U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 08:39 AM

817 posts, read 1,085,827 times
There are always going to be unsafe areas of larger cities. That just seems to be way things are. When an area is poor, it breeds a certain element that breaks the law.

Now, sometimes an area can be gentrified....Hyde Park in Tampa used to be a rat hole...but the people just move elsewhere and take the crime with them.

South St Pete is the current rat hole of that area of Pinellas. Can it be changed? I don't know...I don't see how. The people there despise the police, they tend to take on a victim's stance about their neighborhood, and education there is not easy. School attendance is bad, dropout rates are high, etc...classic inner city. Saying that we should stop disparaging the area and try to find ways to change it....I agree, but efforts have been made for years, and it is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 08:44 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,791,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You would actually advise people new to the St Pete area to look around the 16th st and 18th ave S area for nice safe place to live?
From my perspective most white people would not feel comfortable living in any area bordered by 5th Ave N to 26th ave South and 49th st in the west over to 4th st in the east.
My opinion is open for criticism or correction.
No, I wouldn't (ETA: regardless of their race, I would not recommend it). What I am reading is that the majority of people (not ALL, of course) believe that anything south of whatever imaginary line they've drawn is B.A.D. and must be avoided. "South St. Pete", as far as elevated crime, certainly exists, but it's a much smaller area than what most people seem to think, and it almost feels like they are plugging their ears and singing so they don't have to hear that those generalizations are wrong.

My point is, that there are "bad" areas everywhere, but that's no reason to avoid what is actually a very large area with all kinds of different neighborhoods. Do your homework. Talk to the cops; they can give the best information, in my experience.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:01 AM

19,682 posts, read 15,411,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
Do your homework.
In the early 70's i lived in various locations in the area such as
Fairfield ave and 43st
22nd ave S and 34st across from the Biff Burger.
18ave S and 34st
9th st and 18ave S
And a few more places i've forgotten
It was a tough neighborhood back in the 70's and it doesnt look like anything has changed since .

Old 01-25-2011, 09:07 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,791,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
In the early 70's i lived in various locations in the area such as
Fairfield ave and 43st
22nd ave S and 34st across from the Biff Burger.
18ave S and 34st
9th st and 18ave S
And a few more places i've forgotten
It was a tough neighborhood back in the 70's and it doesnt look like anything has changed since .
OK, well I meant the general "you", sorry.

Looks like you've lived in some rough areas. I would prefer not to live in those locations. So, are you on board with the "there is nothing worthwhile south of 5th Ave N" crowd? I've found that lots of people get a vacant look when I mention Greater Pinellas Point, The Pink Streets, Lakewood Estates... they've never heard of them, no matter how long they've been here.

Do you see what I'm saying? I feel like my point is being missed. Would you avoid ALL neighborhoods down here? Just curious.. then I'm going to bow out because I'm feeling very frustrated.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:46 AM

2,602 posts, read 4,393,990 times
Quote:
Do you see what I'm saying? I feel like my point is being missed. Would you avoid ALL neighborhoods down here? Just curious.. then I'm going to bow out because I'm feeling very frustrated.
I understand what you're saying. I think it would be pretty cool to live in Roser Park, for example. You'd be surprised at how many people have no idea that that neighborhood exists (and it's probably the most unique neighborhood in the city) simply because it's south of Central and right off of 9th Street.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:14 PM

19,682 posts, read 15,411,261 times
I lived in a trailer park on the east side of lake Magoire,i'd call it safe,
I also lived in an apartment complex off of 62nd ave south, Could have been Lakewood estates, Safe'ish area
Also lived in a big house on Bayside drive off of 4th st also quite safe.
so yes there are safe areas on St Petes South side but ya got to know where they are,suffice it to say there are many safe areas on St Petes southside however any area within 5th Ave N to 26th ave South and 49th st in the west over to 4th st in the east would not be considered a safe area to look for housing. in my opinion

Old 02-06-2011, 11:28 PM

6 posts, read 20,962 times
You can get a house for that price.... In the right hood, but you got to know people who know people. You can buy a fixer upper in a nice area with that. The south side has soooooo many places that are for sale right now for a reason. After the kids get out of school the streets are filled with people and you can barely drive on the street. The bad south side is not all of the south side. And there are even neighborhoods like that (bad) in the north like around 5th st And 73rd ave. A good south area is called the old southeast, another is part of what is considered 'historical' kenwood. the south side is mainly black folk who mostly rent and practically every block has some kind of well known drug house that is dedicated for that purpose so the cops break it up but they have to go back to the property constantly because new drug sellers will move in. Another place with cheap properties is called pinellas park. Some of it is kinda like the south side ghetto but what people around here refer to as pinellas park white trash. That's not offense on my part I'm just telling u the truth. They got super deals I that area and it's less crime, higher elevation (less on insurance cuz it's mostly non evacuation zone). The best areas though fo have auctions and short sales that I wish i could get. I'm kind of in the same boat as you just waiting for the right property. I want the property next to my mom and dads house in a high class area called allendale but I don't have enough cash and the bank denied me so...... But I'm kinda too young anyways (24). I've lived in this area my whole life and I've been a house painter since before I was even legally allowed to work so I have tons of friends in the industry including many realtors, painters, tilers, floor people, construction people ect. I have planned on buying a house before I'm 30 for years so I've already done a lot of research..... I'm kinda weird like that I guess.
And regarding racial tension.... I was looking At houses in a notoriously bad hood (behind andys auto) and I went and talked to neighbors that were outside, on purpose, so I could get their opinion on there own neighborhood and what they think about someone 'like me' (young white girl with a nice car) moving in. They tried to insist it would be totally cool and I would have nothing to worry about, and that every is friends and watches out for each other. I have a friend that really does live around there and I told him what they said, and he said they were full of **** and that they'd probably be the first ones breaking in my car or house, and he begged me never to move there and not look at any more rentals near there.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:36 AM

425 posts, read 707,802 times
Quote:
No, I wouldn't (ETA: regardless of their race, I would not recommend it). What I am reading is that the majority of people (not ALL, of course) believe that anything south of whatever imaginary line they've drawn is B.A.D. and must be avoided.
Yes, prior to moving here and prior to being familiar with this part of FL, I heard a lot about "south of Central."

How strange it was to find that the best and cleanest part in the area was at 5th Ave South, along with the new Dali Museum and the USF campus extending a few block below that. And the first time we had to go to the brand new All Children's Hospital... 6th Ave. South I believe.

I had this idea that you could draw a line across Pinellas County and everything below it was bad. The reality was, the worst part of town was actually worse than I expected, but it was also quite a bit smaller smaller. Anything within a few to several blocks of the water seems to get an exception, as well as the areas further south, etc.

Also, hard as it might be, I guess you have to differentiate between "crazy unsafe" and "I'd not want to live there." There are plenty of places I wouldn't want to live personally and statistically these areas *are* less safe, but they're not the types of places you'd get shot at while driving though- at least during the day

If you're looking for a place in "South" St. Pete, as others have said, Google Street View is a Godsend. Especially for this area where the bad areas can't necessarily be classified with a distinct north,south,east,west boundary.

I do not know if the worst areas can ever be rehabilitated- they lack any distinctive feature that usually attracts $$$. For example, Kenwood attracts urban pioneers due to the history and architecture. Sometimes price point alone isn't enough to attract the masses- although it might happen if the folks who live in those areas can make some attempt to clean the place up. Honestly, reducing crime by 20% and getting rid of the cars on blocks would go a long way toward neighborhood appeal.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:28 PM

4 posts, read 7,391 times
I grew up in South St Petersbrurg in the 50's and 60's. Lots of raw land and dirt roads. While it wasn't completely perfect, a vast majority of home owners had a degree of pride in the upkeep of their homes that, by today's standards, is truly astounding. I have many pictures to prove it. You simply would not believe it's the same place. Nearly everyone's landscape was immaculate. My dad was out there watering and tending our lawn before he went to work everyday. It was a paradise there back then. Neighbors who looked out for the kids and would let you walk between their houses. We would camp out at night on the weekends and ride our bikes at midnight to the early morning hours in the moonlight. There used to be many many old homes from around the turn of the century back then. And many double lot homes. Pines with hanging moss everywhere. And all through those times it was as safe as your living room. In all those years as a kid getting around all those neighborhoods did I ever once worry about my safety. This is tip of the iceberg.

But now, when I go to visit, it's like taking your life in your own hands. Look at streetview on googlemaps. Why are all these kids covering their faces as the google camera car goes by. I discovered what looks like an act of violence when I checked out a streetview of my buddy's house. You can see a beatdown plain as day. Someone getting their ass kicked right on streetview googlemaps!

So what's changed? I think this started when I275 came through. I remember visiting my parents house and saw the swath that was cleared for the new freeway, and thought, oh no. Things have changed forever here. It created a ripple effect. Maybe what happened to South St Pete was going to happen eventually, and the freeway accelerated the inevitable. This I do not know.

What I am wondering is; why don't all these young adults, who are mulling around get into pooling their money and flip these homes and raise the standard of living and make some freakin money! WTF!

I dream about these neighborhoods all the time. In my dreams it's always the same thing. There I am, and the first thing I do is breath in the sweet air. It's always so real. And then I wake up.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:07 PM

6 posts, read 8,400 times
Wow...this thread has managed to present almost zero accurate information!

Good job...lol...

Some of these posts are astounding, and clearly posted by people who do not live or know the Southside in any substantive manner.

Wow...still taken aback lol...give me a moment here.

I am white and live on the Southside. Yes, most of my neighbors are black. Some are on section 8 and some are struggling. But a whole bunch work jobs just like you and I, pay their bills and live their lives. I have white neighbors, too. In fact, at my house, one directly adjacent neighbor is white, the other, black. My street is not in Driftwood or Roser Park, but it's not rambunctious or violent like some of the (very) ill-informed posts above may suggest.

At the very worst, you can throw up what I (privately) call "White Man's Fortress," also known as six foot security fencing - around your house, make a little compound and live your life in 100% peace.

Yes, I have had a drunk idiot amble by (over a year ago, mind you) and try to get my wife to leave me lol...

Yes, I hear the occasional Baby Mama Drama, loud and proud, in the street at 9PM.

Yes, once in a while some dumbass blasts his subwoofers as I am laying down to sleep.

But these have been extremely isolated incidents, not any worse than any other area. On the whole, I just love the southside.

Like today, to STIR THE POT of this fake-fear, an officer gets shot (in what is far and away from the "real" southside and pretty much a de facto northside area, close to the stadium) and I am sure a whole new wave of whitey-uptightey northside fear will grip the populace again. BLACK MAN COMMITTED CRIME SOUTH OF CENTRAL - SHUDDER SHUDDER - RETREAT NORTH!

Your fears are unfounded, unseeing and - to a resident - unbelievably ridiculous. I wonder what would be thought or said if the same incident had happened (literally) a few blocks north?

It's like saying Dubai is dangerous because it's in the middle east - nevermind the fact that it's hundreds of miles away from Iraq/Iran/etc., is heavily fortified, very developed, etc., etc. Well, a lot of the southside is Pinellas County's Dubai.

Ehhh anyways, I will continue to enjoy this unique and quite beautiful community while you guys overpay to not talk to each other, holed up in your sterile, emotionally stifled white-bread communities! That is how I grew up, and I can't stand that kind of "culture." Down here, we have it GOOD: we talk, interact, know each other, watch out for each other, enjoy life like it is meant to be lived: amongst community and people.

You "special" northsiders can keep watching your TV and avoiding us while we live amazing, fulfilling and connected lives. And - perversely enough - I am a white, conservative Republican!!!

Last edited by yourstreet; 02-22-2011 at 03:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay