U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 05:24 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,132,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by law enforcement View Post
What are anyones thoughts about part time jobs in the area. Something to keep busy and make a few extra bucks.
Brand new hospital in the area - probably needs some security folks - maybe there's a part time job for you.

St. Joseph's Hospital-South
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 02:40 PM

Search Results - SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment Careers - Jobs at SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, and Sesame Place

Old 07-02-2015, 07:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,715 times
My wife and I have been to Valencia Lakes, looked around and talked to the sales people… we walked by what would best be described as the "extras" Dept. (where you can get property near the water or hard wood floors etc.). What can we expect when we walk in(we plan to buy in about a year). How much more will I end up paying. I'd be interested in knowing your experiences and the sales pitch you got for extras,

Thanks,
Craig
(in Nashville)

Old 07-05-2015, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,674 times
Default Thinking about buying a villa at Valencia Lakes

7/5/2015

Greetings

I would welcome anybody's feedback regarding the quality of the villas at Valencia Lakes. I read the postings from 2009-2013 but would like to hear from people currently living there.

I am considering to buy a villa. It was not my preference but that is what I can afford. But my concern is that HOA fees for the villas are now at $435 a month. That is an annual $5,220 that I would have to budget in addition to the mortgage payment and other fees. I am going to retire with half of my current salary and I feel afraid it may be too expensive. Are there other 55+ properties around that are less expensive?.

I am also concerned about the noise one could hear from the other villa neighbors. I read that someone could hear the neighbor's television. That is not good.

Also, how secure is the area? I read someone said to avoid purchasing a property close to 301. Please tell me about the crime and theft rates.

Is it worth to pay 8,000 over the price of the property in order to have a lake view? How about mosquitoes and other insects? Are there a lot of them? Is there a difference between properties with lake view and those with just a greenery view?

Thanks for all your help. Lirito

Old 07-05-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lirito View Post
7/5/2015

Greetings

I would welcome anybody's feedback regarding the quality of the villas at Valencia Lakes. I read the postings from 2009-2013 but would like to hear from people currently living there.

I am considering to buy a villa. It was not my preference but that is what I can afford. But my concern is that HOA fees for the villas are now at $435 a month. That is an annual $5,220 that I would have to budget in addition to the mortgage payment and other fees. I am going to retire with half of my current salary and I feel afraid it may be too expensive. Are there other 55+ properties around that are less expensive?.

I am also concerned about the noise one could hear from the other villa neighbors. I read that someone could hear the neighbor's television. That is not good.

Also, how secure is the area? I read someone said to avoid purchasing a property close to 301. Please tell me about the crime and theft rates.

Is it worth to pay 8,000 over the price of the property in order to have a lake view? How about mosquitoes and other insects? Are there a lot of them? Is there a difference between properties with lake view and those with just a greenery view?

Thanks for all your help. Lirito

$435 seems steep. It has been about that since I moved here six years ago, so there hasn't been a dramatic increase in the rate. I think it was $400 when I bought, but since then they've added 24 hour gated security and that takes money to provide.

Approx $80-90 of that HOA fee covers the external unit insurance that you'd otherwise have to provide. Also covered is alarm, maintenance, pressure washing of the build's sides/sidewalks/drive annually, basic cable coverage ($25), external lawn maintenance and watering (can be costly if you provide on your own). Now I also look at the price it would cost me to be a member of a tennis club ($60/month) - I used our Hard Tru courts almost daily. The amenities I use daily would cost me a fair amount of money as well (fitness center, lap swimming pool). Here I have it 2 mins walk from my home. The community has beautiful infrastructure, lakes (if you like to fish), running, walking paths - and is just a beautiful place to live. You get what you pay for in my opinion. The community has a beautiful softball field, dog park, garden club, beautiful clubhouse, and a variety of social groups -

You could settle for other communities without the amenities and pay less (I haven't priced South Shore Falls Southshore Falls | Apollo Beach, FL | 55 Places Retirement Communities) but they may have a similar HOA as ours.

Mira Bay is very nice, isn't age restricted but hast CDD and I believe requires flood insurance. Nearby Sun City Center might be suited for your, but I believe their communities have a similar HOA structure. It really depends on what's important to you.

Our area doesn't have a lot of crime in the community- if anything some pretty crime in the general area has occurred - always wise to keep the doors locked anyway, no matter where you live. Some cars have been broken into I believe a couple of years ago. Wimauma and Riverview are nearby and those areas do have an increased rate of crime - but that doesn't seem to bleed into our community.

Noise from other villa - occasionally due to the elderly neighbor with hearing problems - I've asked folks if they hear their neighbor and most if not all have said no (Only I have heard it on occasion). I'm hypersensitive to those thing though.

Waterview vs conservation lot? Personal preference. I think having the water view improves re-sale value. Some conservation lots have a nicer view than others. I find the water views boring unless you're on the big lake where there's a lot of look at including the fountain - but those homes are in the $400-500k range.

The quality of most of the residents here is very high - most were successful professionals in their career fields and make great neighbors to interact with.

I'm not going to sell you on VL - it's not for everyone. The HOA scares folks off - and it should. The community is considered upper scale and not everyone's budget can afford it. The link I provided above gives you examples of other 55+ communities in the area that you might investigate.

The location of this community is very convenient for the things I enjoy. I go to ST Petersburg for events all the time as well as downtown Tampa, Bradenton, and Sarasota - as well as the airport. All are about 30-45 mins away - and we're centrally located to all of these cities -

Old 07-05-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig267 View Post
My wife and I have been to Valencia Lakes, looked around and talked to the sales people… we walked by what would best be described as the "extras" Dept. (where you can get property near the water or hard wood floors etc.). What can we expect when we walk in(we plan to buy in about a year). How much more will I end up paying. I'd be interested in knowing your experiences and the sales pitch you got for extras,

Thanks,
Craig
(in Nashville)
Can't help you there - I bought builder specs - I also purchased during the market crisis so it was a buyer's market at the time - now the real estate market has recovered and the seller seems to have the upper hand.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:17 AM

11 posts, read 17,701 times
Does anyone have the name of a good pet sitter in Valencia Lakes?

Old 08-26-2015, 05:55 PM

if you live there, join the community's neighborhood Nextdoor.com site and get a recommendation there - there are many available.....visit the clubhouse for the handout on how to join.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,082 times
Anyone know if Valencia Lakes is Gay Friendly or has some gay people already living in the community? We are a male couple looking to purchase there.

Old 09-17-2016, 02:37 PM

336 posts, read 392,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonootz View Post
Anyone know if Valencia Lakes is Gay Friendly or has some gay people already living in the community? We are a male couple looking to purchase there.

My husband and I live nearby, and think that almost everyone I came in contact with in the area is gay friendly. I don't know if there are any gay residents there, but I would think so. The area is conservative as compared to downtown Tampa or St. Pete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay