U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2011, 08:49 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,058,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Why do southerners act like it snows 24/7?

IT can go for weeks without a trace of snow.

Cold does not equal snow.
Interesting observation and I agree. We left FL for New England and we moved to a spittle of land where we DON'T get the forcasted snow. We've walked every day last week, we'll walk today, on pavement without slipping or tripping and Wednesday when other parts of New England are slated for 20" of snow, we'll get a rain event. Not all of New England is in a snow belt and life isn't black & white.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:53 AM

463 posts, read 913,158 times
Wow this thread ran away over the weekend Can't you guys agree that both places have good and bad at the times. In north you have cold winters with occassional blizzard and in Florida you have high heat/humidity with occassional huracane coming your way. People should not pick their BEST times in one part and compare to the WORST conditions in another.

Also in Ohio where i'm from i have not seen a traffic delay for 6-7 hours for 10 miles in any of the blizzards. These things happen in southern parts of the snow blanked where cities do not get snow that often and don't have enough experience to deal with it. And yes you can always add extra layer to keep yourself warm and in high heat ... well you better hope your AC is good.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:10 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,217,684 times
Here we go again.....

Midwest, Plains brace for massive winter storm - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_winter_weather - broken link)

Old 01-31-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Here we go again.....

Midwest, Plains brace for massive winter storm - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_winter_weather - broken link)

Slow news day It's called a winter and storms are quite bit expected.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:51 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,217,684 times
Slow as in Egypt, our key military ally in SE Asia is about to fall, slow?

Bring me back to the thread title....

More snow in Northeast....makes you appreciate FLA

Old 01-31-2011, 10:35 AM

Egypt or Ally in Asia will not bring rating to the news. Talk about doom and gloom in NE and you have yourself a nice amount of viewers.

However i do Like the nice weather that we have right now and day to day business i probably prefer such temperature. It was nice spend my weekend in shorts, flipflops and tshirt and it does make you appreciate the FLA. For now at least

Old 01-31-2011, 02:41 PM

76 posts, read 64,007 times
I have a big freezer in my garage that I use for storing meat. In January and February I can unplug it and save on electricity. It's like having my own meat locker.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:42 PM

76 posts, read 64,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Here we go again.....

This is the first significant storm in my old area, so it's not "again"

Old 01-31-2011, 02:49 PM

3,599 posts, read 5,845,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Why do southerners act like it snows 24/7?

IT can go for weeks without a trace of snow.

Cold does not equal snow.
Why are you calling people southerners on a Florida forum? Yes Florida is in the south, yes there are southern elements to Florida, but more than 1/2 of the people that live here are 1st or 2nd generation immigrants from other parts of the country and therefore we are very familiar with the weather in the northeast and/or midwest.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:08 PM

8,488 posts, read 17,942,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay FL View Post
That's a misleading stat because in Michigan your property taxes are based off of HALF the market value so yes Michigan has higher milage rates but taxable values are half of what they are in Florida. I have to buy a more expensive home in Florida because they are so much more expensive. If this is the bottom of the market for Florida I cannot believe how much people were paying for these houses. You get much less house for your money in Florida vs Michigan. If you can find me a house in South Tampa with a taxable value of $55,000 that's completely updated, I'll take it.
I just checked the Michigan Dept of the Treasury and they have a property tax estimator. It still looks to me that even a homestead property there is going to have higher taxes than Hillsborough County. We also get a homestead exemption here but I won't go any further with this because since you obviously don't want to be here and no matter what someone says you will say they are wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay