Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2010, 06:04 AM

461 posts, read 861,223 times

Advertisements

Hey all. Been reading the forum for a while!!

I am a single 27 year old interviewing in the Tampa area for a residency.
I am going to be interviewing at USF Tampa General Hospital.
Anyone know anything about the hospital? Would be extremely helpful!

Also, it is only a 3 year residency and I can live anywhere for 3 years and make the best of it!!!...but there are the things I am a bit weary of:

- Obviously the extreme heat! But I think I would much rather have extreme heat than cold. I have grown up in the Midwest/NorthEast and would rather be in 110 rather than 20 any day. I am going to be inside most of the time working anyway. I want to join a nice gym for the evenings...will I be able to go dive in a pool afterwards? at my apt? at the gym?, etc.

- Lack of culture/"scene"? I guess Tampa has the Bucs. What other cultural opportunities are abound? Good museums? Art? Transport? Coffee shops? Parks? Place for young/urban professionals/SF type/loungy/somewhat upscale for a 50K salary? I am just dumb....any insight/perspective in this department would be helpful. A good singles scene? An Asian Indian Scene??

-Where would/should/could I live and commute easily to Tampa General Hospital for example? I really don't want it to be more than a 10-15 minute drive. Any SF/Seattle like areas with those requirements?

- Lack of nature/hiking/water opportunities? I know I have seen that you can go skiing around Phoenix? I want to go to the gym and play tennis mostly. But an occasional, nice hike/park/bike ride would be ideal also. Can I expect these things in Phoenix? When can these activities be done?

- Will I be ok with a $50K salary? And live somewhat of a "hippie/yuppie" lifestyle?

I think my ideal place would be the Bay Area/San Diego, but difficult to get a residency there and don't have the money to maintain a nice lifestyle in those areas making 50K. So Tampa for now! Warm weather and nice golfing?? What else can I look forward to??

Help me out guys!! Thanks!!

*I did not mean to be rude with any of these questions at all...just genuine questions from someone who is planning a big move/career decisions and don't know much about the area. Thanks again!*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 06:10 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times
You can live nicely in South Tampa as a single person. SF area type culture ONLY in SF area, NOT here. Come and visit first!
I will never let "weather" dictate another move!

Old 12-01-2010, 06:20 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCB View Post
Hey all. Been reading the forum for a while!!

I am a single 27 year old interviewing in the Tampa area for a residency.
I am going to be interviewing at USF Tampa General Hospital.
Anyone know anything about the hospital? Would be extremely helpful!

Also, it is only a 3 year residency and I can live anywhere for 3 years and make the best of it!!!...but there are the things I am a bit weary of:

- Obviously the extreme heat! But I think I would much rather have extreme heat than cold. I have grown up in the Midwest/NorthEast and would rather be in 110 rather than 20 any day. I am going to be inside most of the time working anyway. I want to join a nice gym for the evenings...will I be able to go dive in a pool afterwards? at my apt? at the gym?, etc.

- Lack of culture/"scene"? I guess Tampa has the Bucs. What other cultural opportunities are abound? Good museums? Art? Transport? Coffee shops? Parks? Place for young/urban professionals/SF type/loungy/somewhat upscale for a 50K salary? I am just dumb....any insight/perspective in this department would be helpful. A good singles scene? An Asian Indian Scene??

-Where would/should/could I live and commute easily to Tampa General Hospital for example? I really don't want it to be more than a 10-15 minute drive. Any SF/Seattle like areas with those requirements?

- Lack of nature/hiking/water opportunities? I know I have seen that you can go skiing around Phoenix? I want to go to the gym and play tennis mostly. But an occasional, nice hike/park/bike ride would be ideal also. Can I expect these things in Phoenix? When can these activities be done?

- Will I be ok with a $50K salary? And live somewhat of a "hippie/yuppie" lifestyle?

I think my ideal place would be the Bay Area/San Diego, but difficult to get a residency there and don't have the money to maintain a nice lifestyle in those areas making 50K. So Tampa for now! Warm weather and nice golfing?? What else can I look forward to??

Help me out guys!! Thanks!!

*I did not mean to be rude with any of these questions at all...just genuine questions from someone who is planning a big move/career decisions and don't know much about the area. Thanks again!*
You should be able to live pretty comfortably on 50K in Tampa.

In terms of weather sure it's hot, but you get used to it and pretty much everywhere there's ice cold A/C running. I'm leaving Philadelphia where this past July was hotter than Florida's, so in comparison if you're used to the Northeast US summers with all of that hot asphalt and concrete you won't find it any worse. In terms of gyms and pools, there are no shortage and you'll get some recommendations. The same for cultural activities, a quick Google search will turn up plenty. South Tampa is the epicenter of "loungy/yuppiness" and think you'll probably fit in fine in terms of your criteria. Tampa is actually a three franchise pro-sports town. Besides the NFL's Tampa Bay Bucs you have the NHL's Tampa Bay Lightning and MLB's Tampa Bay Rays. In terms of neighborhoods, you won't find any SF/Seattle-like neighborhoods here. Your best fit is probably Hyde Park or Soho (south of Howard).

Old 12-01-2010, 02:13 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
No brainer - Harbour Island, Davis Islands, Hyde Park, Channelside areas would be where I'd live if I worked at TGH. I think it's a good hospital - been there twice as a visitor and always impressed w/ the staff morale, and friendliness. There are a few high rise apartments near the Kennedy Library/Performing Arts Center - not a far commute to TGH.

For $50k, you'll live just fine/comfortably. Golf is a little pricier in the winter months, but a bargain during the summer (heat, snowbirds are gone). NHL is fairly close-by to TGH. Buc season tickets are $325 for third level seats (I got mine), Rays games can be managed cheaply as well (they won't be as good because of a major loss of best players). Beaches are a little drive from the downtown area - 30-45 mins, probably.

Channelside and Ybor City have the nightlife that you're looking for. Hyde Park in the daytime for coffee places, art, etc.

Good luck with your residency - as a former nurse at an Army medical center, I counted on the residents tremendously. Always empathetic for the workload and hours they maintained. Just make sure you treat the nurses well.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
No brainer - Harbour Island, Davis Islands, Hyde Park, Channelside areas would be where I'd live if I worked at TGH. I think it's a good hospital - been there twice as a visitor and always impressed w/ the staff morale, and friendliness. Good luck with your residency - as a former nurse at an Army medical center, I counted on the residents tremendously. Always empathetic for the workload and hours they maintained. Just make sure you treat the nurses well.
I am always nice to nurses. They can make or break your rotation. And I learn so much from them.

I just looked at pics of those places you mentioned. Would I be able to afford living there? With a 50 k salary?

Could I play tennis there everyday?

Old 12-01-2010, 03:24 PM

There's a tennis club on Harbour Island (biking/walking distance to TGH, I think). There are some gated apartments throughout Harbour Island - I almost bought a condo there. I'm sure you'd be able to find a rental. There's got to be higher turnover of people (Univ of Tampa is nearby as well as TGH employees).

I was thinking about his area.......google map this place and check out the satellite picture. I think you'll see the tennis club. Not sure what the price of membership is for the club. I don't think it is one of those exclusive places.

611 FATHOM CR, Tampa, FL 33602 - Google Maps

On second thought, just checked out their website...might be pricey. Looks like you can get a tennis only membership and a young professional/student membership (hopefully discounted).

http://harbourislandathleticclub.com/Home_Page.aspx

Old 12-01-2010, 04:25 PM

**RENTALS- Skypoint DOWNTOWN Tampa Rentals! Call NICK 813-598-3134 South Tampa Apartments Condo Rentals!

Not sure what your budget will be - but this is centrally located in downtown Tampa - not far from restaurants, and TGH. Pricey, though.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:13 AM

Thanks for all the info! You guys have been more than helpful! I love CD Forums.

I am not even sure if I will be able to get the position at TGH, but the more and more I think about it, I see how much of an ideal place this will be.

As I mentioned, I will be making around 50K before taxes. I want to be able to get to the hospital pretty fast...as I will be on call a lot and I will need to be at the hospital very early in the mornings.

However, I just broke up with a long term gf and will be ready to date/mingle once I get down to Tampa while in residency. What is a nice vibrant part of town near TGH that I could live and then perhaps drive 5-10 min. to go study/flirt at a coffee shop, etc?
I guess I just want a vibrant scene...during my day off, I wanna have coffee shops, bars, easy access to Tampa Bay Bucs games, the beach, some water sports, etc.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Last edited by MDCB; 12-05-2010 at 07:22 AM..

Old 12-05-2010, 07:30 PM

there are several newer apartment in the downtown area - good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay