Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 12:01 AM

185 posts, read 686,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leelee View Post
Hi, i have been researching and i am hopefully relocationg to florida from england.
I have researched on the net and if you want to live in Miami, Hollywood or Fort Laudredale, It is quite expensive, if you want a 3/2 house, it will be very expensive in those three cities and maybe Orlando too. If you are searching for Tampa, Bradenton, St. Petersburg, Pensacola, Tallahassee, Jacksonville, Port St. Lucie or Mount Dora it is quite reasonable. I am hoping to relocate to Port St. Lucie, Pensacola or Brandenton and they are very reasonable. Also, Mobile in Alabama a is very cheap city to live in, It is only a couple of miles to Northwest Florida and is really nice.

Here are my Average House prices.

Average house price for a 3 bed house in Miami: 300,000

Average house price for a 3 bed house in Tampa: 120,000

Average house price for a 3 bed house in Mobile: 100,000

So you can see the difference compared to Miami

Hope I have helped, Leelee
Average price for a three bedroom in Tampa $120,000???

You've got to be kidding. Where did you get that from?

That could be for the average crack house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2006, 02:47 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,376,422 times
my mom just moved from Long Island to Hillsborough County. Brand new community, just south of Riverview, they call the area "South County". Anyway, brand new constrcution, 2300sq ft, 110X80 lot back up to preserves for $295k. Great Home and Gated Community, lush landscaping. South County area of hillsborough is averaging 210-310k for modest 3/2 brand new homes.

Old 12-27-2006, 01:30 PM

27 posts, read 112,550 times
jerseys way overpriced for the horrible winters they have up there and the dirty water terrible crime ( Newark camden paterson etc) and beaches, florida is a l ot better but just avoid miami area too expensive too much crime

Old 01-03-2007, 01:15 AM

42 posts, read 122,658 times
There is no comparison between what it costs in NJ vs. FL. Florida is less expensive hands down. I'm from NJ. When I moved here 7 years ago, my taxes in NJ were almost $10,000, my homeowners ins was $600, and I sold my house for over $200,000. That house in NJ that I sold 7 years ago is now on the market for $350,000 and they haven't done a thing to it in 7 years. Now, in FL, when I got here 7 years ago I paid well under $100,000 for my house and it's now worth at least twice what I paid for it. My homeowner's insurance is $1,800 and my taxes are about $600 (with the homestead exemption and Save our Homes) So is FL less expensive than NJ? I sure think so. I had a huge mortgage payment in NJ. In FL, I don't have a mortgage payment. When I say Holiday, FL is one of the best places to live, I am not kidding. I love it here, and I have thrived. I wouldn't change a thing.
Mary

Old 01-03-2007, 08:13 AM

43 posts, read 208,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolidayFL View Post
There is no comparison between what it costs in NJ vs. FL. Florida is less expensive hands down. I'm from NJ. When I moved here 7 years ago, my taxes in NJ were almost $10,000, my homeowners ins was $600, and I sold my house for over $200,000. That house in NJ that I sold 7 years ago is now on the market for $350,000 and they haven't done a thing to it in 7 years. Now, in FL, when I got here 7 years ago I paid well under $100,000 for my house and it's now worth at least twice what I paid for it. My homeowner's insurance is $1,800 and my taxes are about $600 (with the homestead exemption and Save our Homes) So is FL less expensive than NJ? I sure think so. I had a huge mortgage payment in NJ. In FL, I don't have a mortgage payment. When I say Holiday, FL is one of the best places to live, I am not kidding. I love it here, and I have thrived. I wouldn't change a thing.
Mary
I love this post...why? Its a factual comparison of REAL facts. Many, many people complain on this board about taxes, etc... and have zero comparison basis for thier complaints other than "its expensive." Yep... and its expensive everywhere. Comparing apples to apples its not out in left field. I have experience in 2 other states. Both had state income tax, 1 had lower property taxes and a personal property tax (car tax...2% of blue book annually) and the other had property taxes very similar, maybe slightly less than Florida. Seriously folks...most other states have a tax structure that is at best a wash with Florida's property tax. My bet is net/net you wind up better in Florida. Of course, everybody differs some, depending on what factors affect you most (high income, expensive house, expensive cars, etc...).

Old 03-12-2007, 05:25 PM

403 posts, read 1,580,362 times
The NE has more of the small town feel and has less sprawl. Florida has less small town feel and is the leading state in the U.S. in sprawl, Florida grows 300-400 thousand people a year.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:04 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,890,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHBR702 View Post
We were very excited about the idea of relocating from NJ to Florida until I started doing some research and heard that it is very expensive to live in FLA. BUT...what does "very expensive" actually mean? ... in comparison to where? I'd love to hear from someone who owned a home here in NJ and has relocated and purchased a home in FLA within the past year. How do things really stack up as far as home prices, h/o insurance, taxes, auto insurance, salary and cost of living. That would be really helpful!! Thanks!
We moved here from Monmouth County, NJ(yes, the northeast) and bought a house here for half what we sold in NJ. It is not a large house, 1600sq.ft. It does not have a pool , but it is in Oldsmar, which is a nice area with houses from mid-low to high high.Our auto insurance is not as high as NJ which has the highest auto insurance in the country.Our home owners insurance is half what it was there, and we are in a flood zone which makes it higher than others. Cost of living is significantly less than NJ. Hope this gives you an idea of the cost in FL. Feel free to private mail me with any specific questions you might have.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:14 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,890,053 times
Another thought: Tampa has a wide array of areas to live in . Some are not very nice, and some are just fantastic. You can find something new or something old. I disagree with a previous posting about the average price being $120,00. It is much higher than that.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:35 PM

523 posts, read 2,829,465 times
NEw homes in Tampa subdivisions are 1300 sq ft 200 +
You could buy a home in non subdivision older sections maybe seedy area for 120 maybe. RIverview is nice but the prices have jumped, I sold my home
1600 sq ft for 207 with 1 acre in Dec 2004. I see they have it on market for 289. So see how the prices have jumped.
I keep telling everyone I moved to Lakeland because you can still build a brand new home over here in subdivison for 170. and Taxes and Insurance are cheapest county around. ALso near Ocala there are some reasonable home building going on .
But I like middle of state as it does get cooler in northern florida sometimes.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:26 AM

43 posts, read 247,543 times
Hey sunshine, do you know the names of those subdivisions in Lakeland for 170's. I was there visiting parents in 2005 and could not find much in the 170's. Are they in north or south Lakeland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay