U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2011, 04:42 PM

2 posts, read 7,124 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any feedback about the Juniper Road/Pampa Road area of Port Richey? Considering a home there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 04:55 PM

824 posts, read 2,543,334 times
Older homes. The area is just to the north of the Wyndtree Apartments, which houses low income and Section 8 tenants. Not sure if they still do it, but they used to take in clients from the local rehab/ mental evaluation facility called the Harbors and give them housing. There used to be a lot of drugs, fights, and criminal activity at those apartments. The rest of the area is industrial, so there isn't much else. It's pretty congested, since one of the busiest intersections in the county, Ridge Rd. and US19, is right in your backyard. Check out Google Maps' satellite view of the area to give you a better idea. If the house is on Juniper I'd say you're better off. Pampa runs off Date Palm, which is a nasty street, and backs right up to those apartments I was telling you about. The hauling place to the west is just an eyesore if it's in your backyard. But the neighborhood is older, not kept up as well, and it depends on where you are coming from if that would be considered a "step up".

Old 08-24-2011, 06:07 PM

13,645 posts, read 9,309,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
Older homes. The area is just to the north of the Wyndtree Apartments, which houses low income and Section 8 tenants. Not sure if they still do it, but they used to take in clients from the local rehab/ mental evaluation facility called the Harbors and give them housing. There used to be a lot of drugs, fights, and criminal activity at those apartments. The rest of the area is industrial, so there isn't much else. It's pretty congested, since one of the busiest intersections in the county, Ridge Rd. and US19, is right in your backyard. Check out Google Maps' satellite view of the area to give you a better idea. If the house is on Juniper I'd say you're better off. Pampa runs off Date Palm, which is a nasty street, and backs right up to those apartments I was telling you about. The hauling place to the west is just an eyesore if it's in your backyard. But the neighborhood is older, not kept up as well, and it depends on where you are coming from if that would be considered a "step up".
Not a area i would wanna buy in.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:01 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,790,764 times
Pasco is the only county I can think of where the neighborhoods get worse the closer you are to the coast. There are a few exceptions.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:45 AM

115 posts, read 178,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjny2066 View Post
Does anyone have any feedback about the Juniper Road/Pampa Road area of Port Richey? Considering a home there.
I got a house on Velvet Dr, and let me start by saying the worst thing I have seen is some crappy looking yards, but you can call and report them if there is junk in the yard. Directly across the street is a baptist preacher and his wife in their 70's, Next door on my left is a kinda slutty looking single mom in her 20's, and on my right is a couple in their 40's. I am a single dad in his 30's with custody of a 6 year old girl,so the slutty single mom could be ok and the rest are nice people.My daughter attends a private school, so I couldn't speak on the public schools. Those that say this area is so terrible, need to go to Atlanta. You don't know terrible, if you think this is terrible. I like the neighborhood. I think it has character. Some good people some bad, but give me any neighborhood that doesn't contain Judgmental RX300 driving yuppies who drink wine to look cool, and look down their nose at anyone who isn't as fortunate at themselves.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:24 PM

25,877 posts, read 39,135,773 times
There are areas that are improving due to Affordable Housing is buying up foreclosed homes and short sales and fix them and put them up for sale for people who join that program and can buy a home with only $ 500 or $ 1250 down payment.

They will now buy up homes in the area of Moog (Colonial Manor in New Port Richey) to improve that area.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:25 PM

824 posts, read 2,543,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicomis View Post
I am a single dad in his 30's with custody of a 6 year old girl,so the slutty single mom could be ok
hahaha...awesome.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:39 PM

4 posts, read 9,690 times
I grew up living in low income projects in a ghetto in Brooklyn, NY for 21 years and have never seen as much crime until I lived in New Port Richey off of 19. Flashing lights all the time and had to be afraid to leave my house for fear of coming home to an empty one. Druggies and dealers abound. People tearing up abandoned houses or squatting in them. Drug addicted prostitutes for the taking on the streets along U.S. 19 at all hours, etc. I think the problem is not just the local area, but the state justice system as these people are shoved through a revolving door right back out into the same situation they were in. No significant time served, no counseling, no rehab, etc. The terrible job situation due to the economy also does not help either and adds to the problems mentioned above.

Yes, houses are very cheap here now, but who the hell wants one at any price when you have to be afraid to live in them or leave them to even go to a doctor's appointment or to go shopping...They are worthless pieces of cement block with high HOI which is going much higher in the near future, high electric bills just to keep it halfway comfortable during the summer months, especially if it is an older, uninsulated box home and super duper sized palmetto bugs and palm size spiders everywhere. Oh, I almost forgot those red ants who literally run after your feet and jump on them and bite if you are anywhere near their nests. Those bites itch for months even when scabbed over. If you have small children who play outdoors, they can be a very big problem. Even if you find a nice home on what seems to be a "nice street", you never know who your neighbors will end up being as homes are being abandoned and foreclosed on all the time and either boarded up and broken into for the wiring, etc, or rented out by HUD or investors to undesirables who bring other undesirables to "hangout" right next to you or across the street watching your "comings and goings". I have seen my neighborhood change drastically in a matter of 6 short months. HUD and the investors are only making the neighborhoods worse by renting or selling to people who economically should not be in that home and cannot afford to care for it properly which brings the whole street down in value. Overflowing green swimming pools in these empty houses bring the mosquitos and Lord knows what else to nearby residents.

For those people who own small dogs, you have to also beware of the "Bufo Toads" which can literally kill your small breed dogs. My friend's small breed dogs have had 3 "near death experiences' in 4 years due to those toads no matter how much he tried to "bufo proof" his yard. This is not just a "pasco county" issue, but a statewide issue that many are not aware of. Tampabay: Bufo toads a threat to pets

As for Florida as a whole, I really love those new "Pain Clinics" popping up literally all over the place selling Oxycodone and other delicious pain pills to anyone who has the money to purchase them with the state's full blessings. Really adds to the tropical atmosphere and to the schools and neighborhoods in general as many have to steal to get the money for their "presciptions". But hey, there are still the beautiful beaches....

I am sure there are people on here who will say "bs" to what I have said, but those people are probably the very people I have talked about above so they cannot see it or they are the people who have already sunk all their money into a home in one of these neighborhoods and cannot get out.....To those people, I say "good luck" and I can only wish you the best for the future. I realize how hard it is to get off drugs once addicted as I have family and friends in the very same position and they struggle with it daily or to try and sell your house in a terrible economy where few people have money or desire to buy. The above are problems that are national problems too, not just here in New Port Richey, but the point is why move and spend your hard earned money on a place that is no better (and most likely worse) than where you are living now just for a beach and some sweltering hot and humid weather half the year? Employment here is so bad you cannot even look forward to a job at a fast food restaurant if you find yourself unemployed or have a child in school who needs a part-time job, many schools are infested with drugs and you have to be afraid to stay in or go out even in the daytime in many areas. Yes, there are some good neighborhoods in the Tampa Bay area, but not many if you are not rich or at least upper middle class and unfortunately, you cannot stay inside your little neighborhood 24/7 so eventually you will have to venture out into the majority of the area, which is truly "The Hood" whether you want to use that term or not.

Do yourself a favor and rent if you must move here and give yourself time to get a feel for the neighborhoods and schools, etc. before you decide to buy. Houses here are still falling in price and great deals will still be here for many years to come so don't rush into something you will regret later. The only news of rising prices here are the investors bidding against each other for a dump of a house to rent out to section 8 clients.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:03 PM

13,645 posts, read 9,309,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shua View Post
I grew up living in low income projects in a ghetto in Brooklyn, NY for 21 years and have never seen as much crime until I lived in New Port Richey off of 19. Flashing lights all the time and had to be afraid to leave my house for fear of coming home to an empty one. Druggies and dealers abound. People tearing up abandoned houses or squatting in them. Drug addicted prostitutes for the taking on the streets along U.S. 19 at all hours, etc. I think the problem is not just the local area, but the state justice system as these people are shoved through a revolving door right back out into the same situation they were in. No significant time served, no counseling, no rehab, etc. The terrible job situation due to the economy also does not help either and adds to the problems mentioned above.

Yes, houses are very cheap here now, but who the hell wants one at any price when you have to be afraid to live in them or leave them to even go to a doctor's appointment or to go shopping...They are worthless pieces of cement block with high HOI which is going much higher in the near future, high electric bills just to keep it halfway comfortable during the summer months, especially if it is an older, uninsulated box home and super duper sized palmetto bugs and palm size spiders everywhere. Oh, I almost forgot those red ants who literally run after your feet and jump on them and bite if you are anywhere near their nests. Those bites itch for months even when scabbed over. If you have small children who play outdoors, they can be a very big problem. Even if you find a nice home on what seems to be a "nice street", you never know who your neighbors will end up being as homes are being abandoned and foreclosed on all the time and either boarded up and broken into for the wiring, etc, or rented out by HUD or investors to undesirables who bring other undesirables to "hangout" right next to you or across the street watching your "comings and goings". I have seen my neighborhood change drastically in a matter of 6 short months. HUD and the investors are only making the neighborhoods worse by renting or selling to people who economically should not be in that home and cannot afford to care for it properly which brings the whole street down in value. Overflowing green swimming pools in these empty houses bring the mosquitos and Lord knows what else to nearby residents.

For those people who own small dogs, you have to also beware of the "Bufo Toads" which can literally kill your small breed dogs. My friend's small breed dogs have had 3 "near death experiences' in 4 years due to those toads no matter how much he tried to "bufo proof" his yard. This is not just a "pasco county" issue, but a statewide issue that many are not aware of. Tampabay: Bufo toads a threat to pets

As for Florida as a whole, I really love those new "Pain Clinics" popping up literally all over the place selling Oxycodone and other delicious pain pills to anyone who has the money to purchase them with the state's full blessings. Really adds to the tropical atmosphere and to the schools and neighborhoods in general as many have to steal to get the money for their "presciptions". But hey, there are still the beautiful beaches....

I am sure there are people on here who will say "bs" to what I have said, but those people are probably the very people I have talked about above so they cannot see it or they are the people who have already sunk all their money into a home in one of these neighborhoods and cannot get out.....To those people, I say "good luck" and I can only wish you the best for the future. I realize how hard it is to get off drugs once addicted as I have family and friends in the very same position and they struggle with it daily or to try and sell your house in a terrible economy where few people have money or desire to buy. The above are problems that are national problems too, not just here in New Port Richey, but the point is why move and spend your hard earned money on a place that is no better (and most likely worse) than where you are living now just for a beach and some sweltering hot and humid weather half the year? Employment here is so bad you cannot even look forward to a job at a fast food restaurant if you find yourself unemployed or have a child in school who needs a part-time job, many schools are infested with drugs and you have to be afraid to stay in or go out even in the daytime in many areas. Yes, there are some good neighborhoods in the Tampa Bay area, but not many if you are not rich or at least upper middle class and unfortunately, you cannot stay inside your little neighborhood 24/7 so eventually you will have to venture out into the majority of the area, which is truly "The Hood" whether you want to use that term or not.

Do yourself a favor and rent if you must move here and give yourself time to get a feel for the neighborhoods and schools, etc. before you decide to buy. Houses here are still falling in price and great deals will still be here for many years to come so don't rush into something you will regret later. The only news of rising prices here are the investors bidding against each other for a dump of a house to rent out to section 8 clients.
A very smart write up that is 100% dead on. You should try Westport in Portrichey, even worse than NPR. Only thing is, i never see roaches or any kind of wildlife for that matter. It's as if nothing moves or lives in Westport other than drug dealers. My house in Danahsore will be brought back to the way it was in the late 50's when it was built and i will be moving back in and getting the heck out of Westport. I hope to be moving back end of this month.
I would be lucky to get $22k for my house and it's better than most any other house in Westport.

Also the lack of rainfall in Westport would make anyone wonder what the heck is going on. Only had 6 days of rain this whole summer, and it is like this every summer here, lows around 82 and highs around 96 for about 5 solid months with the A/C running 24/7. As for HOI i don't have it as i go bare. No way i would pay near 5K a year to insure a home that is worth under 30k.

Only good thing i see is that Westport seems to be getting more and more homes that are empty, so that means less renters and less drugs. The crime report numbers have come down from around 80+ reports a month to around 60 or less as of late.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:07 PM

8,488 posts, read 17,932,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shua View Post
I grew up living in low income projects in a ghetto in Brooklyn, NY for 21 years and have never seen as much crime until I lived in New Port Richey off of 19.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
A very smart write up that is 100% dead on.
AYFKM?

Sure, East New York and Brownsville is so much nicer area than NPR, now I have heard it all. Marcy Projects and Lafayette Gardens are lovely places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay