Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2011, 02:32 PM

463 posts, read 1,052,665 times

Advertisements

I've been looking for a renters insurance since my old insurance company does not do any business here in Florida. So far it's a slim pickings as very few big companies provide such services. I managed to get quote from Geico and thats about it. On the other hand i read in few places that FL is especially terrible for renters/homeowners insurance, maybe because of all those freaking hurricanes.

Anyway if any of you guys, who rent apartment/condo/house have insurance, could you provide the company, or even better, and independent agent (I can dream can't i?) i would be grateful as this shopping around in an empty store is not really working out for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 03:39 PM

794 posts, read 1,860,464 times
HI tewas, I got my policy through Allstate Floridian Indemnity Company in April of last year. I pay $583 per year which also includes Sink Hole insurance. I am renting a house.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:25 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,606,369 times
I pay $360/year through Geico. We also have auto with them, so I imagine that makes it less. Mine is for a house as well.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:28 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,756,832 times
Its pretty cheap through USAA if you are a gov't employee.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:33 AM

Rez, i'm not government employee, but thanks for the suggestion.
So looks like Geico and All State are the ones deal with renters market. Hopefully all state will answer the e-mail today so i can compare two prices and select the insurance.

One more thing, do you guys have huricanne policy or is it included in basic policy? Since i live in a condo and it's a brick construction i don't think we will get structural damage from the huracane, but i'm more worried about broken window and rain flowing to my place ruining my preciuos stuff .

Thanks for the info

Old 01-12-2011, 07:11 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,606,369 times
I pay a small hurricane premium and it does cover damage from hurricanes. However, there is no flood insurance on my policy. The agent I spoke to told me that if a storm ripped the roof off and it rained in on my stuff, we would be covered. But if storm surge caused damage, we would not be covered under that policy. Geico does not provide flood insurance under renters policies, and I don't know if any other private insurers do or not.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:18 AM

Maggi, Thanks for the details. I do live next to the bay, but it's also a high rise so surge flood does not worry me too muhc, as i'm maybe 30ft or so above sea level. Half of south tampa will be flooded to the brim before i get any water in my apartment. I guess i will need to find a real agent and talk face-to-face with him on whats covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay