Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 08:18 AM

216 posts, read 701,289 times

Advertisements

Well I lived a few years down in West Palm Beach. I loved it. Had a lot of fun there. But now have a family to think about. I had problems at work (they did not like to pay me what I earned). Well we decided to move to TN to be near my fiances family. That is not working out so well. So in Nov when the lease on our house is up we are leaving. I have an opportunity to move to NC, Charlotte area, near my family but we both really miss FL, miss the beaches especially. So we are thinking of maybe Northern FL. The Tampa area sems to fit the bill well.
Seems like Land O Lakes is a great area to look into. Are there are some other areas I should look into? I would work in Tampa (thats where the car dealer is) and would like to be within a 45 min drive from there. I have 2 kids so an area that is family oriented and great schools is a definate.
Also can anyone give me an idea on how much to expect to pay for bills? Electric, water, cable, gas (is they use gas, here in TN everyone does). I am trying to figure out what my monthly bills would be so I can negotiate pay.
Thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 01:19 PM

58 posts, read 254,687 times
What part of "Tampa" will you be working? There are many car dealers on Dale Mabry. If there, LOL, Carrollwood, and Westchase are good possibilities for families. There are also a lot of dealers along HWY 60 in Tampa (but right near the Brandon/Tampa line). If that is the case, Brandon, Valrico, Lithia, and Riverview are all family oriented. South Tampa is nice and accessible to everyone, but many (not all but many) would argue that the 'burbs are more family oriented. Either way, location is key.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:23 PM

10 posts, read 26,348 times
I like Lithia. Look up Fish Hawk ranch's web site. Very family oriented. I am renting a 3 bed two bath for 1300 a month, water runs 39.00, electric and gas were maybe 100.00 cable tv/computer 79.00, not too bad if you ask me. Of couse we are getting a good deal, many people rent for a bit more. 1500 or so. I feel like we got lucky. We are renting until our house sells in WPB. Good luck. We enjoy the pools and look forward to the girls going to school here.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:45 PM

One dealer is on 11333 Florida Ave in Tampa the other is on US hwy 19 in Palm Harbor. Seems Land O Lakes is 30 miles from Palm harbor, I heard it is a real nice area. Id like a nice "burb" setting, lil more laid back. Thanks all

Old 07-18-2007, 04:03 PM

471 posts, read 1,660,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal329 View Post
One dealer is on 11333 Florida Ave in Tampa the other is on US hwy 19 in Palm Harbor. Seems Land O Lakes is 30 miles from Palm harbor, I heard it is a real nice area. Id like a nice "burb" setting, lil more laid back. Thanks all
FWIW, if you would be working in Palm Harbor, you should consider living there or one of the many nice surrounding communities. Why commute 30 miles? Plus, you are closer to the beaches.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariad View Post
FWIW, if you would be working in Palm Harbor, you should consider living there or one of the many nice surrounding communities. Why commute 30 miles? Plus, you are closer to the beaches.
Lol... I know nothin about North FL. I know all bout S FL. I am not sure all what areas to look into. So I figured anywhere within 45 min commute will be fine. If Palm Harbor is a good family area I def will look into it. The only areas I know a lil bout is Land O Lake, Tampa itself and Bradenton. Once again thanks all I really apprieciate all the help.
Any websites I can check out to get an idea of what monthly expenses will run?

Old 07-18-2007, 07:41 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,608,493 times
If you're going to be working at BOTH locations, consider looking at the Carrollwood area or Lutz/Land O Lakes in the Dale Mabry/Hwy 41/Hwy 54 area. Both are family oriented and offer alternate routes to both Florida Ave/downtown and to Palm Harbor. If you'll be working mainly at the Palm Harbor site, forget Lutz/LOL - Oldsmar and Odessa are closer and just as nice. Palm Harbor or New Port Richey are also good alternatives for the Palm Harbor dealership, and you can find some good rental rates in New Port Richey. Palm Harbor & New Port Richey are on the west side of Pinellas County, on the Gulf, north part of the county. Oldsmar and Odessa are east, inland, and in spots cross the Pasco/Pinellas County lines.

Another option if you'll be traveling between both dealerships is Safety Harbor, on the east side of Pinellas County, on Tampa Bay. You can zip over to McMullen Booth and avoid much of the Hwy 19 congestion, to get to Palm Harbor.

If you're going to rent, check out Craigslist Tampa for ideas on rentals.

I'm in a 2-bedrm mobile home with bulk rate from Progress Energy, my electric runs about $50 winter and $90-$120 summer (just me & the cat). Water runs about $40, but I don't have a lawn to water. Cable/internet with Brighthouse is $89, that's roadrunner and all non-premium cable channels.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:46 PM

Ah ah, your Florida Ave dealership is just off Fowler & I-275. You might also look at the New Tampa and Wesley Chapel areas. You can get some excellent rental rates out that way right now, on townhomes. BUT - traffic will be horrid from here to the Palm Harbor location. If you'll spend most of your time at the Florida Ave location, this area would be worth the occasional lengthy drive to Palm Harbor.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:48 PM

471 posts, read 1,660,434 times
Well, I was confused because I thought it would be either/or, not traveling between two dealerships.
I agree with Safety Harbor as being a good location if you are traveling between both, but there is not really much difference geographically between Oldsmar, Safety Harbor, Palm Harbor, Countryside and Dunedin areas that are close to McMullen Booth.(a matter of minutes). And all have desirable family neighborhoods and the same school choices.(if I have been informed correctly).
These areas would also be the closest to the beaches which you mentioned that you miss.

If it is only/primarily the Fl. ave. location, then there are locations, as mentioned, that woud be a shorter commute. Other than Westchase, I'm not that familar with the close Tampa suburbs.
I am familiar with Trinity, LOL, and Odessa. Trinity is tolerable,but I don't find these communities appealing at all. Others love them. ymmv.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:40 AM

BTW sal329, Tampa is considered central Florida, not north Florida. If you're wanting North Florida, the Ft Walton Beach/Destin area is nice and car dealerships seem to do well up there. Population is much smaller, traffic is as bad, cost of living is about the same and you'd be closer to the beaches (the MOST gorgeous beaches in the country are up there!). However, pay is much lower due to the captive labor market (4 huge military bases within 200 miles of each other).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay