Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 06:00 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisredfield96 View Post
Theres no Ballet in Tampa? That settles it, I am not moving there.
Don't count it out just yet.

Dec 22nd and 23rd the Moscow Ballet will be performing it's "Great Russian Nutcracker" and Christopher Fleming formerly of The New York City Ballet will have his ballet "Gaspar – A Pirate Fantasy" here for 2 shows on Jan 30th.

Of course there is always the Patel Conservatory Youth Ballet which does a few shows every year. Getting the children of the area involved in ballet. The conservatory is directed by Peter Stark, formerly of New York City Ballet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 06:02 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,299,617 times
1. Are you using the public transit available? every day?
2. Why not take a photo of what is NEXT to those buildings....I would really stay away from playing the photo game about Tampa, I drive for a living and can take more photos that you can handle.

You are completely missing my point tho...

People moving to "any" place in the world deserve to know ALL the facts....not just a few...but if you want to play the photo game, I am up for it. Are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I only got through your first 3 and you already struck out.
I won't bother with the rest since you are easily proven wrong.

And before you try, don't say that the transit isn't as big or run as late as other cities or the skyline isn't as big. It will just make you look more foolish.

Yep, you are certainly confused.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:06 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,299,617 times
that is 1....choice...of each and I am aware of that already...as I mentioned before, I am talking about PERMANENT FIXTURES, not travelers! who happens let's say to "WORK" that day will miss it royally!

Have you looked into the PRICES? for Patel? someone, (a LOT of ppl) who live in the burbs are excluded from that UNLESS they can drive back and forth 45+ minutes between school, dinner, homework etc. Patel should have a campus HERE where the people who would also like to go ARE. Let's see who will sponsor that, because I bet you a new stadium will be build before that happens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Don't count it out just yet.

Dec 22nd and 23rd the Moscow Ballet will be performing it's "Great Russian Nutcracker" and Christopher Fleming formerly of The New York City Ballet will have his ballet "Gaspar – A Pirate Fantasy" here for 2 shows on Jan 30th.

Of course there is always the Patel Conservatory Youth Ballet which does a few shows every year. Getting the children of the area involved in ballet. The conservatory is directed by Peter Stark, formerly of New York City Ballet. AND FORMERLY AT THE ORLANDO BALLET, HE WORKED THERE WITH BUJONES UNTIL HE DIED AND AFTER....I am aware of who he is and know his personally since we lived in Orlando.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:09 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,308,519 times
algia- when was the last time you were even downtown? what in the hell are you talking about?

Old 12-17-2010, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
1. Are you using the public transit available? every day?
2. Why not take a photo of what is NEXT to those buildings....I would really stay away from playing the photo game about Tampa, I drive for a living and can take more photos that you can handle.

You are completely missing my point tho...

People moving to "any" place in the world deserve to know ALL the facts....not just a few...but if you want to play the photo game, I am up for it. Are you?
When I lived in St.Pete I did use public transit every day for work. 2 buses each way no problem.

As far as the photos, I just posted a few to show you were wrong. Downtown there are buildings right next to each other, there are also many unique buildings around but of course you won't find them in a subdivision.

You really have no "point" so I missed nothing. You don't like Tampa and try to put it down any way you can and fail each time.

Of course people need to have all the information about a place they may move and that is why I shoot down many inaccurate or just plain inane posts by others such as yourself.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:31 AM

Quote:
that is 1....choice...of each and I am aware of that already...as I mentioned before, I am talking about PERMANENT FIXTURES, not travelers! who happens let's say to "WORK" that day will miss it royally!

Have you looked into the PRICES? for Patel? someone, (a LOT of ppl) who live in the burbs are excluded from that UNLESS they can drive back and forth 45+ minutes between school, dinner, homework etc. Patel should have a campus HERE where the people who would also like to go ARE. Let's see who will sponsor that, because I bet you a new stadium will be build before that happens!
Damn you are clueless.

What about the majority of the NYC metro area that have to travel an hour to go see the ballet or Broadway show in the city, even the boroughs outside Manhattan can have 45 minute trek to get to a Broadway show.
You know how I know that? Because I actually lived in NYC and traveled down to Broadway and even taking the express bus it took 45-50 minutes plus a 10-15 minute walk across town from 5th ave

I am only using NYC as an example, since you brought it in to the discussion, before someone else comes in here to act as if I am singling out NY.

And you actually brought price into the discussion?
The Moscow Ballet Nutcracker at the TB Performing Arts Center seats start at $37.50. The NY Ballet starts at $200 and that is only for a Tues, Weds or Thurs show, it goes up for weekend shows.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
AND FORMERLY AT THE ORLANDO BALLET, HE WORKED THERE WITH BUJONES UNTIL HE DIED AND AFTER....I am aware of who he is and know his personally since we lived in Orlando.
And this means what? Are you dropping names?

OOOHH, Algia knows a ballet dancer, I am so jealous.

Sarcasm is a free service I offer.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:05 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
I really wonder about your thoughts of NYC. Apparently you have never
lived there. Unless you pay hundreds of dollars a month for a parking spot, you will spend your 30 minutes driving around looking for a place to park while you do your tours of NYC hot spots. Don't worry about 30 minutes to get anywhere in NYC by car, because really you won't. I also think that the costs involved of moving your self around NYC by car would keep you from doing so anyway. So, off to the subway and bus lines for you. I am sure you'll find that a joy.

You state you've lived in Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Orlando and now Tampa. I guess it takes a while to figure out you want out of a state. If 4 Florida cities didn't do it for you, then I'd say your quest is over.

Most of us from the North were pretty sure that "that this area is not the North and amenities found in the North will not be found here" way before we got here. If I wanted the "North" I would have stayed there. However, I can't stand the feeling of numb ears, nose and frozen fingers from November till March, relentless heat and humidity in July and August among other distasteful points of life up north.

If you find yourself "bored" then you should try looking at some of the "tourist" related websites for guidance on some of the very interesting
goings on in your area. Try looking away from downtown Tampa (where you don't live anyway) and look a little further. Don't limit yourself to the city proper.

If you want an urban lifestyle, 4 seasons and all this "entertainment" you desire, you must by now realize FL is not going to meet your needs and bid you adieu. However, something tells me that your rants against FL will continue for years to come.

Quote:
This is a talk about "things to do"...I could live in NYC 1 day or 40 years, I would still find it a lot more entertaining than Tampa. So sue me!

There is no real comparison here because we are really comparing apples and oranges from EVERY SINGLE ASPECT.

Anyone considering moving to Tampa or Florida for that matter, needs to come down and spend more than a day before deciding if this is for them or not. & do come in July. Is that simple, we Are looking to move out of here as we speak and at first opportunity we will because this is not what is entertaining to US and this is NOT where we want our kids to grow up either. I am a Northerner too if you will and I am used to living in a real city.

My 30 minute drive better be worth it...and generally IS in a Northern city such as NYC, DC, Chicago etc. 30 minutes to end up on another beach is not my idea of "things to do"! sorry.

I think what would be best is to NAME actual things to do here, so people looking to move here from Either Chicago, NYC, or Indonesia would have an idea of What the "things to do" really are!
Maybe we can have a sticky note on the top of the forum page literally listing every single thing to do, and some info on it, so people can actually have a better understanding. We lived in Miami & Fort Lauderdale too so having that to compare entertainment with, kinda kills it for this area. No offense!

You're right, everyone looking to move here, is looking to find everything they are used to do or have available now, wherever they are but in a WARMER Climate....that is not the case here Because of the fact that This is A Melting pot with all sorts of people coming here from cold & highly entertaining places.
So they won't find the things they are used to having up north because this is "The South"! and there are OTHER things here to entertain with.

"I" do wonder sometimes how come say a Broadway or a free museum has never made it here! Considering how many people want to live here..........bringing me back to my point that this area is not the North and amenities found in the North will not be found here.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:22 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Question, I know many of you post in city vs city forum, . Here is My question, why do you all respond to these people from up north or whatever? Peoples feelings on here are just like relationships, they either love it or love it. People pretend to hate places because its something they really like about it. You be mean to someone who you like because it is a feeling which you may be new to or uncomfortable with, so what would be the point in continuing to respond to such posts? I don't get it. Obviously if people don't like Tampa so be it, fck em, we in FLorida as a whole are better off without them. Problem is they want something to do so they look for these ongoing discussion of why they dont like a Florida city, so **** it hell, we have other things to post about lol.
Just wanted to address this. I believe most of the sane posters here don't really give a flip if someone likes it here or not, but we hate to see newcomers here looking for real advice and reading some of these inane ranting posts from a few and thinking that's how it really is here. Thank God for Mike Peterson, Craig, Kyle, tampaguy, annieoldsmar and others who really provide lots of good info and tell it like it is, and with solid links, photos, etc. to back up what they say.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:25 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
Why would anyone think Tampa is like Chicago and NYC?

Why would it want to be?

Quote:
I responded to this already......and I am definitely not on a mission to ruin anything. But let's stop comparing this area to real cities like Chicago, NYC etc...I read posts asking for the stuff they have there and while I get that people want that in a warm climate, this is definitely not a peer to any of those cities, could it be? ever? maybe....but I don't see it...not meant that way, not physically planed that way.

Tampa/Florida is definitely NOT for everybody. Some people don't agree with that and want everyone to move here and live happily ever after! not gonna happen.....

I am happy for everyone that moved here and is happy! great for them...but don't make that the rule...a lot of ppl move here and then don't know how to move out faster.....we're not ready to retire yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay