Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2010, 10:36 AM

593 posts, read 1,315,562 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I got a job offer from Citigroup, they are east from downtown Tampa.
I live in Celebration and was thinking is way to far.
How long of the drive would it be?
maps.google.com say 50 mins. of course without traffic, so how is the traffic.
Anybody here lives in Celebration and works in Tampa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 12:14 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,902 times
That is a heck of a ride. Best bet is to move. Since celebration is a nice area I'd check and see a listing of neighborhoods in Hillsborough or Polk Counties

Old 11-18-2010, 01:52 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,309,108 times
A couple of coworkers actually commute from Orlando to South Tampa every day. They carpool now. I know it takes him well over an hour to get to and from work.

If you are renting- just move! If you are in a home, dont know what to tell you. It depends on your personality type and how much you are making. If you dont mind commuting and traffic doesnt bother you- you'll be alright. If the salary is $28,000- i sure as hell wouldnt commute that far for that. If the salary is $100,000- id highly consider commuting.

Its do-able, but you need to look at all aspects of your situation. I would also consider requesting a relocation package if you haven't negotiated the terms of your employment offer yet.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:03 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
A couple of coworkers actually commute from Orlando to South Tampa every day. They carpool now. I know it takes him well over an hour to get to and from work.

If you are renting- just move! If you are in a home, dont know what to tell you. It depends on your personality type and how much you are making. If you dont mind commuting and traffic doesnt bother you- you'll be alright. If the salary is $28,000- i sure as hell wouldnt commute that far for that. If the salary is $100,000- id highly consider commuting.

Its do-able, but you need to look at all aspects of your situation. I would also consider requesting a relocation package if you haven't negotiated the terms of your employment offer yet.
I agree. My husband used to commute from south Lakeland to downtown Tampa, and that was nearly an hour with traffic (a LOT of traffic!) right there. That is a miserable drive on I-4 during rush hour. If it's a great job and you feel sure it will last, I would try to move. I think this commute would really get old.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:42 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
This is one instance where the HSR would save the day.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:10 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I agree. My husband used to commute from south Lakeland to downtown Tampa, and that was nearly an hour with traffic (a LOT of traffic!) right there. That is a miserable drive on I-4 during rush hour. If it's a great job and you feel sure it will last, I would try to move. I think this commute would really get old.

I cannot imagine driving on I-4 for an hour and get to work and even do your job correctly.

Bet he is glad you guys moved.

It would get old real quick.

OP- the money would have to be crazy money to get most of us to try it. Sure you could try it at first and see how it goes but I4 could be a total nightmare at rush hour and the extra 2 hours sitting in the car I think would not make it worth it.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,176 times
would love info on this area-thinking of moving south and we have distant friends that are there- pls tell us more THX

Old 01-03-2012, 08:15 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
Way too far to drive. Citigroup is at I75 (Falkenburg Rd) and MLK in the area known as Sabal Park.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:19 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,655,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terros02 View Post
would love info on this area-thinking of moving south and we have distant friends that are there- pls tell us more THX
Which area specifically? Celebration or downtown Tampa? I would suggest starting your own thread on the information you are looking for. You might get more replies that way.

I know someone who use to commute from New Tampa to Orlando, near the airport. The commute would take over an hour and a half. Longer if there was a storm and/or an accident. He did that for a year. Isn't Citigroup closer to Brandon than downtown Tampa off of I-75?

Old 01-03-2012, 08:24 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaegel View Post
Isn't Citigroup closer to Brandon than downtown Tampa off of I-75?
It's borders are Falkenburg Rd, MLK, I75 and Broadway Ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay