Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2010, 05:53 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,308,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You're kidding about the humidity? I lived in Portland, Oregon for three years and didn't have A/C. While the winters are wet and and dreary the spring and summers are dry and quite comfortable, the humidity is very low and temps hover around 80 degrees. Every once in awhile there is a heat wave with temps in the 90s and sometimes even 100 degrees, but it breaks after a few days.

Nothing compares to the humidity down here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbillyx View Post
Agree. The statement about humidity in the Pacific Northwest is dead wrong. I lived in Seattle for two years and never felt any humidity. None. It was rainy and cool almost all year and the summers were like dry spring days in DC.
There is never a reason to ever be wrong about anything when you know how to um... use google.

--------------------------------------------

In the United States the most humid cities, strictly in terms of relative humidity, are Forks and Olympia, Washington.[5] This fact may come as a surprise to many, as the climate in this region rarely exhibits the discomfort usually associated with high humidity. Dew points are typically much lower on the West Coast than on the East. Because high dew points play a more significant role than relative humidity in the discomfort created during humid days, the air in these western cities usually does not feel "humid."

Humidity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-----------------------------------------

What Is The Most Humid City In The U.S.?

SEATTLE - If you've ever been along the Gulf Coast, you'd probably swear any of those cities would be king of the humidity -- especially on days where it seems you can cut the air with a knife.

However, believe it or not, we have the humidity champ right in our own backyard. Forks, Washington takes the crown for most humid city, averaging 83 percent. Olympia is right behind with an average 78 percent. Then, more logical answers like Port Arthur, Texas (77.5%) and Lake Charles, Louisiana (77%) dot the list.

Why don't we notice it as much? Our dew points (the temperature at which air saturates) are much lower here. Humidity doesn't start to feel uncomfortable until dew points reach over 60 degrees. Around here, they're typically in the 35-50 degree range. Along the Gulf Coast, they're typically between 60 and 70 degrees.

What Is The Most Humid City In The U.S.? | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News | F.A.Q.

------------------------------------
10 Most Humid Cities In America

Wed, Aug 4, 2010

Our friend Stacy, who has the misfortune of living in a city where breathing air is similar to breathing water, alerted us to this list of the 10 Most Humid Cities in America.

If you’re like us and you don’t particularly enjoy walking outside only to be covered in a disgusting sheen of sweat minutes later, perhaps it’s best to avoid these cities where it stays muggy all year long.

Surprisingly, places like Washington D.C. and New York City didn’t make the list, though you’ll still suffer from mildew armpits and hair that looks like you just got out of the shower in those cities too.

According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, here are the cities where the humidity is so abnormally bad, everything smells like B.O. and sidewalks have dangerously turned into slip ‘n slides:

#10. Olympia, Washington (78% year-round humidity)

#9. Houston, Texas (78%)

#8. Brownsville, Texas (78%)

#7. Victoria, Texas (78.5%)

#6. Corpus Christi, Texas (78.5%)

#5. Lake Charles, Louisiana (79.5%)

#4. Port Arthur, Texas (80%)

#3. Astoria, Oregon (81%)

#2. Mount Washington, New Hampshire (83%)
And the most humid city in the United States is…

#1. Quillayute/Forks, Washington, with an average yearly humidity of 83.5%. How do those Twilight vampires deal with all that humidity?
Well, with half the list taken up by cities in Texas, we say it’s not advisable to visit the Lone Star State unless you have gills like Kevin Costner in Waterworld.

I guess everything really is bigger in Texas… including the acorn-size beads of sweat rolling down your shirt.

10 Most Humid Cities In America*|*The Jetpacker

Last edited by craigm1841; 12-20-2010 at 06:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 06:10 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Mike, we are not talking about a country road here at cow's tail! NOR the north side of Dale Mabry FROM Van Dyke to 54!

We are talking about a MAJOR shopping stretch that happens between Mapledale and the south end of Dale Mabry! There are sidewalks on both sides, they appear and disappear the problem is they lead to nowhere because at that intersection I mentioned, along with others, there are no lines for a pedestrian crossing, yesterday we drove down Florida Ave, and ALL Intersections HAD pedestrian walks.
Yesterday you said there were no sidewalks.
I showed that there were so you then said, "real cities have sidewalks on Both sides of any street! ".
I then asked what the problem with using crosswalks was so you come back and say they are no crosswalks.
If you look at these links to google maps you will see clearly defined crosswalks at both Mapledale and Northdale on Dale Mabry.

Google Maps
Google Maps

What's next?

Old 12-20-2010, 07:04 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,300,717 times
Images of downtown Tampa and IMMEDIATE surrounding areas...

Tampa, Florida - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/57274263@N03/sets/72157625638061716/ - broken link)

I had to create a flickr gallery because there were too many pics...

This is what it looks like, and it doesn't get any better when the sun is out. (Unfortunately)

Old 12-20-2010, 07:39 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Every city I've ever been to has an industrial area outside of the immediate downtown area. Those industrial areas are often just blocks away from the high rise buildings and the "business district". Based on the volume of "down town" traffic in your photo arrangment, you must have been there on a Sunday morning. Lower Manhattan on a Sunday morning is a fairly quiet place as are most downtown areas.

If you want hustle and bustle, crowded streets, cars jamming the road ways, mass transportation alternatives and all the joys that go with it all, Tampa, FL is not the place for you. In fact I'd say none of the south east part of the country would be suitable to your needs. You've tried 3 FL cities, apparently found none to your liking. I'd bail out as soon as possible. I could not imagine living life feeling like you're in a hell of some sort.

Quote:
Images of downtown Tampa and IMMEDIATE surrounding areas...

Tampa, Florida - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/57274263@N03/sets/72157625638061716/ - broken link)

I had to create a flickr gallery because there were too many pics...

This is what it looks like, and it doesn't get any better when the sun is out. (Unfortunately)

Old 12-20-2010, 07:46 AM

Should there not be a painted white set of lines in the street, were you able to see a WALK/DONT WALK sign attached to the traffic light somewhere nearby? What prevents any one from crossing the street to get to the other side?

Quote:
Mike, we are not talking about a country road here at cow's tail! NOR the north side of Dale Mabry FROM Van Dyke to 54!

We are talking about a MAJOR shopping stretch that happens between Mapledale and the south end of Dale Mabry! There are sidewalks on both sides, they appear and disappear the problem is they lead to nowhere because at that intersection I mentioned, along with others, there are no lines for a pedestrian crossing, yesterday we drove down Florida Ave, and ALL Intersections HAD pedestrian walks.

They are building those wooden sidewalks alongside now, but they too will lead to nowhere if they don't draw pedestrian crossings, Between Mapeldale and Ehrlich you have Home Depot, Target, Walmart, DSW, Olive Garden, Evans restaurant...Boston Market, Pep Boys, Sams, Sweetbay, Publix and a whole bunch of other little stores I don't have time to list now, this is within a mile if that, and people have to park, go to a store on one side only to the get back in the car to cross the street to go on the other side!!!!! if you don't have MAJOR shopping to do and there were pedestrian crossings, people could go back and forth without wasting anymore gas!

IF I need something at Pep Boys, a spark plug, and pick up some photos at Walgreens why do I have to be forced to get back in the car to cross the street, park again, engine on and of and on and off wasting gas....to get an envelope! makes NO sense when I could just cross the street with my FEET that don't require expensive gas and get what I need ECONOMICALLY!!

Old 12-20-2010, 07:49 AM

How could anyone compare weather in Portland Oregon in the Pacific Northwest with Tampa Florida which is on the west coast of Florida? Does the word "tropical climate" tell you anything?

Old 12-20-2010, 07:56 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Every city I've ever been to has an industrial area outside of the immediate downtown area. Those industrial areas are often just blocks away from the high rise buildings and the "business district". Based on the volume of "down town" traffic in your photo arrangment, you must have been there on a Sunday morning. Lower Manhattan on a Sunday morning is a fairly quiet place as are most downtown areas.

If you want hustle and bustle, crowded streets, cars jamming the road ways, mass transportation alternatives and all the joys that go with it all, Tampa, FL is not the place for you. In fact I'd say none of the south east part of the country would be suitable to your needs. You've tried 3 FL cities, apparently found none to your liking. I'd bail out as soon as possible. I could not imagine living life feeling like you're in a hell of some sort.
Exactly! Every single city and town I have ever lived in or been to, tiny or large, has a side of town that looks like this. Even here in "tony" Sarasota, we have a rather large industrial side immediately east of the beautiful downtown. And a ghetto just north of downtown. Tampa is no different than anywhere else in that regard.

Algia, really, you need to leave Florida asap. It obviously is not the type of place that makes you happy if you have lived in three cities now and can't find enough to like about any of them. And from your posts it doesn't sound like things are going that well for your family living here anyway, so might as well cut your losses.

It does no good to get on here day after day and just be miserable. You need to try to channel your energy into you wonderful photography and figure out how to make your life more pleasant, even if it means a radical move.

I wish you luck.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:57 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,308,809 times
Quote:
How could anyone compare weather in Portland Oregon in the Pacific Northwest with Tampa Florida which is on the west coast of Florida? Does the word "tropical climate" tell you anything?
I am not comparing weather. I said that The Pacific Northwest had some of the most humid places in the country, not Coastal FL. I was quickly told that I am "dead wrong". Instead of arguing that I am right, I simply posted information backing up my original statement and refuting the beliefs of the people who simply told my I was "dead wrong" rather than researching it themselves.

Not comparing weather, just showing everyone that I am right... Again. Luckily, being right never seems to get old.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:02 AM

Craig.. I think this is the 2nd time you posted to disagree with me when I was not disagreeing with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
I am not comparing weather. I said that The Pacific Northwest had some of the most humid places in the country, not Coastal FL. I was quickly told that I am "dead wrong". Instead of arguing that I am right, I simply posted information backing up my original statement and refuting the beliefs of the people who simply told my I was "dead wrong" rather than researching it themselves.

Not comparing weather, just showing everyone that I am right... Again. Luckily, being right never seems to get old.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:08 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,300,717 times
Spring, there is nothing industrial on Florida or Nebraska, think of these two roads as Broadway and Church St in Manhattan, basically they both leave downtown (e.g business district) and go north.....you are right, I was there sunday morning and that was because I wanted my view of those buildings to NOT be obstructed by traffic.

The other side of downtown looks great by direct compasison, the "industrial" area by the port is bordered by new condo buildings and Channelside, both nice.

However there is no excuse to leave the two major boulevards in this kind of disrepairs as they both lead North to where all the suburbs are and where a lot of people come from to work or visit certain downtown attractions.

We went to Battery Park and walked that entire area on a Sunday Morning also and there were a lot of people walking around, jogging and shoping etc.

The reason "the south" is not like that, all tho densly populated by northeners, is because everything is to spread out and that makes it impossible to be walkable in the true sense of the word "walkable". If these two boulevards were built with nice Art Deco style or whatever else, clean they two could be beautiful and also useful by connecting the suburbs in a great way.

Please don't mistake the reasons I don't like it here with the way this city has been left to look like. Everything I pointed out can be fixed if there's a will.

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay