U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2011, 01:22 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,867,630 times

Advertisements

You are going to have to run the AC. I run my AC year round, I will turn on the heat for a few days here and there. I rarely open my windows and I LOVE having my windows open.

AC is a neccessity if you dont want to feel like you are camping.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 04:52 PM

2,542 posts, read 3,620,080 times
many of the elders use "Damp rid". Or just run the ac when it's over 78 to 80 degrees.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:04 PM

2,187 posts, read 6,827,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
You may try putting damp rid in closets (you get it in hanger/laundry supply section in a store like Target or Wal-Mart) as well so that mold can't grow. You have to empty it pretty frequently but it helped when I lived in an apartment with a humidity issue. Good Luck!
You can probably get multi-packs of it at Home Depot or Lowes. I would start with one and then go from there. I have found it to be a good solution for an apartment because frankly after I moved from my apartment, I never had the issue again and buying any machines or more effective long-term solutions just weren't cost effective. I made sure to do a walk-through and take pictures with the apartment staff to cover my butt should they try to blame anything on me. Always good to have that insurance with apartments on anything because they will find any reason to charge you fees after you move out!

Old 10-03-2011, 08:21 AM

2 posts, read 4,206 times
Still having problems?

Open the windows as much as possible to get better indoor air quality.
Check your air conditioning unit and vents.

Maybe give the place a good thorough cleaning to get rid of any mold spores hanging out in the dark corners.

Check for mold in the cabinets and the tile flooring if you have it.

Also look around the base of the apartment building. If you see mold, it could have creeped into your apartment.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:36 AM

34,356 posts, read 41,427,648 times
Not sure why you are getting so much humidity that your clothes are wet and mold is becoming a problem, you might want to call in a professional as something other than the heat may be the cause of the problem..
Dehumidifiers come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes
dehumidifier - Google Search

Old 06-25-2014, 10:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,034 times
I learned some people use rock salt to absorb moisture. When it has absorbed to the max, replace. The apartment I just moved into is quite damp too. I was curious enough to buy a humidity gauge when started climbing as soon as I put in the battery. It fluctuates around 68% to 74% with temperature varying 68 to 72 degrees. Device's instructions show 30% to 50% as being a comfortable range for indoor humidity so I'm wondering if something is wrong with the air conditioner. The manager seemed peeved when I mentioned the problem. So for now I'm am planning to get a dehumidifier. Interestingly enough there is absolutely no sign of mold anywhere in the apartment.

Old 03-17-2017, 03:56 AM

1 posts, read 836 times
All I want to say is Thank U to all u people trying to help with this "damp issue" ... Ive been my small 1 bdrm apt for almost 5 mos now and not one other apt or house Ive lived in has had this problem .. I kid u not, I seriously thought I was losing my mind - or that I had a ghost -Ha- But it really is not funny at all when a person has to deal with this (which I am) .. And when I told my apt manager, she said that no other tenant had complained about this & I live in a very big apt community so I thought that was weird in itself It' s a unique experience that, until u have gone thru it, u wouldnt understand .. It litterly affects your day to day living experience .. And for the rent I pay, I just should not be having to worry about if when I go to bed are my sheets and blankets gonna be too wet to sleep in or have to lay on a damp pillow/pillow case .. Ok I said my peace for now ... Good luck to everyone out there including me !

Old 03-17-2017, 05:52 AM

4,811 posts, read 5,358,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetinFresno View Post
All I want to say is Thank U to all u people trying to help with this "damp issue" ... Ive been my small 1 bdrm apt for almost 5 mos now and not one other apt or house Ive lived in has had this problem .. I kid u not, I seriously thought I was losing my mind - or that I had a ghost -Ha- But it really is not funny at all when a person has to deal with this (which I am) .. And when I told my apt manager, she said that no other tenant had complained about this & I live in a very big apt community so I thought that was weird in itself It' s a unique experience that, until u have gone thru it, u wouldnt understand .. It litterly affects your day to day living experience .. And for the rent I pay, I just should not be having to worry about if when I go to bed are my sheets and blankets gonna be too wet to sleep in or have to lay on a damp pillow/pillow case .. Ok I said my peace for now ... Good luck to everyone out there including me !
What do you have your a/c set at?

Old 03-17-2017, 06:00 AM
KPB

1,434 posts, read 922,379 times
It does seem like the humidity/moisture level is oddly high. You can buy a temperature/hygrometer in Lowes or Home Depot for around $10, they are usually outside in the lawn and garden dept. It measures the humidity and temp of wherever you place it.

I'd also buy a dehumidifier. There are 2 kinds, one runs continuously w/ a small hose you put down a drain like the sink, washer drain, etc. The other type has a built in reservoir that shuts the thing off when its full until you empty it (daily). I've seen these type actually do more damage if the float switch stops worlking and it overfills and just keeps running, then you'll have a small flood in your home. I would get the kind that you just stick the drain hose down a drain and not worry about it.

Something doesn't sound rite though for the moisture to be that high. Do you live near the water? If not I'd look into why its so high, like a leak in the building somewhere.

Old 03-17-2017, 06:03 AM
KPB

1,434 posts, read 922,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
What do you have your a/c set at?
She said above he keeps it off and windows shut which creates like a greenhouse effect but it still seems kinda high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or