Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 06:30 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,723,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I wasn't trying to offend anyone.
Just pointing out that many dogs can attack and size doesn't matter because they will attack something their size if they are a smaller dog.

The big thing that always comes up in these threads is that pit owners don't know when their dog will snap but it can happen with any dog and the reason you see many more news stories about pits is for 2 main reasons.

The first reason is that many, many, many times the police, reporter, etc will not even research what type of dog it really is if it even remotely resembles a pit bull, they will just call it a pit bull even if it is a Catahoula.

The second is a very large portion of the population of pit owners that raise them to fight or other nefarious activities.

Yes, my dog will protect me if someone attacked me as a good dog should but I don't raise my dog to fight and she should not be grouped in with a drug dealers dog as if they are the same.
All dogs are capable of harming someone or something. However, I group all pit bulls together because, unlike most breeds, they were breed to be large, and vicious, end of story. You can train a pit, but that doesn't mean they will never attack. According to dogbitelaw.com, "Studies indicate that pit bull-type dogs were involved in approximately a third of human dog bite related fatalities".

DOG BITE LAW - Statistics about dog bites in the USA and elsewhere

Old 11-12-2010, 06:47 PM

8,488 posts, read 20,548,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
All dogs are capable of harming someone or something. However, I group all pit bulls together because, unlike most breeds, they were breed to be large, and vicious, end of story. You can train a pit, but that doesn't mean they will never attack. According to dogbitelaw.com, "Studies indicate that pit bull-type dogs were involved in approximately a third of human dog bite related fatalities".

DOG BITE LAW - Statistics about dog bites in the USA and elsewhere
My pit is 50 pounds. I guess if you consider that large then I don't know what to tell you. She is also not vicious. End of story.

Staffordshire Terriers routinely rate higher in the yearly tests conducted by the American Temperment Test Society than the average dog.

Temperament tests consist of putting a dog through a series of unexpected situations, some involving strangers. Any signs of unprovoked aggression or panic in these situations result in failure of the test.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:40 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,729,872 times
Guess its a good thing my little Papillion dog breed doesnt seem to pull any dog attacks on google

Old 11-12-2010, 10:01 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,512,964 times
The law that was passed in Miami Dade county came after a vicious attack in 1989 against a toddler where a neighbor's pitbull jumped a fence to attack him. The pit mauled the childs head so badly that about 2/3rds of his scalp was chewed off.
Jeb Bush passed a law when he was Governor that won't allow any jurisdiction in Florida to ban certain breeds of dogs. The Miami Dade county law was grandfathered in & is the only exception to state law. If you are found with a pitbull in Miami they will have the dog removed & destroyed unless they are able to find a home outside of the county for it. In addition you can face a fine & jail time.
Personally I think they are quite ugly and are vicious dogs but to each his own.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:12 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,723,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
My pit is 50 pounds. I guess if you consider that large then I don't know what to tell you. She is also not vicious. End of story.

Staffordshire Terriers routinely rate higher in the yearly tests conducted by the American Temperment Test Society than the average dog.

Temperament tests consist of putting a dog through a series of unexpected situations, some involving strangers. Any signs of unprovoked aggression or panic in these situations result in failure of the test.
We can argue this as long as we want, but when it comes down to it, dogs can be dangerous, none more so than pit bulls, and that is a proven fact.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:32 AM

Quote:
We can argue this as long as we want, but when it comes down to it, dogs can be dangerous, none more so than pit bulls, and that is a proven fact.
Since police and reporters just use the general term pit bull when they are not even sure of the dog breed that slants the statistics and I already agreed that many pit owners (drug dealers, criminals) raise their pits to be vicious.

As you said, dogs can be vicious, if it is how they are raised.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:38 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,729,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
After reading this thread, and seeing how many ill informed anti-pit posters we have, I can now see why Tampa is one of the dumbest cities.
most people assume their dog (or someone else's dog) is a pit, when in reality, it is not.

Pet Pitbull - Find the Pit Bull

(its number 16)

Old 11-15-2010, 10:54 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,293,810 times
Quote:
Answer this question honestly. What breed of dog would you least want to be attacked by? No statistic, no links, nothing but the breed and maybe a simple explanation.
Golden Retriever.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:56 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,083,432 times
Quote:
Answer this question honestly. What breed of dog would you least want to be attacked by? No statistic, no links, nothing but the breed and maybe a simple explanation.
I'm thinking a Cockapoo. lol Most Pits are nice... but all Pits have a little psycho in them and you never know when they'll snap.

They were bred for one thing, which is illegal now. So why still have the breed? Frankly I think all Bully dogs should be out lawed thanks to Mike Peterson's stats.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
English Mastiff
200-300 lbs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay