U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 09:17 PM

110 posts, read 87,931 times
Default My little snapshot view of Tampa

Over many years, I have visited Tampa for a limited time to see a relative. I only get a brief snapshot of Tampa but I have the following impressions. I am from New York.
I welcome any comments and opinions on my perspectives.

The Negative:

There is a limited amount of entertainment and just a lack of a sense of "vibrancy" (Hope I am wrong).
Downtown Tampa is strictly a 9 to 5 business city.
The local evening news is boring.
There is little cultural diversity.
Too many chain restaurants. Is there good pizza or Chinese food?
Many months of punishing heat.
Cars with the Stars n Bars flag of the Confederate every so often.
Everything is dependent on your car or you are in trouble.
The area is spread out...I doubt people in Tampa get to St. Pete or people in St. Pete get to Tampa often??

The Positive:

Property taxes, although at a steep 20 mil rate, are still lower than NY.
More affordable housing for purchase.
No state income tax.
Seems to be more choices for Individual health insurance and priced lower too than NY.
No winter cold, ice, snow.
Some nice scenery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 11:10 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,165,656 times
Here is my take on your negatives.

There is a limited amount of entertainment and just a lack of a sense of "vibrancy" (Hope I am wrong). Plenty of entertainment in the Bay area. Not as vibrant because its spread out.
Downtown Tampa is strictly a 9 to 5 business city. If you include Channelside, )technically is downtown), than no. Always seems to be people walking around there. But the rest of DT is pretty dead, but its improving.
The local evening news is boring. Entertaining evening news usually means something bad happened.
There is little cultural diversity. There is more culture in Florida than most think. Maybe not as much as NE cities, but its here.
Too many chain restaurants. Is there good pizza or Chinese food? There are a lot of chains, but that doesn't mean there aren't any authentic restaurants.
Many months of punishing heat. Half of the year is miserably hot, the other half is beautiful
Cars with the Stars n Bars flag of the Confederate every so often. I'd rather see those than a Yankee sticker, but unfortunately we have a lot of both
Everything is dependent on your car or you are in trouble. True
The area is spread out...I doubt people in Tampa get to St. Pete or people in St. Pete get to Tampa often?? Some do, most don't.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:23 AM

2,602 posts, read 4,330,524 times
There is a limited amount of entertainment and just a lack of a sense of "vibrancy" (Hope I am wrong).
There is plenty of entertainment. It's just not concentrated in one area.

Downtown Tampa is strictly a 9 to 5 business city. A lot of Downtown Tampa is like that. You have the Channelside area in downtown that is usually hopping, and Ybor City is a mile northeast of Tampa and is one of the major entertainment areas. There is a small number of independent bars and restaurants downtown, but give it time and more will come.

The local evening news is boring. I didn't think news was supposed to be exciting. Since it's Florida, there are always stories about creeps and scoundrels causing trouble.

There is little cultural diversity. Hardly true. Tampa is home to many different ethnic groups, each with their own restaurants and whatnot.

Too many chain restaurants. Is there good pizza or Chinese food? This isn't a Tampa thing. Every city has chain restaurants. Once you get out of the suburbs and drive around, Tampa has many hidden independent places.

Many months of punishing heat. Depends on what you consider hot. I love March-September. It's the cold months that I can't stand.

Cars with the Stars n Bars flag of the Confederate every so often. You have to remember that you're in the South. That's just a common thing down here. It's better than giant Yankees and Red Sox decals.

Everything is dependent on your car or you are in trouble. Mostly true, but the urban parts of Tampa have very good bus service.

The area is spread out...I doubt people in Tampa get to St. Pete or people in St. Pete get to Tampa often?? Yeah, but so are most cities out of the Northeast. Plenty of people go between the two cities, but St. Pete has some nightlife of its own.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:29 AM

8,490 posts, read 10,800,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deebin View Post
Over many years, I have visited Tampa for a limited time to see a relative. I only get a brief snapshot of Tampa but I have the following impressions. I am from New York.
I welcome any comments and opinions on my perspectives.

The Negative:

There is plenty to do, it will of course be a little more spread out but most that get out and just go never lack for things to do.
Downtown Tampa is strictly a 9 to 5 business city.
The entertainment areas are outside the business areas.
The local evening news is boring.
Not enough shootings or stabbings? I really don't understand this statement, I want my news to give me info not entertainment
There is little cultural diversity.
There is plenty of cultural diversity though it may not be as segregated as other areas. The people here all seem to live together instead of broken up into a Chinatown, Little Italy, etc.
Too many chain restaurants. Is there good pizza or Chinese food?
There are chain restaurants everywhere, every state. Yes there is good pizza and Chinese food as well as most other types of foods.
Many months of punishing heat.
Many months of beautiful heat, it has been that way for 100's of years
Cars with the Stars n Bars flag of the Confederate every so often.
Southerners proud of their heritage, a negative to you but a positive to them.
Everything is dependent on your car or you are in trouble.
The area is spread out...I doubt people in Tampa get to St. Pete or people in St. Pete get to Tampa often??
People go from Tampa to St.Pete and the other way all the time. People like me travel all over the area. Some people like the way of life that you use your car rather than be dependent on public transportation.

The Positive:

Property taxes, although at a steep 20 mil rate, are still lower than NY.
You certainly only looked at one area because there are spots that taxes are in the 14-15 mil range.
More affordable housing for purchase.
No state income tax.
Seems to be more choices for Individual health insurance and priced lower too than NY.
No winter cold, ice, snow.
Some nice scenery.
Yes, I know my reply may seem rude to some but some of these statements are the same that are posted all the time and are just not true.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:41 AM

5,453 posts, read 3,702,875 times
Have you ever been to NYC? at all? an hour maybe?

There may be "things to do", they are completely different types of things to do, and if you are NOT into this area's types of things to do, you do have Nothing to do indeed! I completely agree with this post minus that 20mil tax thing? which I didn't get at all as it is not my thing....

The news are the news here in FL...and yes, ALL they ever have is THAT.....shootings and stabbings which I find ridiculous, annoying, useless, and in some cases such as Orlando Idiotic as well, Wasted air space!........news casts are poorly acted out and are unwatchable! I guess this counts as "something to do" (watching the news) since we lack on more valuable things to do! Jeez!

2 types of people drive all over the place without regard:
1. where gas is no object
2. for work

You're right, the rest of the ppl don't make it a point in traveling back and forth for the hell of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Yes, I know my reply may seem rude to some but some of these statements are the same that are posted all the time and are just not true.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Have you ever been to NYC? at all? an hour maybe?

There may be "things to do", they are completely different types of things to do, and if you are NOT into this area's types of things to do, you do have Nothing to do indeed! I completely agree with this post minus that 20mil tax thing? which I didn't get at all as it is not my thing....

The news are the news here in FL...and yes, ALL they ever have is THAT.....shootings and stabbings which I find ridiculous, annoying, useless, and in some cases such as Orlando Idiotic as well, Wasted air space!........news casts are poorly acted out and are unwatchable! I guess this counts as "something to do" (watching the news) since we lack on more valuable things to do! Jeez!

2 types of people drive all over the place without regard:
1. where gas is no object
2. for work

You're right, the rest of the ppl don't make it a point in traveling back and forth for the hell of it.
Have I ever been to NYC?

I lived there for 25 years, how about you?

If you are not into the type of things this area has to offer then my suggestion would be to move somewhere you are in to the things the place has to offer.
Your post is truly non sensible, you want your news acted out? I want straight forward facts. I watch movies for acting.

I drive a lot for a few reasons. I enjoy living on 3 1/2 acres and not having someone right next to me. This puts me a little out of the way which is fine by me, I will drive to what I want to do.
My daughters soccer games take me all over the area, sometime 100's of miles away.
There are many other things I travel for but it is not "for the hell of it" and I don't know where you got that I drive just for the sake of driving. Please explain that one.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:50 AM

Half the joy of going anywhere is taken away by having to drive over 30 minutes each way to get to the "entertainment"! simply enough.....I want to get to the attraction not spend time in my vehicle behind people allergic to turning signals! or be cut off at the bumper! which is very popular here and NOT by northerners, but by Southerners!

Americans actually by comparison spend a LOT of time driving.
"The average American spends approx. 3 hours per day in their car. This is due largely to the factors of congestion and urban sprawl."

Well, then if you no longer live there, that means you are not into that type of entertainment, simply enough, nothing wrong with that, but let's not overestimate the "things to do here"! There are over 8 million ppl living in NYC and a small %age that wants to move out....the rest appreciate what that area has to offer and would never imagine living anywhere else. Me included.

The news ARE Acted here is what I was trying to say, I should have had that in quotes...no, the news shouldn't be acted out...but they are and there are really no worthy news to watch in the first place, I use Yahoo or Google if I want "NEWS".....as I am not interested to watch a million commercials and know who else shot who else in Seminole Heights!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Have I ever been to NYC?

I lived there for 25 years, how about you?

If you are not into the type of things this area has to offer then my suggestion would be to move somewhere you are in to the things the place has to offer.
Your post is truly non sensible, you want your news acted out? I want straight forward facts. I watch movies for acting.

I drive a lot for a few reasons. I enjoy living on 3 1/2 acres and not having someone right next to me. This puts me a little out of the way which is fine by me, I will drive to what I want to do.
My daughters soccer games take me all over the area, sometime 100's of miles away.
There are many other things I travel for but it is not "for the hell of it" and I don't know where you got that I drive just for the sake of driving. Please explain that one.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Half the joy of going anywhere is taken away by having to drive over 30 minutes each way to get to the "entertainment"! simply enough.....I want to get to the attraction not spend time in my vehicle behind people allergic to turning signals! or be cut off at the bumper! which is very popular here and NOT by northerners, but by Southerners!

Americans actually by comparison spend a LOT of time driving.
"The average American spends approx. 3 hours per day in their car. This is due largely to the factors of congestion and urban sprawl."

Since the NY metro area comprises the majority of areas with the longest commute times of anywhere in the country, this includes mass transit but is still time traveling, it doesn't seem as if the Tampa area is that bad.

If half of your joy of going somewhere is taken away by having to drive 30 minutes then I would say you just dwell too much on things that make you unhappy. When I lived in NYC it would take me 30 minutes to get to many things I was going to do whether it was by car or mass transit. Forget going to the beach, that was 1 1/2 hours during the summer, maybe that is why I am not really a beach person. It used to take me 45-50 minutes to take the bus to school in the morning, my kids are at school in under 15 minutes.

As far as the northerner or southerner causing the problems, anyone that blames it on either group is foolish. There is not an inherent drive bad gene in the body that would cause one group of people to do this.

Well, then if you no longer live there, that means you are not into that type of entertainment, simply enough, nothing wrong with that, but let's not overestimate the "things to do here"! There are over 8 million ppl living in NYC and a small %age that wants to move out....the rest appreciate what that area has to offer and would never imagine living anywhere else. Me included.

Actually there are many in NYC that want to and have moved out, the only reason the population still grows is because with 8 million people popping out babies it helps offset the number that are moving.

I have an idea, move to NY and stop bitching about Tampa. You seem to be unhappy and if moving to NY would make you happy it would seem the thing to do.

The news ARE Acted here is what I was trying to say, I should have had that in quotes...no, the news shouldn't be acted out...but they are and there are really no worthy news to watch in the first place, I use Yahoo or Google if I want "NEWS".....as I am not interested to watch a million commercials and know who else shot who else in Seminole Heights!!!!!!!!!

Are you trying to tell me that the news stations are even better in NY? They are all the same, they have done away with actually reporting the news and tried to become an entertainment show.

Do news shows elsewhere not have commercials? If you are trying to show things that are worse here please show how it differs from othert places
You also didn't answer how long you lived in NYC. It seemed you were questioning my answer because you didn't think I had experience with living elsewhere.

How long did you live in NYC?

Old 12-16-2010, 06:53 AM

10,036 posts, read 16,024,162 times
I agree with all the posts here except algia's, so I won't repeat the answers. As a native of Tampa who has visited many other cities the same size, I have to say that Tampa stacks up pretty well, and has more to offer than many.

While it's true that currently downtown is mostly a business core with the exception of Channelside and Ybor City (main entertainment districts), I believe that once the Encore project is built we are going to see a whole new vibrancy, especially once the high-speed rail gets built. The Encore project is sort of the "missing link" that hooks all the areas together. My husband has worked downtown for 10 years, and he has seen massive, positive changes. He says more new places are opening all the time.

We have tons of cultural diversity here. Tampa is, and always has been a melting pot of cultures, originally established by Spaniards, Cubans, Italians, Germans and African-Americans. Today we have all those in addition to many other island cultures, Europeans, and transplants from all over the US, who recognize that this is a pretty nice place to live. When I was growing up, people DID seem to live in "villages" of ethnic origin (I grew up in old West Tampa, being Spanish) but today everyone mixes and lives together.

The cons are that a lot of it is spread out, right now public transit could be improved upon, but honestly it's the same all over the country in cities the size of Tampa, you only find good transit in pretty large metros, with just a few exceptions.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:15 AM

This is a talk about "things to do"...I could live in NYC 1 day or 40 years, I would still find it a lot more entertaining than Tampa. So sue me!

There is no real comparison here because we are really comparing apples and oranges from EVERY SINGLE ASPECT.

Anyone considering moving to Tampa or Florida for that matter, needs to come down and spend more than a day before deciding if this is for them or not. & do come in July. Is that simple, we Are looking to move out of here as we speak and at first opportunity we will because this is not what is entertaining to US and this is NOT where we want our kids to grow up either. I am a Northerner too if you will and I am used to living in a real city.

My 30 minute drive better be worth it...and generally IS in a Northern city such as NYC, DC, Chicago etc. 30 minutes to end up on another beach is not my idea of "things to do"! sorry.

I think what would be best is to NAME actual things to do here, so people looking to move here from Either Chicago, NYC, or Indonesia would have an idea of What the "things to do" really are!
Maybe we can have a sticky note on the top of the forum page literally listing every single thing to do, and some info on it, so people can actually have a better understanding. We lived in Miami & Fort Lauderdale too so having that to compare entertainment with, kinda kills it for this area. No offense!

You're right, everyone looking to move here, is looking to find everything they are used to do or have available now, wherever they are but in a WARMER Climate....that is not the case here Because of the fact that This is A Melting pot with all sorts of people coming here from cold & highly entertaining places.
So they won't find the things they are used to having up north because this is "The South"! and there are OTHER things here to entertain with.

"I" do wonder sometimes how come say a Broadway or a free museum has never made it here! Considering how many people want to live here..........bringing me back to my point that this area is not the North and amenities found in the North will not be found here.

Quote:
You also didn't answer how long you lived in NYC. It seemed you were questioning my answer because you didn't think I had experience with living elsewhere.

How long did you live in NYC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay