Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 08:06 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,746,228 times

Advertisements

Can someone that knows the Tampa area tell me about the area of Bruce Down Blvd. and I75? I'm considering a rental unit there until I purchase a home in the Tampa area, but I don't know the areas. Is this okay? What can you tell me? Any area of Tampa that we should stay away from?

Also, what about the area around St. Joseph's Hospital? Is it nice or not a good place to temporarily stay? I have to little kids and I don't want to blindly take them to a dangerous neighborhood.

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2006, 09:08 AM

19 posts, read 66,188 times
Depends on where your coming from and what you consider dangerous?
We moved here 11 yrs ago from NJ and wouldn't live in Tampa if you paid me, there are nice areas around Tampa.
Was just there Sat for the game and was shocked at HOW many homes have bars on the windows

Old 08-22-2006, 09:53 AM

13 posts, read 46,426 times
Bruce B. Downs Blvd. & I-75 is not a bad area, it is actually quite nice. Lots of shopping & restaurants in the area 20 theatre movie plex. That is the very desirable area called "New Tampa". Schools are good.

Old 08-22-2006, 10:06 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
Traffic is awful on Bruce B. Downs during both rush hours, and on Friday & Saturday nights.

Old 08-22-2006, 10:09 AM

1,130 posts, read 1,572,640 times
I wouldn't live in Tampa either. JMHO...
Crowded and lots of problems in certain areas. Stay away from Tampa.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:59 AM

34 posts, read 136,177 times
I live in tampa and think it is great...... As for the bruce b downs intersection you are refering to. It is nice up there, safe and such, but the traffice is HORRID!!!!!! South Tampa is nice and would be a decent commute. But the prices are expensive. Westchase is beautiful and would be an okay commute to St. Josephs. (better than bruce b downs) If you don't mind driving Bruce b downs will work great for your needs.

As for the bars on the window. There is a lot of spanish in tampa/florida, they do this for the look. (my father in law put some up and he isn't even in tampa (matter of fact his home is valued at 900 thousand, so no neighborhood that needs bars, I was making fun of him, it is seems to be a sort of a spanish thing!) He is cuban. My neighbors put them up for this reason also. They are incredibly dangerous for fires, so definatly wouldn't recommend them for any reason. I personally thought it was a safety thing also, but have learned otherwise since moving to tampa. (although I am certain some houses put them up for this reason, but some think they are pretty and add to the home?????? Obviously all of our taste are diffrent!)

Hmmmmm getting back to the question at hand. I am actually right by the hospital. (on the river there) Our neighborhood is nice, if you are looking to rent, I would NOT rent any of the apartments in the area. (I managed 3 of them in the past.... so know first hand) But for a rental house. Wellswood right by tampa catholic is a pretty good neighborhood! I can't think of any more right by the hospital that I would live in, this is where our home is and we have been pleased. (my kids go to private school though, so not sure about the schools.)

Hopefully I helped a little.

Rebecca

Old 08-22-2006, 12:17 PM

Thanks for all the great responses, it's a big help and I appreciate it!

Old 08-22-2006, 12:18 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,572,640 times
Putting bars on the windows for looks? Yuck. I think it looks horrible.
JMHO

Old 08-22-2006, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboosmom View Post
Putting bars on the windows for looks? Yuck. I think it looks horrible.
JMHO
I second that motion, I don't think there's anything nice about them. They just immediately make me think it must be an unsafe neighbhorhood.

Old 08-22-2006, 03:02 PM

28 posts, read 205,923 times
Moved to the Tampa area two years ago. Looked at plenty of developements and never saw homes with "bars on the window". While there may be some homes somewhere that way we never saw them and trying to give the impression that it's common is a crock!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay