Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 08:45 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,302,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
He may not be "rich" but he most likely has resources to hire good defense. BTW, when you post $119,000 bond, that all but disqualifies you from getting a public defender. There are numerous forms to fill out to prove indigency to get a PD, I don't think he qualifies. The only reason this guy sat in jail as long as he did is they can't cut you loose until you sober up, they check BAC levels hourly to determine when your released, otherwise he would have been out before the ink dried on his booking paperwork.
It is 8 hours in FL for release of anyone detained on DUI. Sure it could have been a cash bond paid in full, but it was likely a surety bond, a property bond, a cash bond paid by a bail bondsman (accused fronts 10% of the cash, or $23,800 in this case) or a combination of more then one. In reality, posting a $119,000 isnt incredibly difficult if you are a relatively established adult. Not rich, established.

edit: 8 is only part of the rule for release. This is the current Florida Statute:

Conditions for Release of Persons Arrested for DUI-s. 316.193 (9), F.S.
  • The person is no longer under the influence and;
  • The person's normal faculties are no longer impaired
  • The person's blood/breath alcohol level is lower than 0.05; or
  • Eight hours have elapsed from the time the person was arrested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 12:26 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,657,743 times
This morning I heard on the radio from eye witnesses who came by shortly after it happened. One saw the dead person laying on the hood of the car and seeing the wife and a passanger and the driver in the car...another saw similar things...Horrible!

Old 11-02-2010, 12:26 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,346,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe Christ View Post
He will be going to state prison.
Hope he doesn't get off on a technicality.

Here's the lowlife scumbag. Article says he can't leave Hillsborough County or drink, but doesn't say that he can't drive, which is stupid law if he's allowed to continue to have the privilege.

He refused a blood-alcohol test, but blood was drawn after his arrest, an arrest report states.

The guy practices a few miles from where I live.

http://www2.tbo.com/exposure/ar/659/372/2010/10/31/76866_moyeappearance.jpg (broken link)

Dentist accused in DUI crash that killed two on Harbour Island out of jail

Last edited by BucFan; 11-02-2010 at 12:38 PM..

Old 11-02-2010, 04:06 PM

26 posts, read 87,686 times
The only technicality that could possibly favor him would be something in the trial, such as improper handling of jury instructions or witnesses.

As far as the case goes, so far there doesn't seem to be any reason (right now) that the trial wouldn't be legit.

The blood test was done properly.....hopefully he was arrested properly.

As long as the judge does his job properly and explains to the jury(if this is a jury trial and not a bench) the instructions and any other info. As long as the prosecution acts maturely and doesn't coerce statements or anything that would call for an appeal or mistrial, this case is solid.

The proof is there. Witnesses, and the blood test will be enough. He was arrested at the scene.

This piece of crap dirtbag will be going to state prison!! BYE BYE DOC!!!

I'm so glad Florida passed the mandatory minimum of 4 years in state prison for DUI Manslaughter. However, it's still a 2nd degree felony(max is 15 years).
I'm still pushing for it to be a 1st degree felony(max would be 40 years) or maybe even a life felony (max would be life) with a mandatory minimum of 20 years or 25 years in prison, but I'll accept the 4 year mando minimum right now.

So no more DUI dirtbags will be getting off on probation like the piece of crap woman in Tampa who got probation for killing those kids.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
The only technicality that could possibly favor him would be something in the trial, such as improper handling of jury instructions or witnesses.

As far as the case goes, so far there doesn't seem to be any reason (right now) that the trial wouldn't be legit.

The blood test was done properly.....hopefully he was arrested properly.

As long as the judge does his job properly and explains to the jury(if this is a jury trial and not a bench) the instructions and any other info. As long as the prosecution acts maturely and doesn't coerce statements or anything that would call for an appeal or mistrial, this case is solid.

The proof is there. Witnesses, and the blood test will be enough. He was arrested at the scene.

This piece of crap dirtbag will be going to state prison!! BYE BYE DOC!!!

I'm so glad Florida passed the mandatory minimum of 4 years in state prison for DUI Manslaughter. However, it's still a 2nd degree felony(max is 15 years).
I'm still pushing for it to be a 1st degree felony(max would be 40 years) or maybe even a life felony (max would be life) with a mandatory minimum of 20 years or 25 years in prison, but I'll accept the 4 year mando minimum right now.

So no more DUI dirtbags will be getting off on probation like the piece of crap woman in Tampa who got probation for killing those kids.
Will that sentence be times 2, since 2 people were killed? Shouldn't it be first and second offense ....since they were killed after each other...I would count that as one offense followed by offense 2....just to put him away for years.

He will be broke after this ... and hopefully the victims families get a lot of money from him, that is the least that they deserve...it will never make up for their loss but it is something.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:29 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,120,973 times
I believe there will always asomeone who thinks a person who is wealthy of one means or another can get off the hook. Others believe that an "entitled" person can get out of a DUI, shooting resulting in a killing. If the theory is accurate then the system needs to be revised. My good Vietnam friends daughter was killed by a full fledg3ed Indian in Florida. The Indian's son died yet the other 2 in the rear seat lived. Bullet holes were discovered coming from inside the auto and that wasn't mentioned in court. The father of the son sued and won big money...He was the driver, he went through a Red light and struck my friends daughter's car and the dad won the case.

In DUI cases I firmly believe in an "Eye for an Eye". All the time. The killer should get 5 days to live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
He's a dentist not necessarily a millionaire. Not sure how that makes him "entitled" - just because it happened on a bridge to Harbor Island don't mean he's some entitled person, does it?

Old 11-02-2010, 06:46 PM

26 posts, read 87,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Will that sentence be times 2, since 2 people were killed? Shouldn't it be first and second offense ....since they were killed after each other...I would count that as one offense followed by offense 2....just to put him away for years.

He will be broke after this ... and hopefully the victims families get a lot of money from him, that is the least that they deserve...it will never make up for their loss but it is something.
How many counts is he being charged with? I have not seen his county jail profile.

Judges 90% of the time run sentences concurrent, but there's always the possibility of running it consecutively.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:53 AM

Quote:
How many counts is he being charged with? I have not seen his county jail profile.

Judges 90% of the time run sentences concurrent, but there's always the possibility of running it consecutively.
Only a consecutive sentence will be justice!

Old 11-03-2010, 05:25 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,302,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
My good Vietnam friends daughter was killed by a full fledg3ed Indian in Florida.
Maybe he wasn't used to the driving laws in the US. The traffic laws are different in India.

That is of course unless you are talking about a Native American. Was it an American? or an Indian? which would of couse be a man from the country of India, you know- that place east of Pakistan and south of Nepal and China.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,264 times
None of us know exactly what happened in regard to assaulting the police officer. What happened is absolutely terrible but we don't know the entire story. The "assault" can simply be from him removing an officers hand from his arm (a defensive mechanisim from someone drunk or sleepy). He may not even have known at that point what he did.... Terrible but may be true! I truely do not believe he feels "entitled" because of his social status. He WAS my dentist and a very good one at that. This surprised me so much! He made some extremely bad choices that night and will pay for them the rest of his life as will his victims and their families. It makes me so angry that drinkers don't always call cabs or have designated drivers. I pray for his victims, their families, and his family as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay