Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 08:15 AM

2 posts, read 12,838 times

Advertisements

I have 2 lovely and sweet pits and I am planning on moving to Tampa in few months and I want to make sure that they are permitted. Otherwise I'll move somewhere else where I won't be bothered about their breed.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:38 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,303,620 times
Not yet, as far as I know. I think the state legislature tried to ban them last year, though. Probably only a matter of time.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:08 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,757,399 times
Unfortunately, no.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:06 PM

451 posts, read 933,697 times
Ignore matt_sfl and rezfreak, Pit Bulls are not banned in Tampa. MOST landlords will not allow them, as "aggressive breeds" are not allowed by nearly all rental insurers in Florida. If you own your home, you're fine, but if you're renting you'll need to find a landlord that is okay with pit bulls (there are some who use a rare insurer who allows them or doesn't mind skirting the rules).

If pit bulls were really illegal here, the hundred or so I've seen since moving here in August must be the product of criminal owners. Oh, and the Tampa Humane Society that finds homes for pit bulls here-- they must be criminals too.

Welcome to Tampa, I for one am excited to welcome your pit puppies to this very dog-friendly city.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:46 AM

436 posts, read 1,120,960 times
Banning dogs based on their breed is like banning humans based on their race. Should we restrict housing in certain areas to whites only? I think not. It's all in how you raise the dog. I have a doberman mix and he's the sweetest dog you'll ever meet. One of my friends has a pit bull who is extremely sweet, shy, and has never shown any aggressive behavior.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:47 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,749,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbillyx View Post
Banning dogs based on their breed is like banning humans based on their race. Should we restrict housing in certain areas to whites only? I think not. It's all in how you raise the dog. I have a doberman mix and he's the sweetest dog you'll ever meet. One of my friends has a pit bull who is extremely sweet, shy, and has never shown any aggressive behavior.
It's not how you raise your dog, its what they were breed for. Sure they are sweet to the person who gives them food and shelter, but deep down, pit bulls have the potential for things there owners wouldn't believe. My next door neighbors moved in about 3 months ago and talk about how sweet their pit is. But every time I walk by the fence, the dog growls at me and chews on the fence as if he is saying "this is what I want to do to you".

I don't have a problem with pit bulls, as long as they are properly leashed, or locked in a yard. I do, however, have a problem with pit bull owners who are delusional enough to believe their dog wouldn't harm anything. I've heard too many owners say that as their dog is getting put down after attacking another animal of person. What makes you think your dog is different?

Old 11-11-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
It's not how you raise your dog, its what they were breed for. Sure they are sweet to the person who gives them food and shelter, but deep down, pit bulls have the potential for things there owners wouldn't believe. My next door neighbors moved in about 3 months ago and talk about how sweet their pit is. But every time I walk by the fence, the dog growls at me and chews on the fence as if he is saying "this is what I want to do to you".

I don't have a problem with pit bulls, as long as they are properly leashed, or locked in a yard. I do, however, have a problem with pit bull owners who are delusional enough to believe their dog wouldn't harm anything. I've heard too many owners say that as their dog is getting put down after attacking another animal of person. What makes you think your dog is different?
My dog would only ever attack someone if someone was threatening me (all power to him if that ever happens). However, outside of that, he's never threatened anyone.

Yes, certain dog breeds have been bred for various purposes. However, it's all in how you raise them. If you're not an ******* who beats and trains your dog to be vicious, they won't be. Most behavioral issues can be blamed on the owners.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip824 View Post
I have 2 lovely and sweet pits and I am planning on moving to Tampa in few months and I want to make sure that they are permitted. Otherwise I'll move somewhere else where I won't be bothered about their breed.
In response to your original question, no, it doesn't look like there's an outright ban on pit bulls in Tampa. You'll most likely have to look long and hard to find an intelligent landlord, though. I find it laughable that so many landlords have problems with large, "aggressive" breeds but none whatsoever with little yippers. The little ones seem to be the loudest and most destructive.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:12 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,308,809 times
Moderator cut: rude

Miami-Dade County is the only place pit bulls are banned in FL.

Here is a list of breed restrictions broken down by municipality:

Breed-specific legislation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Keeper; 11-16-2010 at 03:01 PM..

Old 11-11-2010, 06:40 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,749,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbillyx View Post
My dog would only ever attack someone if someone was threatening me (all power to him if that ever happens). However, outside of that, he's never threatened anyone.

Yes, certain dog breeds have been bred for various purposes. However, it's all in how you raise them. If you're not an ******* who beats and trains your dog to be vicious, they won't be. Most behavioral issues can be blamed on the owners.
He never has threatened anyone, that doesn't mean he won't. Most behavioral issues can be blamed on the owners, true. An owners has an obligation to make sure their dog is not put in a situation where it can attack someone. But Pit bull owners who believe their dog wouldn't hurt anyone have been proven wrong time and time again. Hopefully it never happens with your dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay