Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 11:59 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,308,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Three gates into and out of MacDill - one on Dale Mabry, one on Bayshore and one in the middle. I'm sure MacDill was placed in that area years before there was any community development. If you've ever been in Tampa General is was built long before all the development in downtown Tampa - and also would be better to be closer to the the community.
you actually have the Dale Mabry Gate, Bayshore Gate, MacDill Gate, and Tanker Way Gate (Between Lois and Westshore off Interbay). All gates are horrible to get through in the morning. Dale Mabry is the only 2 lanes in with about 5 openings with 3 guards per opening. The others are pretty makeshift. Today traffic was bumper to bumper back to Gandy. Traffic was actually backing up through the Gandy intersection and blocking traffic on gandy when the north/south lights had turned red. I have never been on such a poorly planned military installation, and I can assure you- MacDill AFB is far from the oldest base. There are currently active military installations that have been around for over 100 years before the invention of the automobile that function just fine with a high volume of traffic. West Point, Ft McNair, Prisidio of Montery, and Carslile Barracks all come to mind.

Goverment is having money issues? MacDill AFB is probably worth about 80 Billion dollars without the structures. This isnt the only place like it.

Kyle- I am suprised to hear there is only a 5 year difference in median age between st pete and tampa. Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 12:16 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,749,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankerwifega View Post
no one ever suggested that it was the county's job to attract military personel. Maybe it is one of the most ridiculous things you have ever heard, who really cares? All I wanted to know was if there was any type of ferry that went from one location to the other, after reading some of the previous links, I guess I am not the only one who ever thought of that ridiculous idea! My point with the military was only to say there are alot of stable incomes in that area, in times of recession, a community could use that to their advantage for economic growth! (oh I guess that is a dumb idea too) I never said anything about losing Macdill because there is not a ferry. I was under the impression that there is alot of TRAFFIC and my husband and I were just trying to find out what the freaking possibilities are so we can narrow down our possibilities for a home and not be in traffic for a freaking hour. My husband retires while we are stationed there and we may want to make that area our home for the next 20 yrs. Without being in the area, and seeing things first hand, I thought I would be able to gain enough information to at least know where to begin looking for a home for my family. After all the readings on here and advise on where to live, St Pete is not one that is being discussed for Military families. Maybe now I know why!
Also you call it water taxi, where we have lived it is called a ferry that transport people, not cars. Just saying! All I wanted was a simple yes or no. I would be nuts if I bought a house in St Pete, based on attitudes on this board, it is definetly not the place for my military family.
oh and my husband said helicopter flights would be much better than airplane or train!

Sorry to offend you, but I'm just telling the truth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankerwifega View Post
I "think" this would be a great incentive for a county to attract Macdill personnel,
Judging by a previous post of yours, you seem to assume the county can attract jobs for Macdill, and to be honest, that doesn't make any sense. People work at Macdill because they have been assigned there by the government, not because they necessarily want to, except for civilian jobs, but Macdill will never have a problem finding people for those. If their was a ferry/water taxi from St Pete to Macdill, driving would still be faster even with traffic, and cheaper.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:27 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,308,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post

Judging by a previous post of yours, you seem to assume the county can attract jobs for Macdill, and to be honest, that doesn't make any sense. People work at Macdill because they have been assigned there by the government, not because they necessarily want to, except for civilian jobs, but Macdill will never have a problem finding people for those. If their was a ferry/water taxi from St Pete to Macdill, driving would still be faster even with traffic, and cheaper.
I got out of the Army two years ago and applied for jobs in DC and Tampa. I interviewed for and was offered positions for both locations. I was also contacted about jobs in Texas, Nebraska, Colorado, and Savannah as well. I chose to move to Tampa, and I am happy I did. I would probably only move again for a job in San Diego. Tampa doesnt need to do ANYTHING more to attract even civilian personnel, it is attractive enough... and you are right- it doesnt need to attract military, although I can tell you from my seven years in the Army- it is considered to be one of the better assignments, where Soldiers storm the golf courses of "Tampastan". And... if it was a bad assignment, then the military will just send you here anyway, and defense contractors would lure you here with salary. MacDill is largely populated by personnel who reenlisted for this assignment, or chose it after a hardship tour. Tampa is the prize assignment for large number of military personnel.

A ferry is not going to attract anyone, nor is it neccessary, even if it was attractive.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:29 PM

463 posts, read 1,048,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Please - if you notice the OP's other thread, there's plenty of hospitality/friendliness toward her. If you can't take a blunt/straight forward answer, Tampa may not be the place to reside.

This isn't Mayberry and Andy Griffith/Opie don't live here.
Yes, because why would I want to live somewhere people are nice and courteous to others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
And as BucFan mentioned... this isnt mayberry. Florida tends to have a more fast paced, self-centered and aggressive population, with less of a sense of community, more comparable to NY, on a much smaller scale (at least with the 20-40 crowd). St Pete is nowhere near as bad as I suspect the median age is significantly higher, but You will have to travel quite a bit to get to base.
I agree with this, although I don't really think Florida has its own identity, too many transplants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: