Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 08:25 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times

Advertisements

The secret about Lakeland being a good place to buy is getting out - I saw on some website like Money or Forbes that it is one of the top places to buy/invest in a home now because of the low prices. Anyone thinking about this area should act quickly because it will soon catch up to everything else, I'm afraid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 06:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,829 times
Question Florida v. New Hampshire

So this doesn't directly fall within the cata. but it's close. I am unable to chose between the two states Florida and New Hampshire.

Why?
I like Florida but the costs are a little bit higher on somethings, there are very few small businesses, and where I am in Florida (boca raton) people are kind of stuck up. At the same time, I hate the winter in New Hampshire but I love the fall season with halloween and all. I love to go to Salem, MA, but if I live through one more winter I'm going to go insane. Oh and this is a misconception; if you move down south because it's warmer, remember those people live off of AC's and tend to freeze you to death, worse than snow. Currently I'm in Florida for college, but I still cannot decide where to be. I have a home in New Hampshire (for now) and just bought a moblie home in Florida. I have no idea where is better!

Old 10-23-2007, 07:25 PM

199 posts, read 219,975 times
We have family in Nashua, NH so have spent lots of time in NH. We have also lived all over Florida.

It depends on your priorities and your loves. We love tennis, the beach, outdoor exercise, hot weather, palm trees, blue skies. We hate cold, dry skin, colds/flus that last all winter, snow, slush, ice, no leaves on the trees, wearing long pants and coats.

We are willing to take Florida's negatives as the overall benefits work for us. That is a decision you have to make for yourself.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:13 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,712,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leelee View Post
Hi, i have been researching and i am hopefully relocationg to florida from england.
I have researched on the net and if you want to live in Miami, Hollywood or Fort Laudredale, It is quite expensive, if you want a 3/2 house, it will be very expensive in those three cities and maybe Orlando too. If you are searching for Tampa, Bradenton, St. Petersburg, Pensacola, Tallahassee, Jacksonville, Port St. Lucie or Mount Dora it is quite reasonable. I am hoping to relocate to Port St. Lucie, Pensacola or Brandenton and they are very reasonable. Also, Mobile in Alabama a is very cheap city to live in, It is only a couple of miles to Northwest Florida and is really nice.

Here are my Average House prices.

Average house price for a 3 bed house in Miami: 300,000

Average house price for a 3 bed house in Tampa: 120,000

Average house price for a 3 bed house in Mobile: 100,000

So you can see the difference compared to Miami

Hope I have helped, Leelee
I wouldn't pay too much attention to those "averages." I see dumps for sale with asking prices in the $190's and higher.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:48 AM

31 posts, read 111,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalo View Post
I hardly call Jersey the Northeast. Florida and Maine are on a par, cost-wise. MA, southern NH, and CT ane thru the roof relative to non-coastal Florida. But comparing coastal resort Florida to New England the separation of home costs is closer, much closer. Houses on the Amelia Island Plantation south of Fernandina Beach average in the 1.0m range. The average home value in Weston, MA and Lincoln, MA, the wealthiest towns in MA are in the 6-700K range. Taxes are high in MA, but their services are excellent. Schools among the best in the nation and crime is non-existent. And BTW, the percentage of persons with a college degree or higher in Lincoln and Weston is in the 75% range, again the highest in the US. So if you have the dough and like the snow, head to Walden Pond.(area of Lincoln-Concord-Weston-Sudbury). I like both Fernandina and Lincoln, MA. Both are really fine towns.
Explain to me again, how New Jersey is NOT considered the Northeast ??
I live in the northern part of NJ, within 10 miles of NYC. Last I checked, NYC is considered `northeast`..
the cost of housing in the northern NJ area, is astronomical.
5 of the top 20 Richest counties with a population of 250,000 or more, are in the state of NJ: Somerset ( 2nd), Morris (3rd), Monmouth ( 8th), Bergen ( 15th), Middlesex (18th), while Ma. was represented just once, Norfolk (16th), in a cnn rating from 2005:
Western cities richer, counties prosper back East -- survey - Aug. 31, 2005

This is why so many people are trying to leave the state, that , and the nations highest property taxes and growing traffic problems contribute to the mass exodus: some 28,000 people per year leave the state of NJ never to come back...
in a recent survey, 70% go to Florida, 20% go to Pa., and the remaining 10% go to NC.
Mass. has high taxes and for people in NJ, its not a very attractive option to go to Mass. and continue to pay high taxes...we're not going to leave one tax riddled state and head to another.

there's a reason they call it 'Tax-achussetts..'

Old 10-26-2007, 02:35 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,700,078 times
Ok, let me clarify that average house prices in Tampa for a 3 br. is NOT 120,000. If you want a decent home that's a 3 br. and not a run down peice of crap-you are looking at 250,000 and up. Homes in Miami are NOT 300,000 for a 3 br. Infact rent is like 400 more there than here, so I am not sure where you got the info, but it's incorrect...I'm sorry.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:36 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,700,078 times
Oh, one more thing, I have friends and moved people into our apartment community (I am an assistant manager) from Jersey and cost of living is lower, but pay is lower too.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:08 AM

251 posts, read 895,755 times
Those prices in Mobile will get you a tiny house or a dump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glastron_79 View Post
I wouldn't pay too much attention to those "averages." I see dumps for sale with asking prices in the $190's and higher.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,653 times
Any of you folks that have made the move from the "northeast" = are you happy and adjusted to life with out season changes, fall nights and beautiful folliage?

I am in CT and am moving within the next few months - just have to find the right place. I live St. Johns County but have family in Trinity/Tarpon Springs so I am thinking of making the move there for starters. Thoughts? Palm Habrob area nice? want to be near beaches or just beautiful surroundings.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:59 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,364,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sami View Post
A working class home with 2/1/carport in my area of St. Petersburg--similar to Tampa--can START at around $120,000 for a wood house that needs some work. A cement block exterior house in reasonably good condition starts around $145,000. Right now, you may get lucky and get cheaper.... ................ Just buy high and dry and go for cement block AND have window and door protection...... I lived in Puerto Rico and I KNOW about building and hurricanes.
What part of St. Pete are you in? I'm in St. Pete and anything in my area is starting 200-250k+
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay