U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2011, 05:13 PM

707 posts, read 1,291,534 times

Advertisements

Where I live up in New York at least people can still drive when theres a blizzard or rain event.

People cant drive at all in Florida when its bright and sunny.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:24 PM

56,296 posts, read 80,484,640 times
In my area, we take care of the snow in a timely manner and life goes on as usual. We have had 113 inches already this winter and the streets are dry right now. Not bad for the metro that has the highest average snowfall in the country. People can actually enjoy life during the winters up here as well.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:13 PM

76 posts, read 63,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
I just checked the Michigan Dept of the Treasury and they have a property tax estimator. It still looks to me that even a homestead property there is going to have higher taxes than Hillsborough County. We also get a homestead exemption here but I won't go any further with this because since you obviously don't want to be here and no matter what someone says you will say they are wrong.

You don't understand how taxes work in Michigan. If you buy a house for $100,000 your SEV is 50,000 so you would plug 50,000 into the estimator. If you are comparing a house with a market value of 200,000 in Florida and Michigan, you base property taxes off of 100,000 in Michigan. That's how it's done in Michigan regardless if it's homestead or not. Michigan does their homestead by giving you a lower milage rate whereas Florida does it by taking off some taxable value.

Also, taxes vary greatly between the city and rural areas. There's no way you could make a comparison by picking a random county, city, and school district in Michigan and compare that with Florida.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:11 PM

2,602 posts, read 7,184,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
Where I live up in New York at least people can still drive when theres a blizzard or rain event.

People cant drive at all in Florida when its bright and sunny.
When will people realize that the whole Florida=bad drivers thing is so overplayed? A few posts back, someone complained about using the term "Southerners" to describe Floridians, since a lot of people are from other states. That logic should also apply to this scenario. Different parts of the country=different driving styles, which carry over to states with large amounts of non-native population, like Florida, and presumably California, Nevada, Arizona, et cetera.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:53 PM

747 posts, read 1,575,115 times
It was a glorious 77 degrees here today in Tampa; I'm getting spring fever.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:15 PM

11 posts, read 14,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I'd still take that over hell from May to October....
Yeah...it was worse than that...there were hail storms..

Old 01-31-2011, 09:18 PM

11,501 posts, read 13,402,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Your posts tell me that you are going to be a disgruntled Floridian because you really don't want to be here in the 1st place.

All we need is another poster who hates Florida when they should not have moved to Florida to begin with.

When someone has a pre-disposition of a place it usually works out to be a bad situation.

Far to many do not want to be in Florida and then blame Florida for all their ills when it was their decision in the first place and has nothing to do with Florida.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:36 PM

76 posts, read 63,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
All we need is another poster who hates Florida when they should not have moved to Florida to begin with.

When someone has a pre-disposition of a place it usually works out to be a bad situation.

Far to many do not want to be in Florida and then blame Florida for all their ills when it was their decision in the first place and has nothing to do with Florida.

All I've said was so far the neighborhoods are really unimpressive and expensive. I'm sorry but I'm used to neighborhoods that are considered prime location to have sidewalks. I knew it was going to be hot, I knew there was going to be bugs, I knew taxes and insurance was going to be more, what I didn't know was housing was going to be four times more. I may be out of line but I didn't move to Florida to downgrade houses and pay three times more for it. I'm not sure where you are getting this predisposition from. Perhaps I had too high of hopes for Tampa.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:37 PM

9,568 posts, read 8,854,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post

WELL...far too many people think moving to Florida is like going on a permanent vacation...then reality sets in.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:55 PM

11,501 posts, read 13,402,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
WELL...far too many people think moving to Florida is like going on a permanent vacation...then reality sets in.

Only those who have not done their homework and made poor decision along the way believe this.

Only those who hate Florida or failed in Florida really would believe this stuff. Just another excuse to scare people away for some reason.

Have you read the success stories of people who have moved to Florida and have done very well, still there and enjoy it? Probably not. Those people never once posted they thought Florida would be like a vacation.

I do not know anyone who wants to or is planning on moving to Florida and post here who thinks living in Florida is like being on vacation.

If you are meaning me then you are totally WRONG.

Then again, floating around in your pool sipping an ice tea, being able to come and go as you wish, being able to go the the beach, Disney, Sea World, being a short drive from a cruise ship, scuba diving, jet ski's, being able to antique and flea market year around, always being warm, having the money to do what you want and when you want to do it.

Well, that is kinda like a vacation right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay