U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 12:29 PM

339 posts, read 1,094,352 times

Advertisements

My friend who lives in Clearwater has been trying to get me to go back for the longest. And only now am I considering it...but everytime I think about going back, I just think about how unhappy I was and disliked living there. Last time I lived there was 2006 (born n raised), and my most recent visit was early 2009.

Since then, I've lived in Miami, Dallas, San Antonio and more recently was looking into moving to Denver or somewhere in the 4 corners. I've visited dozens of other states in between. The thing that these other cities have over Tampa is the fact of the infrasturcture in those cities far excel that of Tampa. I just have a feeling that if I go back, I'll be disappointed almost immediately due to the fact that from what I always remembered, its downtown was lacking majorly. Apart from Ybor city, it seemed Tampians had no desire to invest in the downtown areas...however the Baywalk and CityWalk (is that what its called) were fairly nice additions to the area that I'd enjoy occasionally.

Although I no longer use city public transportation, it still bothered me that Tampa lacked any sort of rail system...And when the plan did come up, it'd only be shot down once again and the people would vote for yet another major tollway that goes out into the swamps or a suburb instead.

And I would always complain about how far Tampa seemed to be behind on alot of things...it just did not seem to want to progress.

Yet, my friend just keeps telling me how great things are there, and that everyone he knows there is doing so well...and so on and so on. But for the life of me cannot understand what he sees in being there. And for the record, I always viewed Pinellas as being a laidback fishing town with very little in the way of entertainment. His idea of a great life is working for these scam artist telemarketing companies which pretty much infiltrate the Tampa Bay area (and once I left, I never worked for another one again!).

And on the other hand...I think about the things I miss: the weather, the beach, the trees, the diverse tourist/seasonal population and its location to Orlando and Miami.

So tell me, would it even be worth going back again? I just don't feel much has changed with Tampa...or even Florida for that matter. Its so hard for me to go back home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 12:39 PM

15,189 posts, read 31,132,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
My friend who lives in Clearwater has been trying to get me to go back for the longest. And only now am I considering it...but everytime I think about going back, I just think about how unhappy I was and disliked living there. Last time I lived there was 2006 (born n raised), and my most recent visit was early 2009.

Since then, I've lived in Miami, Dallas, San Antonio and more recently was looking into moving to Denver or somewhere in the 4 corners. I've visited dozens of other states in between. The thing that these other cities have over Tampa is the fact of the infrasturcture in those cities far excel that of Tampa. I just have a feeling that if I go back, I'll be disappointed almost immediately due to the fact that from what I always remembered, its downtown was lacking majorly. Apart from Ybor city, it seemed Tampians had no desire to invest in the downtown areas...however the Baywalk and CityWalk (is that what its called) were fairly nice additions to the area that I'd enjoy occasionally.

Although I no longer use city public transportation, it still bothered me that Tampa lacked any sort of rail system...And when the plan did come up, it'd only be shot down once again and the people would vote for yet another major tollway that goes out into the swamps or a suburb instead.

And I would always complain about how far Tampa seemed to be behind on alot of things...it just did not seem to want to progress.

Yet, my friend just keeps telling me how great things are there, and that everyone he knows there is doing so well...and so on and so on. But for the life of me cannot understand what he sees in being there. And for the record, I always viewed Pinellas as being a laidback fishing town with very little in the way of entertainment. His idea of a great life is working for these scam artist telemarketing companies which pretty much infiltrate the Tampa Bay area (and once I left, I never worked for another one again!).

And on the other hand...I think about the things I miss: the weather, the beach, the trees, the diverse tourist/seasonal population and its location to Orlando and Miami.

So tell me, would it even be worth going back again? I just don't feel much has changed with Tampa...or even Florida for that matter. Its so hard for me to go back home
From reading your post, I do not think you will be happy. There are many people here in the Bay Are who live here and love it, and see positive things happening, but if you did not like it as recently as 2006, do yourself a favor and don't move back here, you will regret it.

And for the record, I don't agree with your assessments of the area at all.

Good luck to you.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:59 PM

2,359 posts, read 4,490,234 times
If you were born and raised there you've probablly got a pretty good idea what it's all about. Has your friend ever lived anywhere else? You probablly have your opinion because you have lived other areas to compare it to. I agree with gypsychic. If you didnt like it before, you probablly wont like it now.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:25 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,990,752 times
How about looking at the positives instead of focusing on the negatives that drove you away in the first place. Tampa has changed a lot in the last couple of years, (Maybe not enough for you). We still may not have great public transit, but Downtown is finally becoming a focal point for the community as a gathering place. Tampa may be behind other metros in some things, but we still have other metros beat in other things.

It seems since moving away, you haven't found a permanent place to live. Is it because you are focusing on the negatives there too? Just curious.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:34 PM

339 posts, read 1,094,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
It seems since moving away, you haven't found a permanent place to live. Is it because you are focusing on the negatives there too? Just curious.
Well, because I have the ability to travel and its something that I've always wanted to do in additon my job requires it...I am flexible enough to do so.

I never was a fan of Texas and it took me forever to get used to being away from water. Thats until I went west and seen mountains AND water. But jobwise, I was better off elsewhere. I left Miami when the recession hit, so it was more out of force than choice...but, after having traveled more I can't see myself going back to that either...

But atleast, all these other places have leverage over Florida in that Florida is still with the ridiculous rent + $700 deposit on the 1st day you move in. That is so unheard of in most states. My friend is paying $560 a month (and had to come up with twice that amount during move in) and his place has no washer and dryer, and apparently is kind of seedy from the reviews. Yet that seems to be the norm in Florida?

So, even when I think about the positive things of Florida...it doesn't make the negative parts disappear. 1st thing I need to do is get an apartment when I come down, and I don't have $1,000 up front to do it with. Elsewhere in the country, I can move in with $59-250...

I remember the 1st 2 apartments I rented in Miami wanted $550 + $500 to move in. And you know what they were? little square shaped, half efficiencies. Ugh, everytime I think about Florida I think about getting ripped off. Maybe its best that I dont go back LOL. Maybe Tampa's prices are a bit differrent than Miami though...

And dont even get me started on insurance. And they wanted to beat us up more by adding mandatory PIP...

Last edited by CruisingUSA; 11-30-2010 at 04:43 PM..

Old 11-30-2010, 06:29 PM

3,378 posts, read 7,890,690 times
After reading your posts I think you should probably not come back. I can;t imagine a place has changed that much in the few years you have been gone.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:36 AM

5,453 posts, read 7,778,022 times
Why does everyone has to LOVE Tampa? Seriously?

To the OP, get your friend to move to Denver, it is beautiful up there, lots to do...I share you dislikes and have a few extra ones myself (after 3 years here and 10 in FL all together)...people on this board hate me because I openly state them...It's OK...I already realized that on the Tampa board unless you LOVE Tampa you're NOT going to get a straight answer to anything! Only adds to my dislikes with this area.

It seems like the demographics here are so unaware of what other cities have to offer that they will do anything to make you think this area is pure Heaven! Not realizing that while it could be heaven for some, it is also hell for others.

Don't come back here, your opinion is right on and you will kick yourself in the face for coming back. We can't wait to get out and live in a real city again! On the Tampa board the word "Travel" is banned and highly disliked...maybe because people got here and lost any way to travel.....hahaha I am sorry folks, re-read your replies....then attack mine!

Why does anyone need a "permanent" place to live exactly? we only have 1 life, (per what I know) the only thing "permanent" is your grave! I could NOT live in one place forever if you paid me! OMG!

Old 12-01-2010, 09:24 AM

6,972 posts, read 12,482,290 times
Quote:

From what you have written I would not recommend moving back to Tampa or Fla at this time and point in your life. In fact it is obvious from reading your thread, that you would be miserable within days. Not weeks or months but days, perhaps even the day you actually moved back.

I think what is going on and I don't know your age, but I think somewhere in your 20's or 30's. Is that Fla is home to you and its whats familiar to you, but it is not a satisfying place for you. There is no crime in that and you have a right to see and experience other places. There is no law that says you must remain for the rest of your life, in the place you were born and raised. I think what you need to do is see more places until you find your fit. It seems the places you have lived beyond Tampa are not providing that for you either. So maybe you need to try Denver. Again don't move back to Tampa at this time, I just think it would be a very huge mistake.

I will add this also. Moving and relocating is very expensive, as you mentioned with the cost and fees associated with apt rentals. So keep that in mind. Sometimes its best to just stay low and stay where you are for awhile. Think things out and visit before moving some place new. Otherwise instead of moving to a place that will soothe your soul. You could end up in a place you find you completely dispise, and can't get out. At least you don't own property in these places you have lived or you could really get burnt. You still have the flexibilty to get up and move when you want, without the burden of having to sell property. So things could be much worse for you on that end anyway.

Take things slow and don't make any impluse moves until you feel more sure of things. Best of Luck.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:42 AM

34,365 posts, read 41,446,089 times
Quote:
For all the reasons you left nothing has changed except theres probably more traffic now. Why not come back for a visit or a two week vacation, see old friends and enjoy the beach, it maybe all you need to cure that feeling of homesickness.
As a long term ex pat of St Pete i wouldnt enjoy living there full time any more but i really enjoy my annual 3 week vacation to the area, so for me the attitude is = Florida? nice place to visit but i wouldnt want to live there.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:55 AM

2,359 posts, read 4,490,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
For all the reasons you left nothing has changed except theres probably more traffic now. Why not come back for a visit or a two week vacation, see old friends and enjoy the beach, it maybe all you need to cure that feeling of homesickness.
As a long term ex pat of St Pete i wouldnt enjoy living there full time any more but i really enjoy my annual 3 week vacation to the area, so for me the attitude is = Florida? nice place to visit but i wouldnt want to live there.
You definatly got that right. A week in November and a couple weeks in March should take care of everything i need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or