Tampa&Vicinity/NorthwestTampaVicinity - broken link)

South Tampa Vicinity/Downtown (http://www.apartments.com/Florida/SouthwesternFlorida/Tampa&Vicinity/SouthTampaVicinity-Downtown - broken link)

Old 10-25-2010, 02:07 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,930 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info, I am still looking for other places to check out besides Riverview and Brandon.

So on this apt site, you think I should start looking into areas #3 and #4?

Tampa & Vicinity*Florida Apartments for Rent | Search Southwestern Florida, FL Apartment Rental

http://media.apartments.com/maps/AR001706.gif

Northwest Tampa Vicinity (http://www.apartments.com/Florida/SouthwesternFlorida/Tampa&Vicinity/NorthwestTampaVicinity - broken link)

South Tampa Vicinity/Downtown (http://www.apartments.com/Florida/SouthwesternFlorida/Tampa&Vicinity/SouthTampaVicinity-Downtown - broken link)

Are you picking your place based on location to a job you already have? Perhaps providing us details of where you need to live will help.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Are you picking your place based on location to a job you already have? Perhaps providing us details of where you need to live will help.
I do computer tech related stuff, I actually make enough money off my self employment income to qualify for an apt (they usually want your income to be a certain amount times your rent). However I will more than likely get a job in that field when I move to Tampa, but it probably would be easier to do that if I was already living there. I notice many places say they only hire locals.

I suppose I would be basing this off location and affordability then. I dont really know where all the tech type jobs are at in Tampa, maybe downtown area. So I should probably live somewhere that is more central and gives me options to work in different parts of Tampa.

I was hoping to pay around $900/mo rent for a 2 bedroom or 1 bedroom/den, and I would like to live within 30 mins of some beaches. Its only an apt so I wont live there long, I will probably move after the first lease ends anyway after I get a better feel of where everything is in Tampa. But I dont want it to be a miserable experience, meaning high crime area, bad traffic, or surrounded by toll ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay