U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 05:29 PM

76 posts, read 64,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Looks like we have another unhappy camper. Forced relocation results in unhappiness.

Not sure if you are talking about me but I took a voluntary transfer to Tampa and my wife declined a higher paying job offer in Ann Arbor.

I'm not sure why people think I'm "failing" Could it be even remotely possible that Tampa isn't a wonderful city?

Old 02-02-2011, 05:58 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,138,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay FL View Post
Not sure if you are talking about me but I took a voluntary transfer to Tampa and my wife declined a higher paying job offer in Ann Arbor.

I'm not sure why people think I'm "failing" Could it be even remotely possible that Tampa isn't a wonderful city?
I don't think you're failing. I think Tampa is not for you. You aren't going to like it any better as time goes on. I really do hope you get back to Michigan ~~ you'll be happier.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:08 PM

2,359 posts, read 4,492,316 times
For some strange reason some people around here seem to think you failed if you move here and deciede to leave. Sometimes a move back is actually a move forward. It definatly will be for us.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
I don't think you're failing. I think Tampa is not for you. You aren't going to like it any better as time goes on. I really do hope you get back to Michigan ~~ you'll be happier.

It'll take a little convincing of my wife but I think I can do it in a year. If she would've taken the job in Ann Arbor, we were thinking of either Farmington Hills, Northville or Plymouth. Everytime after we look at a 300,000 fixer in South Tampa, I show her five houses in one of those three better neighborhoods that are 2500 sq ft, need almost no work and are 250,000 or less. I also have on DVR last Friday's House Hunters in Farmington in which we could've bought a 2000 sq ft fixer for 100,000. She also loves Meijers so I drop hints about going to Meijers.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:13 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,058,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
For some strange reason some people around here seem to think you failed if you move here and deciede to leave. Sometimes a move back is actually a move forward. It definatly will be for us.
It takes a lot to regroup and relocate, financially and emotionally. I couldn't agree more, Ken E! Best wishes!!

Old 02-02-2011, 06:20 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,138,078 times
Quote:
It'll take a little convincing of my wife but I think I can do it in a year. If she would've taken the job in Ann Arbor, we were thinking of either Farmington Hills, Northville or Plymouth. Everytime after we look at a 300,000 fixer in South Tampa, I show her five houses in one of those three better neighborhoods that are 2500 sq ft, need almost no work and are 250,000 or less. I also have on DVR last Friday's House Hunters in Farmington in which we could've bought a 2000 sq ft fixer for 100,000. She also loves Meijers so I drop hints about going to Meijers.
I do miss Meijers. Those stores are awesome.

I think you should go for Farmington Hills, especially with prices the way they are now.

Good luck!

Old 02-02-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
I do miss Meijers. Those stores are awesome.

I think you should go for Farmington Hills, especially with prices the way they are now.

Good luck!

I actually prefer the east side. Just showed my wife a listing in Grosse Pointe Shores. 2500 sq ft plus finished basement on a huge lot, less than a block off of Lakeshore Dr. Completely updated inside for $300,000. This makes me depressed.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:59 PM

11,501 posts, read 13,430,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post

Ken,
You are an exception to this thought. You moved to Florida and enjoyed it for 10 years and want to move back to be around your Grand kids.
Nothing wrong with that at all. I applaud you for it.

There are others who a few of us know personally who failed miserable in Florida. They made poor decisions personally, financially etc and then for some reason always blame Florida for their failures. Many post here long after they are gone from Florida.

Many come to Florida and do very well, when it is time to leave and move on they do and they like you, post positive things on how you enjoyed Florida etc and you do not bash Florida all day every day like some do.

So please Ken do not take my thoughts of people who have failed as meaning you. I know you well enough from your post and our conversations that you are a good hearted, loving person who enjoyed Florida for 10 years and now it is time to go home and be with your family.

In many of my post I always tell those who want to come to Florida to make sure they do their homework, have jobs, plan well, be financially ready to move with backup money etc as none of us want people to move to Florida and end up hating it and or blaming it when something goes wrong.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:20 PM

41 posts, read 63,466 times
Quote:
I try not to compare Chicago to Tampa because it would make me depressed.

Where do you get good Bohemian, Polish and Lithuanian food down here? I found good Cuban and good fish but I'm jonesin' for some good pierogis and kugelis. Not to mention a decent pizza; you know, thin crispy crust and cut in squares.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:47 PM

113 posts, read 246,055 times
Its about 15 degrees and icy all over where I am currently at. I just checked the Tampa weather and it says 75 degrees right now, and a high of 79 tomorrow. Cant wait till I move this spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay