U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2011, 06:09 PM

13,572 posts, read 9,240,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
AYFKM?

Sure, East New York and Brownsville is so much nicer area than NPR, now I have heard it all. Marcy Projects and Lafayette Gardens are lovely places.
I'm just talking about Westport. You can have NY also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 07:59 PM

4 posts, read 9,673 times
At least for all the crime and the slums, NY and better parts of Florida do have something "western pasco county" can never have, and that is something called "culture". The only "culture" I ever saw in my area of New Port Richey is something that grew on my shower stall and walls when I went away on vacation for a month in the summer and didn't leave on the ac.

The bottom line is that we can attack each other's posts back and forth, but if we all believed the same about a community and desired the same things, we all would be living in one small part of the country and the rest of the country would be barren. People have the right to know both sides of the coin when they are new to an area and seek opinions. My area of New Port Richey might not be Mike's area of New Port Richey. A "good life" to Mike might not be what I consider a "good life", and vice versa. The person who asked the original question might, as Mike does, find all of New Port Richey the most beautiful place he or she ever witnessed and like someone already mentioned, it also depends on where that particular person is coming from. I personally do not want to live among abandoned houses and have druggies and dealers around my house. I don't feel safe. I am an older woman. Mike on the other hand, might be an ex Marine who stands 7 feet tall and weighs 400 pounds with huge muscles with tattoos of every place he ever laid his hat and never leaves home without a loaded handgun in each pocket and feels perfectly fine where he is. I don't want to see old rusted out cars and living room furniture on all the front lawns on my street. Mike, on the other hand, might find that it makes for a "lived in" sort of look and would prefer that over a deed restricted community which I would probably prefer if I could afford it. We are all different and on that we should all agree...

Last edited by Shua; 10-15-2011 at 09:11 PM..

Old 10-16-2011, 03:37 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,891,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shua View Post
At least for all the crime and the slums, NY and better parts of Florida do have something "western pasco county" can never have, and that is something called "culture". The only "culture" I ever saw in my area of New Port Richey is something that grew on my shower stall and walls when I went away on vacation for a month in the summer and didn't leave on the ac.

The bottom line is that we can attack each other's posts back and forth, but if we all believed the same about a community and desired the same things, we all would be living in one small part of the country and the rest of the country would be barren. People have the right to know both sides of the coin when they are new to an area and seek opinions. My area of New Port Richey might not be Mike's area of New Port Richey. A "good life" to Mike might not be what I consider a "good life", and vice versa. The person who asked the original question might, as Mike does, find all of New Port Richey the most beautiful place he or she ever witnessed and like someone already mentioned, it also depends on where that particular person is coming from. I personally do not want to live among abandoned houses and have druggies and dealers around my house. I don't feel safe. I am an older woman. Mike on the other hand, might be an ex Marine who stands 7 feet tall and weighs 400 pounds with huge muscles with tattoos of every place he ever laid his hat and never leaves home without a loaded handgun in each pocket and feels perfectly fine where he is. I don't want to see old rusted out cars and living room furniture on all the front lawns on my street. Mike, on the other hand, might find that it makes for a "lived in" sort of look and would prefer that over a deed restricted community which I would probably prefer if I could afford it. We are all different and on that we should all agree...
So now you are going to bash an area with a population of a few thousand for having no culture by comparing it to a city of 8 million?

Tell me what kind of culture people are missing by living in West Pasco as compared to East New York. I am not saying all of New York since West Pasco has a small population I thought I would just pick an area with only about 5 times the population.

You also obviously did not read the whole thread and the rest of your post is filled with complete fabrications as to what I said and think about West Pasco.

You are just someone else that for one reason or another had to move to an area you did not want to and now nothing will ever be right.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:59 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,207,142 times
If none of those are up to par Mike, there is always the Louis Pink houses. Wonderful views if you have a high floor apartment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
AYFKM?

Sure, East New York and Brownsville is so much nicer area than NPR, now I have heard it all. Marcy Projects and Lafayette Gardens are lovely places.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:05 AM

Why would you relocate from one ghetto to another? Do you own your home outright or have a whole lot of equity so you would loose if you sold it? It amazes me that so many people move into areas that are apparently known as ghettos. Surely this area was starting to show its
wear when you first got there unless you've been there for 10, 15, 20 years. Thanks for your story. Very interesting.

Quote:
I grew up living in low income projects in a ghetto in Brooklyn, NY for 21 years and have never seen as much crime until I lived in New Port Richey off of 19. Flashing lights all the time and had to be afraid to leave my house for fear of coming home to an empty one. Druggies and dealers abound. People tearing up abandoned houses or squatting in them. Drug addicted prostitutes for the taking on the streets along U.S. 19 at all hours, etc. I think the problem is not just the local area, but the state justice system as these people are shoved through a revolving door right back out into the same situation they were in. No significant time served, no counseling, no rehab, etc. The terrible job situation due to the economy also does not help either and adds to the problems mentioned above.

Yes, houses are very cheap here now, but who the hell wants one at any price when you have to be afraid to live in them or leave them to even go to a doctor's appointment or to go shopping...They are worthless pieces of cement block with high HOI which is going much higher in the near future, high electric bills just to keep it halfway comfortable during the summer months, especially if it is an older, uninsulated box home and super duper sized palmetto bugs and palm size spiders everywhere. Oh, I almost forgot those red ants who literally run after your feet and jump on them and bite if you are anywhere near their nests. Those bites itch for months even when scabbed over. If you have small children who play outdoors, they can be a very big problem. Even if you find a nice home on what seems to be a "nice street", you never know who your neighbors will end up being as homes are being abandoned and foreclosed on all the time and either boarded up and broken into for the wiring, etc, or rented out by HUD or investors to undesirables who bring other undesirables to "hangout" right next to you or across the street watching your "comings and goings". I have seen my neighborhood change drastically in a matter of 6 short months. HUD and the investors are only making the neighborhoods worse by renting or selling to people who economically should not be in that home and cannot afford to care for it properly which brings the whole street down in value. Overflowing green swimming pools in these empty houses bring the mosquitos and Lord knows what else to nearby residents.

For those people who own small dogs, you have to also beware of the "Bufo Toads" which can literally kill your small breed dogs. My friend's small breed dogs have had 3 "near death experiences' in 4 years due to those toads no matter how much he tried to "bufo proof" his yard. This is not just a "pasco county" issue, but a statewide issue that many are not aware of. Tampabay: Bufo toads a threat to pets

As for Florida as a whole, I really love those new "Pain Clinics" popping up literally all over the place selling Oxycodone and other delicious pain pills to anyone who has the money to purchase them with the state's full blessings. Really adds to the tropical atmosphere and to the schools and neighborhoods in general as many have to steal to get the money for their "presciptions". But hey, there are still the beautiful beaches....

I am sure there are people on here who will say "bs" to what I have said, but those people are probably the very people I have talked about above so they cannot see it or they are the people who have already sunk all their money into a home in one of these neighborhoods and cannot get out.....To those people, I say "good luck" and I can only wish you the best for the future. I realize how hard it is to get off drugs once addicted as I have family and friends in the very same position and they struggle with it daily or to try and sell your house in a terrible economy where few people have money or desire to buy. The above are problems that are national problems too, not just here in New Port Richey, but the point is why move and spend your hard earned money on a place that is no better (and most likely worse) than where you are living now just for a beach and some sweltering hot and humid weather half the year? Employment here is so bad you cannot even look forward to a job at a fast food restaurant if you find yourself unemployed or have a child in school who needs a part-time job, many schools are infested with drugs and you have to be afraid to stay in or go out even in the daytime in many areas. Yes, there are some good neighborhoods in the Tampa Bay area, but not many if you are not rich or at least upper middle class and unfortunately, you cannot stay inside your little neighborhood 24/7 so eventually you will have to venture out into the majority of the area, which is truly "The Hood" whether you want to use that term or not.

Do yourself a favor and rent if you must move here and give yourself time to get a feel for the neighborhoods and schools, etc. before you decide to buy. Houses here are still falling in price and great deals will still be here for many years to come so don't rush into something you will regret later. The only news of rising prices here are the investors bidding against each other for a dump of a house to rent out to section 8 clients.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:09 AM

I grew up in NYC and lived there until 30 years of age. Please describe some of this "culture" that you expound? What "culture"?

I think a lot of you folks need to get away from the major population areas and find out what Florida is really about.

If you don't like Western Pasco County, leave it behind and go to an area
that meets your requirements. It's a big state.

Quote:

Old 10-16-2011, 01:10 PM

4 posts, read 9,673 times
It doesn't really matter where I live or the circumstances behind it as this thread was in response to a question and everyone deserves to get opinions on where to live if they choose to ask. Before they buy a house on a certain block, "smart potential buyers" will walk down the street knocking on everyone's door asking them how they feel about that particular neighborhood (gives them a good chance to meet their potential neighbors too). I am sure if there are a dozen homes on that block, they will get a dozen opinions, both negative and positive about what that person thinks about the area. Also a "smart potential buyer" will visit the local police station and/or sheriff's office and ask about the crime rate in that particular neighborhood. If they have children, a visit to the school both during school hours and right after would also be in order. In western pasco county, anyone who isn't legally blind can just drive around and see for themselves and will be able to form their own opinion as everything I said in my previous posts are right out there in your face! You know what they say "Opinions are like *******s...everyone has one" so it is ok if you and I don't agree. I lived in western pasco county for 8 years and yes, I formed my own opinion and it was easy as I am not legally blind and was able to see real well. I guess you are one of those buyers who was not a "smart buyer" and who didn't do the above and got stuck in a house in "The Hood' and cannot sell it for what you paid for it so are therefore "stuck" and are hoping by denying a neighborhood is bad, will sucker others who are newcomers to the state and city, into buying there in the hope that it somehow will get better. Fat chance anywhere in the near future, sorry.

If you feel that the freedom of speech doesn't apply anymore in America and I cannot post my opinion of west pasco county due to it not fitting your opinion of it, then ********** forum as I had thought it was a forum about American cities based in America, not China.

I'm done.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:05 PM

8,488 posts, read 17,891,847 times
Quote:
It doesn't really matter where I live or the circumstances behind it as this thread was in response to a question and everyone deserves to get opinions on where to live if they choose to ask. Before they buy a house on a certain block, "smart potential buyers" will walk down the street knocking on everyone's door asking them how they feel about that particular neighborhood (gives them a good chance to meet their potential neighbors too). I am sure if there are a dozen homes on that block, they will get a dozen opinions, both negative and positive about what that person thinks about the area. Also a "smart potential buyer" will visit the local police station and/or sheriff's office and ask about the crime rate in that particular neighborhood. If they have children, a visit to the school both during school hours and right after would also be in order. In western pasco county, anyone who isn't legally blind can just drive around and see for themselves and will be able to form their own opinion as everything I said in my previous posts are right out there in your face! You know what they say "Opinions are like *******s...everyone has one" so it is ok if you and I don't agree. I lived in western pasco county for 8 years and yes, I formed my own opinion and it was easy as I am not legally blind and was able to see real well. I guess you are one of those buyers who was not a "smart buyer" and who didn't do the above and got stuck in a house in "The Hood' and cannot sell it for what you paid for it so are therefore "stuck" and are hoping by denying a neighborhood is bad, will sucker others who are newcomers to the state and city, into buying there in the hope that it somehow will get better. Fat chance anywhere in the near future, sorry.

If you feel that the freedom of speech doesn't apply anymore in America and I cannot post my opinion of west pasco county due to it not fitting your opinion of it, then ********** forum as I had thought it was a forum about American cities based in America, not China.

I'm done.
No one questioned your opinion. You stated you saw more crime in West Pasco than you did in the projects of Brooklyn. Either you were legally blind in Brooklyn and miraculously regained sight in Pasco or you were just not being truthful.
Why not state what project you lived in and what years and what subdivision of West Pasco?
Freedom of speech certainly applies here and I used my freedom of speech to call you out
I'm glad you are done, one less poster throwing around baseless statements is always a good thing.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:13 PM

6,584 posts, read 6,794,387 times
I think there is some hyperbole in a few posts here!!No culture in NYC??Come on!Higher crime in West Pasco then Brooklyn?? I wouldn't say West Pasco in Holiday is a place I would want to live...but Gulf Harbors is very nice!!

Old 10-17-2011, 04:07 AM

13,572 posts, read 9,240,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I think there is some hyperbole in a few posts here!!No culture in NYC??Come on!Higher crime in West Pasco then Brooklyn?? I wouldn't say West Pasco in Holiday is a place I would want to live...but Gulf Harbors is very nice!!
Yes Gulf Harbors is nice if ya got 400k and up to spend on a house, and then don't forget Ins cost. That is like comparing Danashores to TNC. As most of the area in west Pasco around US19 is small 2bedroom homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay