Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 08:09 AM

1,942 posts, read 4,568,295 times

Advertisements

I created a thread about moving to Tampa after Thanksgiving last month. Was planning on getting an apartment and so on in New Tampa. Was also enthused about LA Fitness.

Here's my deal that I decided to do after getting to Tampa: I will stay in a hotel long term. In fact, an engineer in my group in Tampa stays at the same hotel. He got a much better rate than me. But I still get a furnished place, utilities included, I get free cable, WiFi costs $5 up front for a one time charge. The TV in my room is a 30 inch flat screen. It's a ten minute drive to work. I guess renter's insurance must be built into the hotel stay too. I feel relatively safe in that part of Temple Terrace. It's a 15 minute drive to LA Fitness and I get there very early in the morning. Traffic on I-75 is not too bad for me. I return to the hotel after working out, eat breakfast, and head to work.

I found LA Fitness in New Tampa (near County Line Rd and Bruce B Downs Blvd) to be top notch. It's the best LA Fitness I've been to. It has a four-lane indoor pool, which is great. There is also a YMCA with an outdoor pool not far from there in case I wish to rejoin masters swimming.

One regret is that there are mostly fast food restaurants on Fowler. Hard to find some healthy eating for lunch. I found a Greek restaurant that has Falafel.

I have not seeen much of Tampa. But from what I saw north of Fowler and east of USF, it's not too bad. Wesley Chapel area is awesome. From my perspective, I have an address in south east Phoenix, which is considered "Ahwatukee," which I think is comparable to New Tampa.

I went to Whole Foods Market in Tampa a weekend ago and was surprised at the heavy traffic on the freeway. Encountered it again on 275 yesterday on the way to the airport.

I suppose if I want to go biking, I will just rent a bike. I really love traveling light. A suitcase and a dufffel bag are all I will have in Tampa - no bike. Looks like there are some interesting biking areas as discussed before - Pinellas trail...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 09:00 PM

158 posts, read 284,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
I created a thread about moving to Tampa after Thanksgiving last month. Was planning on getting an apartment and so on in New Tampa. Was also enthused about LA Fitness.

Here's my deal that I decided to do after getting to Tampa: I will stay in a hotel long term. In fact, an engineer in my group in Tampa stays at the same hotel. He got a much better rate than me. But I still get a furnished place, utilities included, I get free cable, WiFi costs $5 up front for a one time charge. The TV in my room is a 30 inch flat screen. It's a ten minute drive to work. I guess renter's insurance must be built into the hotel stay too. I feel relatively safe in that part of Temple Terrace. It's a 15 minute drive to LA Fitness and I get there very early in the morning. Traffic on I-75 is not too bad for me. I return to the hotel after working out, eat breakfast, and head to work.

I found LA Fitness in New Tampa (near County Line Rd and Bruce B Downs Blvd) to be top notch. It's the best LA Fitness I've been to. It has a four-lane indoor pool, which is great. There is also a YMCA with an outdoor pool not far from there in case I wish to rejoin masters swimming.

One regret is that there are mostly fast food restaurants on Fowler. Hard to find some healthy eating for lunch. I found a Greek restaurant that has Falafel.

I have not seeen much of Tampa. But from what I saw north of Fowler and east of USF, it's not too bad. Wesley Chapel area is awesome. From my perspective, I have an address in south east Phoenix, which is considered "Ahwatukee," which I think is comparable to New Tampa.

I went to Whole Foods Market in Tampa a weekend ago and was surprised at the heavy traffic on the freeway. Encountered it again on 275 yesterday on the way to the airport.

I suppose if I want to go biking, I will just rent a bike. I really love traveling light. A suitcase and a dufffel bag are all I will have in Tampa - no bike. Looks like there are some interesting biking areas as discussed before - Pinellas trail...
If you don't mind could you send me info on the hotel you are staying and possibly what they are charging for your stay? Thanks in advance!

Old 12-24-2010, 12:32 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,667 times
I hope you enjoy your stay. That area isn't all that much in terms of variety or aesthetic appeal, but it's only a small corner of Tampa.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:03 AM

1,942 posts, read 4,568,295 times
Thank you! I think you people are a bit too critical of your home turf. Or maybe I am naive because I have only seen two weeks' worth! I especially noticed New Tampa is very clean. Lots of traffic, yes, but it seems to be as clean as my part of Phoenix where I also live. And there are blighted parts of Phoenix, just as there are blighted parts of Tampa.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:36 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,605,471 times
Quote:
Thank you! I think you people are a bit too critical of your home turf. Or maybe I am naive because I have only seen two weeks' worth! I especially noticed New Tampa is very clean. Lots of traffic, yes, but it seems to be as clean as my part of Phoenix where I also live. And there are blighted parts of Phoenix, just as there are blighted parts of Tampa.
I agree with you. This is a city, and not a small one, which means it's going to behave like every other American city. When reading this forum, I sometimes wonder what people think cities are "supposed" to look like. I've lived in a couple other major metro areas and I would say it's pretty much par for the course here. Maybe it's that lofty ideal of Florida as paradise?

I hope you enjoy your time here!

Old 12-26-2010, 01:06 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
I went to Whole Foods Market in Tampa a weekend ago and was surprised at the heavy traffic on the freeway.
Welcome! I'm finally arriving New Years Eve Day via rented moving truck from what is currently snow-hammered Philadelphia. We're expecting over a foot of snow today/tonight/tomorrow!

How did you find the Whole Foods in Tampa in comparison to others you've visited?

Old 12-26-2010, 02:35 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,200,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Welcome! I'm finally arriving New Years Eve Day via rented moving truck from what is currently snow-hammered Philadelphia. We're expecting over a foot of snow today/tonight/tomorrow!

How did you find the Whole Foods in Tampa in comparison to others you've visited?
This is one of the time of the year that I say thank GOD I am not under those foot of snow. It is cold enough to have my fire palce going but it is still safe to drive around..

Have a safe trip..

Old 12-26-2010, 03:01 PM

26 posts, read 106,723 times
Quote:

I might end up in Tampa for 3 months next year for work. Where/which hotel are you staying in and what are the rates? I will need furnished housing, and it looks like you've found exactly what I would be looking for! Are the accommodations nice? clean? safe?

Old 12-27-2010, 05:37 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,307,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post

Whole Foods is and overatted.

Check out The Fresh Market on the corner of Henderson and Dale Mabry. Whole Foods has nothing on Fresh Market. I would go to Publix Green Wise before Whole Foods.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:38 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
Whole Foods is and overatted.

Check out The Fresh Market on the corner of Henderson and Dale Mabry. Whole Foods has nothing on Fresh Market. I would go to Publix Green Wise before Whole Foods.
You are so lucky to have a Publix Greenwise there! There are only a few in Florida and I have heard they don't intend to build more. We have Whole Foods here (Sarasota) but it is ridiculously expensive. I can find almost everything they sell at other markets, at a much lower price. If I had a Greenwise store here, that would probably be my main store. At least the Publix stores that are here are large and nice and have plenty of "greenwise" products.

I like Fresh Market, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay