U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2010, 10:34 AM

239 posts, read 597,418 times

Advertisements

Okay...this is my second extended trip to the Tampa area. We had pretty much settled for Safety Harbor (even made an offer on a house) but now I found a Montessori school in Town and Country which we really love (one of the few with AMI certified teachers)

I will be working in DT Tampa near Hyatt Regency but also have the option to work in Clearwater 2 or 3 days a week.

So...we need to be able to get from our house, to the school(on Civic Road off Memorial), to work (DT Tampa or clearwater) without too much back tracking. We looked in Westchase but didn't really like the gated communities. Our agent suggested Oldsmar and we know we like Safety Harbor.

This puzzle just keeps getting more complicated. I can't seem to find a good housing, school and work scenario. If we move forward with Safety Harbor, what is the commute like down Tampa/Hillsborough/Memorial to DT and back in the evening?

I know a few of you are familiar with Oldsmar. How does it compare with Safety Harbor?

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 11:07 AM

3,378 posts, read 7,896,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISOnewplace View Post
Okay...this is my second extended trip to the Tampa area. We had pretty much settled for Safety Harbor (even made an offer on a house) but now I found a Montessori school in Town and Country which we really love (one of the few with AMI certified teachers)

I will be working in DT Tampa near Hyatt Regency but also have the option to work in Clearwater 2 or 3 days a week.

So...we need to be able to get from our house, to the school(on Civic Road off Memorial), to work (DT Tampa or clearwater) without too much back tracking. We looked in Westchase but didn't really like the gated communities. Our agent suggested Oldsmar and we know we like Safety Harbor.

This puzzle just keeps getting more complicated. I can't seem to find a good housing, school and work scenario. If we move forward with Safety Harbor, what is the commute like down Tampa/Hillsborough/Memorial to DT and back in the evening?

I know a few of you are familiar with Oldsmar. How does it compare with Safety Harbor?

Thanks again!

From Safety Harbor you would jump on 60, then 275 to downtown. 45 minutes or less.

My kids are in a regular old Pinellas County School District Elementary school that is rated as an 8.... I couldn't be happier with the school. Food for thought.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:46 AM

21,198 posts, read 30,396,116 times
Quote:

Thanks again!
Oldsmar is overall a newer community than Safety Harbor as it contains some of the last undeveloped land in Pinellas County. It has the benefit of being central to both Tampa and Clearwater/The Beaches without having to cross the bay. Oldsmar is somewhat self-contained so one doesn't need to go into other more congested areas for stores, restaurants and other services. The public school system is the best in the area. The drive into downtown Tampa near the Hyatt is 20 miles, and can take anywhere from half an hour (non-rush hour) to an hour (rush hour) with an average of around 45 minutes at rush hour. I looked all over Pinellas County before settling on Oldsmar, and really liked the real estate value there.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:31 AM

Thanks Kyle! would you say that there are many families with young (elementary) age children. Are there specidic areas in Oldsmas with young families.

Also, what is the deal with Town n Country? Most ppl say it is not a good area to live. Do you know why?

Old 11-19-2010, 01:00 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,581,201 times
The drive to that school in Town&Country should be a very short drive, down Hillsborough Ave coming from Oldsmar or Safety Harbor.
Westchase has several areas that are not gated.
Either one of these 3 areas would be close to the school, a little bit farther away to your place of work.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:55 PM

Thank you Annie. I heard you are the "go-to" gal for Oldsmar :-)

Do you know the Community Montessori School on Civic in T&C? We visited there last week and were very impressed. We visited some more prominent (and more expensive)Montessori schools but they all seemed so commercial and missing the "heart" and connection to nature that this one seemd to have IMO.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:37 PM

21,198 posts, read 30,396,116 times
Quote:
Thanks Kyle! would you say that there are many families with young (elementary) age children. Are there specidic areas in Oldsmas with young families.

Also, what is the deal with Town n Country? Most ppl say it is not a good area to live. Do you know why?

According to the 2000 census, around 38% of the households in Oldsmar had children under 18 living with them and 27% of the overall population was under 18, so the odds are pretty good you'll be around other families, especially when you factor out condominiums where old farts like myself are living. If you focus on single family home subdivisions you'll find loads of young families. I had heard the same about Town & Country, and think it has more to do with the high density lower income population living there, as well as the varied ethnicities which some aren't comfortable living with.

Oldsmar, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Town 'n' Country, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or