Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 09:16 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,592,082 times

Advertisements

We had BH when we were in mid-Pinellas and they were OK. I thought the internet was kind of slow, but we didn't have any other problems. I switched to Verizon when they offered me a really low price with no contract and I was very happy with them all around.

We moved into St. Pete the first of this year and we went back to BH because there's no FIOS here yet, which I found really odd, considering it's hardly an outlying area or something. This time I am very unhappy. The "lightning fast internet" feels like dial-up. Half the time the websites won't even load because the connection is so slow. My phone even refuses to dial quite often, which I've never had happen before. And the TV regularly freezes the picture.

I don't want to go with Dish Network because of their ridiculous and far too expensive contract, and on top of that, pay more for Verizon's phone and internet. So I guess I'm stuck waiting for FIOS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 10:14 AM

463 posts, read 1,048,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
We had BH when we were in mid-Pinellas and they were OK. I thought the internet was kind of slow, but we didn't have any other problems. I switched to Verizon when they offered me a really low price with no contract and I was very happy with them all around.

We moved into St. Pete the first of this year and we went back to BH because there's no FIOS here yet, which I found really odd, considering it's hardly an outlying area or something. This time I am very unhappy. The "lightning fast internet" feels like dial-up. Half the time the websites won't even load because the connection is so slow. My phone even refuses to dial quite often, which I've never had happen before. And the TV regularly freezes the picture.

I don't want to go with Dish Network because of their ridiculous and far too expensive contract, and on top of that, pay more for Verizon's phone and internet. So I guess I'm stuck waiting for FIOS.
Unless you have dialup, the sites should load fairly quickly. Search 'speed test' websites and check your connection speeds. They are now 100% accurate measures, but it will give you good figure of what your speed is. Another reason why sites are not loading quickly is malware/spyware/viruses on your machine, or maybe website itself (if it has heavy amount of data/ads.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewas View Post
Unless you have dialup, the sites should load fairly quickly. Search 'speed test' websites and check your connection speeds. They are now 100% accurate measures, but it will give you good figure of what your speed is. Another reason why sites are not loading quickly is malware/spyware/viruses on your machine, or maybe website itself (if it has heavy amount of data/ads.
No viruses here.. I have a Mac. The BH guy actually did a connection speed test and told me it was 100%.

Does dial up even exist any more?

Old 01-21-2011, 11:36 AM

494 posts, read 1,667,206 times
I've found them both to be error prone in billing and after the first year they bump rates. FIOS migrates their DSL customers to the fiber optic plans once installed by adjusting rates. FIOS also tends to rip out all your old phone lines. Whatever hardware either gives you carefully maintain receipts when you return.

I don't really trust either for house alarm and use cell backup. It's almost to the point where we can cut the cord and just use internet for TV since we really only watch news and movies.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
No viruses here.. I have a Mac. The BH guy actually did a connection speed test and told me it was 100%.

Does dial up even exist any more?
Double check never hurt anyone, and i wouldn't trust the company saying that they give you 100% what they saying check it yourself

Old 01-21-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Double check never hurt anyone, and i wouldn't trust the company saying that they give you 100% what they saying check it yourself
OK, I did it and it isn't good. What do I do now? Can Brighthouse increase my speed? I pay for high speed already~ lightening, or whatever they call it.

Liking them less and less.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:19 PM

Talk with customer service and tell that you are getting less than advertised speed. Also if you're getting lighning service (i have it) it has to be wireless modem, anything else means that you don't get what you pay for. My speed tests come back with 42-44mbps down and 4.5-5mbps up. If you don't get that, you have a problem.
The other reason your speed is not as advertised is due to large amount of connections in your area that use a lot of bandwith. Complaining might do something.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:25 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,319,621 times
Find of late, some dropping of internet signal. Could be due in part to local road construction, they are moving wires. Otherwise satisfied but not as good as our service up north in MI with Comcast.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Talk with customer service and tell that you are getting less than advertised speed. Also if you're getting lighning service (i have it) it has to be wireless modem, anything else means that you don't get what you pay for. My speed tests come back with 42-44mbps down and 4.5-5mbps up. If you don't get that, you have a problem.
The other reason your speed is not as advertised is due to large amount of connections in your area that use a lot of bandwith. Complaining might do something.
Thanks, I will call them. I do use a wireless modem, so hopefully they can speed things up!

Old 01-24-2011, 09:50 AM

463 posts, read 1,044,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Cable card and tuning adapter is needed for Tivo...at an added costs. They nickel and dime you to death..don't they?
Ah I see, thanks for the clarification.

Quote:

While being unsure of your level of computer knowledge and maintenance, also keep in mind that if you have a lot of spyware on your PC that will slow down your browsing progress as well. The type of browser you use will also affect load times. Either Firefox or Google Chrome I would recommend over Internet Explorer any day. There are too many loading programs attached with IE that can also keep you bogged down in speed.

But I agree with others that a call to BH would be the route to take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay