Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 08:21 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,079,489 times

Advertisements

We had a neighbor who was a col at MacDill and my husband worked at TGH and we lived in Unincorporated Pinellas right on Seminole Largo border. Seminole schools great for children, 2 mins to beaches, not in flood zone, homes around your price range, very safe, very clean, close to shops, on buslines, loads of young families as we have 3 elems, one large middle and one large high school serving area. Also choices of private and pre-k around. Marina at Indian Rocks, just 2 mins away, boat launches close by too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 08:29 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,632,650 times
Oldsmar is a lovely area but I would not recommend a commute to MacDill or TGH from there except to the most hardened commuters. That will be a long time spent in obnoxious traffic every day. Stick with south Tampa if possible, you won't be sorry.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:35 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender View Post
We had a neighbor who was a col at MacDill and my husband worked at TGH and we lived in Unincorporated Pinellas right on Seminole Largo border. Seminole schools great for children, 2 mins to beaches, not in flood zone, homes around your price range, very safe, very clean, close to shops, on buslines, loads of young families as we have 3 elems, one large middle and one large high school serving area. Also choices of private and pre-k around. Marina at Indian Rocks, just 2 mins away, boat launches close by too.
I agree, another nice choice for you.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:43 PM

76 posts, read 78,265 times
Looking at housing in South Tampa and not much pops up. I mostly get listings in Riverview? Is there a specific zip code I should look at in South Tampa? What are the street boundaries of South Tampa I should stay in? I noticed on this site that Tampa had an extremely high crime rate a few years ago and it has seemed to drop dramatically. How safe are the areas surrounding South Tampa? Are the schools pretty safe?

Is the commute from Seminole better than Oldsmar? I currently have a commute of over 20 miles in city traffic so I am used to commuting. It would be nice to cut that down though.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:47 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,309,108 times
Try searching for "hyde park" as that is one of the better 'south tampa' neighborboods. There are also some on the bay like 'bayshore beautiful' and other ones I dont know much about.

I hear plant high is the best public school in tampa (that is where the south tampa kids go). South Tampa is more of a 'lifestyle' than a geographical reference.

I would keep my search East of Dale Mabry, West of Downtown | North of the Bay, South of say Cleveland or Platt.

I hate commuting- I hate sitting in 20 minutes of bumper to bumper when i can see the damn gates for base up ahead- i cant even imagine living in western pinenllas county. I have a friend who lives in dunedin, and I think he is downright crazy.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:15 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
A very nice neighborhood in south Tampa is Palma Ceia - maybe you can google that neighborhood. It's one of my favorite neighborhoods in Tampa.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:26 PM

Are there good areas on the north side of Tampa? Doing some quick searches and not finding a lot in my price range in south Tampa.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:37 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbillyx View Post
FYI - I've heard from members on this forum that parts of Seminole and Largo are full of younger families. Check out the areas surrounding Oakhurst Rd/Indian Rocks Rd, near Walsingham Park.

Heeeeeyyyyy you listened to me!

Old 11-15-2010, 02:58 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,304,420 times
Riverview isn't South Tampa at all. And while Lake Tarpon is connected to Old Tampa Bay, there's a railroad trestle that prevents some boaters from making the trip. It's too low.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:07 PM

I realized in my search I had 3 bathrooms checked instead of 3 bedrooms hence why I wasn't coming up with any results. How is the 33611 zip code? Is Tampa in Hillsbourough county?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay