U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-17-2011, 08:14 AM

283 posts, read 531,524 times
Default NYC to Tampa

We, me ,my husband and my 2 year old are considering moving to Tampa. Husband is interviewing for a position there. We had considered a position in Chicago suburbs a few weeks back but later decided against it because we did not want any more winters!I'm tired of NYC winters. Now, coming to my questions on Tampa:

We might be moving in Feb. Husband's job will pay him $70000. He will be working full time and I do not work. I need suggestions on the following:
1. is there public transit system available anywhere in tampa?I don't drive much and I managed here in NYC because we have a great subway and MTA system.It took me wherever I wanted to go. I want to be independent in tampa too. Ofcourse, I do plan on starting to drive more frequently but some residential area near stores/grocery etc will be very helpful to me initially so that I can just walk down,should I need anything....which areas do you suggest? what will the rents be like? Now I live in Queens,NY and we pay $1400 for the rent. I am hopeful that the rent will be lower in tampa
2. I'm scared to hell reading abut alligators and snakes..Yikes! I cannot stand them. Are there lizards too inside homes? Hell - I cannot live with so many reptiles/animals close to me. is there any solution to this?
3. I read on some threads that spanish is mandatory for many jobs etc. is this true? We come from some french speaking country
(immigrated to united states few years back)and are conversant in both english and french. I would not want to learn anther language!! Husband's employer is not asking for these language skills but I'm scared that I might have to go throug hit when I start looking for jobs.
4. I may consider furthering on my education and going to graduate school to get a M.A or M.S .Are there any good schools nearby(i know USF) which are within commute distance from tampa area?
5. Finally, I have heard that the summers are brutal. Now, I know that this is a personal preference, some prefer winters and some others like the summer, so how hot does it get and which are the months? I could,unfortunately, not handle NY summers well. I love the fall and spring here.. . Now, I dont know how well I will be able to handle the summer in Tampa but we,my family, prefer summers to the winters. So, I'm expecting that we will manage. Do the electricity bills go sky high in summer?

Ok,guys - thank you for ur time reading this.

please post your opinions,.

Last edited by nehs; 01-17-2011 at 08:29 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 08:23 AM

9,087 posts, read 8,523,311 times
I'm going to recommend visiting the Hillsborough Transit website to see what the bus lines are like. You might even consider St Pete, downtown area where the buses are very good, and there's a USF campus in the heart of the area.

I only see alligators on the golf course ponds or Busch gardens. You see a garder snake once-in-awhile, but if you stay in civilization, you'll be safe. Keep your doors closed to lanais and patios/balconies.

Spanish isn't a requirement but is appreciated by Spanish speaking folks - like in health care. Not a requirement. Probably would get you hired quicker if you have that skill.

If you don't consider downtown St Pete - consider Harbour Island near Channelside. Might find a good social network of friends in that area -

Old 01-17-2011, 09:32 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,308,488 times
You will find public transportation very much lacking. I grew up in NYC and know what you are talking about. Tampa has pitiful transportation. I would recommend getting a car for yourself. It will be very difficult to bring your 2 year old to go shopping, playground, doctors, etc. Unless you can find what you are looking for around the limited bus schedules and routes. In the summer, it rains in mid afternoon, so you may find yourself walking in the pouring rain and lightening storms.

There are alligators in almost all small bodies of waters. There are many recession ponds that is home to turtles, fish, frogs and alligators. However, I have lived here for 6 years. I see them at a distance. I would not worry about them. I would advise you not to let your dog or child near the waters edge. I have seen a few snakes. I was bit by a nonpoisonous snake once. No big deal, just grateful it wasn't poisonous. Just be careful around bushes, stacked wood, etc. We have tons of frogs and tiny lizards. I do see them occasionally inside the house. They are harmless. Sometimes, I see an occasional palmetto bug. Those are roaches on steroids! YUCK! You will need an exterminator. Part of life in Florida.

I have been looking for work in the medical field. Many doctors offices do require bilingual. Other than that, it isn't necessary to know Spanish.

Summers are hot and humid. Imagine NYC at 95 degrees every day and more humid for 6 months. That is Tampa from May to October. It is in the mid to upper 80's from March to April then November. The remainder of the time, it is glorious. You do get use to it. It took me 4 years. However, most people say it takes 2 years.

Electric is high, but it depends how cool you are going to keep it. You may keep it cooler until you get use to the heat.

Rent, depends on where you end up. If you live downtown Tampa, you probably won't get much for $1,400. I live in the New Tampa area Bruce B. Downs Blvd and I-75 area. You can get a really nice place for less than $1,400. I would advise you to rent and not buy. You don't want to be stuck with a house/condo and cannot sell it if you end up hating it here. My husband was born and raised in Queens. He hates Tampa. I grew up in Brooklyn/Manhattan/The Bronx. I have gotten use to it here.

You did not mention education. You won't get a great education here. If you send your child to private school, do a lot of research and pick very wisely. Paying for education does not guarantee you a better education. Good luck! I hope you love living here. There are a lot of good things about living here like year round activities. It isn't NYC, but you can make your own happiness.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:00 AM

9,087 posts, read 8,523,311 times
Florida schools ranked No. 5 in U.S., according to Education Week - St. Petersburg Times

Old 01-17-2011, 12:17 PM

5,453 posts, read 3,468,887 times
Electric in the winter, this month $433 and we froze our butts off...as soon as temps go under 40's, which they did, the AC is useless! summers are generally around $260 (on a 2600sqf house)...the homes here cool faster and the ACs are meant to keep them that way.

Summer heat will keep you indoors, not the "heat" necessarily, but the 100% Humidity associated with it year round, we get a break for a few days and that's that!

I have to laugh, (I am sorry) when I hear questions on Public Transit, the idea of living in a suburb and have that available is non existent...none of the suburbs are walkable to a grocery store, this has been my main issue with Tampa/Florida for 10 years now, we can't wait to get away from here...sure if you can afford some areas in South Tampa, you may be able to "walk" to a store...but the walk back, in the heat, or rain won't be fun.

Public Transit covers the ares around down town, and are generally ridden by the homeless, you won't catch any "business" ppl riding them! the lines that go north of there don't serve the suburbs because there are NO connections in place from the suburbs (some 4, 5 miles) to the bus station...so as far as that is concerned you will be SOL if you had to depend on it. Sadly. Distances between things is what causes that and the fact that people won't increase taxes here to support a valid transit system.

$1400 will have you far far away on a pasture...a car is a must here, please don't fool yourself thinking you'll manage with the bus.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:20 PM

1,318 posts, read 610,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Electric in the winter, this month $433 and we froze our butts off...as soon as temps go under 40's, which they did, the AC is useless! summers are generally around $260 (on a 2600sqf house)...the homes here cool faster and the ACs are meant to keep them that way.

Summer heat will keep you indoors, not the "heat" necessarily, but the 100% Humidity associated with it that doesn't really go away year round, maybe a day or so and it's back...

I have to laugh, (I am sorry) when I hear questions on Public Transit, the idea of living in a suburb and have that available is non existent...none of the suburbs are walkable to a grocery store, this has been my main issue with Tampa/Florida for 10 years now, we can't wait to get away from here...sure if you can afford some areas in South Tampa, you may be able to "walk" to a store...but the walk back, in the heat, or rain won't be fun.

Public Transit covers the ares around down town, and are generally ridden by the homeless, you won't catch any "business" ppl riding them! the lines that go north of there don't serve the suburbs because there are NO connections in place from the suburbs (some 4, 5 miles) to the bus station...so as far as that is concerned you will be SOL if you had to depend on it. Sadly. Distances between things is what causes that and the fact that people won't increase taxes here to support a valid transit system.

$1400 will have you far far away on a pasture...a car is a must here, please don't fool yourself thinking you'll manage with the bus.

Nonsense. $1400 rent in tampa will get you a lot.

Nonsense. I haven't even turned my heat on yet this winter.

True. Public transportation sucks.

True. Algia complains about everything.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:39 PM

TAMPA, FL 33629 Rental Houses - Homes for Rent in 33629 - Realtor.com®

Tampa, FL Homes for Rent - Rentals in Tampa - Realtor.com®

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
Nonsense. $1400 rent in tampa will get you a lot.

Nonsense. I haven't even turned my heat on yet this winter.

True. Public transportation sucks.

True. Algia complains about everything.
Not true...relaying the facts of living in the damn suburbs!
You live in South Tampa.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:40 PM

283 posts, read 531,524 times
Bucfan,annaegel,algia and craigm - thank you for pouring ur inputs. really appreciate it.

bucfan - I did check the Hillsborough transit system but could not understand much because I am not familiar with the areas.Thank fully, I'm not into health care or tourism industry. hope that keeps spanish a non-requirement for my jobs! I did take a look at the link that you posted on schools. I actually did not mention about schools in my post because I assumed that we have decent schools for kids in the tampa area.

annaegel - I know that I"ll be missing the NYC transit... sad sad!! But, I'm glad that I will not be seeing snow again. It is terrible to deal with it on a regualar basis in the winters. I will have to get a car for myself but untill we save some money for that, I was looking to use the bus/public transport . It might take us a few months before we can afford two cars. Yuck - frogs and tiny lizards - I hate them both. But, I guess I have to learn to deal with it!

algia - We are looking at houses that are around 1000sqft. So, my electric should hopefully be lower than what you mention. I'm surprised that $1400 will npot land me a decent apartment. we are looking at 2 BR apartments,nothing more than that.

craigm - I thought so too,that $1400 should get me a 2 Br or may be, 3 BR home.. I don't care about the winters in Fl because I am sure me and my family can manage it,since NYC gets a lot lot colder.

Friends, keep the posts coming ; I'm still reading :-) .

I spoke to a friend who use to live in tampa and has now relocated to Orlando. She says that Brandon is a good place to live with lot of stores/kids' stuff nearby(within walking distance). Any take on that?
Thank You.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:45 PM

1,318 posts, read 610,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehs View Post
Bucfan,annaegel,algia and craigm - thank you for pouring ur inputs. really appreciate it.

bucfan - I did check the Hillsborough transit system but could not understand much because I am not familiar with the areas.Thank fully, I'm not into health care or tourism industry. hope that keeps spanish a non-requirement for my jobs! I did take a look at the link that you posted on schools. I actually did not mention about schools in my post because I assumed that we have decent schools for kids in the tampa area.

annaegel - I know that I"ll be missing the NYC transit... sad sad!! But, I'm glad that I will not be seeing snow again. It is terrible to deal with it on a regualar basis in the winters. I will have to get a car for myself but untill we save some money for that, I was looking to use the bus/public transport . It might take us a few months before we can afford two cars. Yuck - frogs and tiny lizards - I hate them both. But, I guess I have to learn to deal with it!

algia - We are looking at houses that are around 1000sqft. So, my electric should hopefully be lower than what you mention. I'm surprised that $1400 will npot land me a decent apartment. we are looking at 2 BR apartments,nothing more than that.

craigm - I thought so too,that $1400 should get me a 2 Br or may be, 3 BR home.. I don't care about the winters in Fl because I am sure me and my family can manage it,since NYC gets a lot lot colder.

Friends, keep the posts coming ; I'm still reading :-) .

I spoke to a friend who use to live in tampa and has now relocated to Orlando. She says that Brandon is a good place to live with lot of stores/kids' stuff nearby(within walking distance). Any take on that?
Thank You.
I had a 2 bed 2.5 bath WITH a loft, about 1500 sq feet, for $1400 a month in a great location in a BRAND NEW community, which is one of the nicest apartment communities in the bay area, in a phenomenal location. I still live here, just in a 1/1.5 now.

DO NOT MOVE TO BRANDON. I lived there for a year and HATED it. I did however have a 2 bed/2 bath with 1 car attached garage in a nice community for less than $1200 a month.

$1400 for rent will go a long way in south tampa, contrary to what algia says.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:47 PM

Here's from rent.com

Sorry, you said you were looking to pay less than $1400 and didn't specify on what (house/apt/condo etc)...see link below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehs View Post
Rent.com: Search Results
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay