Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 06:39 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times

Advertisements

I scrolled from top to bottom and didn't see a photo of Tampa there...
There you go second paragraph:
"Cities generally have advanced systems for sanitation, utilities, land usage, housing, and transportation. The concentration of development greatly facilitates interaction between people and businesses, benefiting both parties in the process. "

We have a disconnect here "land wise"/"distance wise"...and we will always have that because this "city" was not planned that way in recent history, because if you look way back, you will see downtown/Ybor/Craftsman style homes all over and around IT, however, the "northerner migration" instead of concentrating close to down town continuing the existing normal path of the city, it went out on pastures and kicked the cows to the curve along with the citrus trees!
I get expansion, but go up...not away! expand proportionally...so you can continue having public transit etc, continue that along with the building expansion...

...Tampa is still in small town mode...nothing wrong with that! OK but if "anyone else" is asking comparative questions with areas that are indeed "real cities"...I can't tell them they will find that here. Or anywhere else in Florida except for Miami.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Nice post, but you neglected to define "city" - nice pictures, though. Are large buildings part of your definition?

City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 06:53 PM

427 posts, read 1,093,050 times
Actually Tampa isn't even on par with Phoenix, which I've been researching lately. I might move there after college. Either that or Los Angeles.

Phoenix Population:
City: 1.6 million
MSA: 4.3 million

They have the whole desert they can keep spreading out into. It's like the Roman Empire. Just build more freeways.

Tampa Population:
City:344 thousand
MSA: 2.7 million

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Tampa is a Giant suburb! just like Phoenix...it is a place where it doesn't snow and for a lot of ppl that is enough to call it home....is that hilarious enough for you? I wish that weren't true...but it is....because if you read the posts on this board, everyone looking to move here starts a thread on the weather....then moves onto "how the job market" and "schools"!

It really feels like "suburbia & the chains" are slowly swallowing it! soon they'll demolish the downtown for more sub divisions...and more sub divisions and even more sub divisions to accommodate everyone that is allergic to cold! which is fine with me, less crowds for us up north to deal with (yeah, wish that were true)....hell, I hope the cows will eventually revolt and reclaim their land back! hahahahahaha

Hey Mike, didn't you say you were from NY? because if you are really in need to define that, you may have missed a lot....

Old 12-16-2010, 07:08 PM

We considered Phoenix as well for the dry air...but in the end as much as I would love to have the Grand Cayon in my back yard, we decided to go north east...Phoenix is an even larger sprawl where once again, public transit is an issue and all tho better than here, it is subdivision world there too! If you go that way, might as well go all the way to Cali!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_sfl View Post
Actually Tampa isn't even on par with Phoenix, which I've been researching lately. I might move there after college. Either that or Los Angeles.

Phoenix Population:
City: 1.6 million
MSA: 4.3 million

They have the whole desert they can keep spreading out into. It's like the Roman Empire. Just build more freeways.

Tampa Population:
City:344 thousand
MSA: 2.7 million
Attached Thumbnails
My little snapshot view of Tampa-downtown-phoenix-az0015.jpg  

Old 12-16-2010, 08:48 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Tampa is a Giant suburb! just like Phoenix...it is a place where it doesn't snow and for a lot of ppl that is enough to call it home....is that hilarious enough for you? I wish that weren't true...but it is....because if you read the posts on this board, everyone looking to move here starts a thread on the weather....then moves onto "how the job market" and "schools"!

It really feels like "suburbia & the chains" are slowly swallowing it! soon they'll demolish the downtown for more sub divisions...and more sub divisions and even more sub divisions to accommodate everyone that is allergic to cold! which is fine with me, less crowds for us up north to deal with (yeah, wish that were true)....hell, I hope the cows will eventually revolt and reclaim their land back! hahahahahaha

Hey Mike, didn't you say you were from NY? because if you are really in need to define that, you may have missed a lot....
As I thought you really have no answer.

I will just refer to my post in another thread which addresses the "real city" issue.

Quote:
It is a vague term used by some here to attempt to demean another area when they have no REAL points to make.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:02 PM

no, no....you can't stand that there are ppl who prefer a different lifestyle and call this one for what it is.

As i said before, nothing wrong with it, not the only sprawl either, you can't tell me it is different because if you count the subdivisions and chains versus original shops and homes you will come up short on the second. Very short.

The northener migration could have been very beneficial IF architects and builders etc actually took this opportunity and expand by creating new and original places rather than build the same house and only change the subdivision name.

I answered your question, you just didn't like my answer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
As I thought you really have no answer.

I will just refer to my post in another thread which addresses the "real city" issue.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Fine, you're not going to like this but here it goes, you asked for it:

1. 1st and foremost: Public transit, any city without it can't call itself a "city", we could call ourselves "Car World"! and have a giant Gorilla with a Hummer on it as a mascot! or "Dealershipland"! Your choice! since we live in "Theme Park" state! might as well keep up with that trend!

Tampa has public transit. Strike one.

2. Buildings everywhere next to each other not separated by nothing or shacks! or a strip joint!

Strike two.

3. Less dilapidation, and more chick and modern constructions (judging ONLY by Tampa standards, it doesn't look like architects have any freehand, all the shopping plaza's are the same, bland looking waste of construction materials, I would hate to think the architects around are really just that uninspired)! Why does everything has to be this uniform? are we heading towards communism? just curious! none of these have a style other than "let's build something fast and cheap"....I am not an architect, and my hand drawing skills are the same as a bird with bear feet, but even "I" could draw cooler looking buildings!

Strike three

http://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/publicart/images/projects/mosi/mosi1.jpg (broken link)

4. Entertainment, and not a bar a mile or another CHAIN! (Chain, Chain, Chain...Chain of Fools...comes to mind!)....how come all these ppl coming here from "up north" can't bring with them some sophistication & diversity? and I am not talking about "we have a divers selection of chains"!
5. Jobs....not just service industry and insurance....
6. Arts...this area should easily have several ballet companies, several theaters why? because of the weather, when in NYC they go through blizzards, here they hop from AC'd car to AC'D theater, so easy! etc etc etc
7. Nicely looking dressed people (people dress like rag dolls around here? why? confused )

People coming to Florida should be amazed at how cool and clean everything is...Florida should take advantage of it's geographical location and build sophisticated and colorful buildings, Miami is the only place that does that now...everything else is so "the same" my eyes hurt!
I only got through your first 3 and you already struck out.
I won't bother with the rest since you are easily proven wrong.

And before you try, don't say that the transit isn't as big or run as late as other cities or the skyline isn't as big. It will just make you look more foolish.

Yep, you are certainly confused.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
no, no....you can't stand that there are ppl who prefer a different lifestyle and call this one for what it is.

As i said before, nothing wrong with it, not the only sprawl either, you can't tell me it is different because if you count the subdivisions and chains versus original shops and homes you will come up short on the second. Very short.

The northener migration could have been very beneficial IF architects and builders etc actually took this opportunity and expand by creating new and original places rather than build the same house and only change the subdivision name.

I answered your question, you just didn't like my answer....
I really couldn't care less what you like. I don't stand in judgment of others as you seem to do. I just point out the fallacies and untruths in your posts.

All you did was post your opinion again in that post, you never defined what a "real city" was.

In your other post where you posted what YOU thought a real city was I showed where Tampa must then be a real city in your eyes since it meets your criteria.

You probably think that no real NYers eat at chains either and that all the lines at the chains in NYC are tourists, right?

Old 12-17-2010, 12:47 AM

113 posts, read 279,232 times
Quote:
Fine, you're not going to like this but here it goes, you asked for it:

6. Arts...this area should easily have several ballet companies, several theaters why?

Theres no Ballet in Tampa? That settles it, I am not moving there.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:22 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,200,881 times
Question, I know many of you post in city vs city forum, . Here is My question, why do you all respond to these people from up north or whatever? Peoples feelings on here are just like relationships, they either love it or love it. People pretend to hate places because its something they really like about it. You be mean to someone who you like because it is a feeling which you may be new to or uncomfortable with, so what would be the point in continuing to respond to such posts? I don't get it. Obviously if people don't like Tampa so be it, fck em, we in FLorida as a whole are better off without them. Problem is they want something to do so they look for these ongoing discussion of why they dont like a Florida city, so **** it hell, we have other things to post about lol.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:25 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,307,759 times
Quote:
soon they'll demolish the downtown for more sub divisions...and more sub divisions and even more sub divisions to accommodate everyone that is allergic to cold!
Anyone hear about them demolishing downtown to build that new "sub division"

Oh wait... it is not a sub division... and it is the ghetto they are demolishing.

ENCORE! - Downtown's Tempo District

Algia- sometimes you do make it too easy

http://cll.bizjournals.com/story_image/202489-0-0-1.jpg (broken link)

http://southtampa2.tbo.com/exposure/ar/659/372/2010/11/24/82587_encore.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay