U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2011, 03:46 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,944,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuanaso View Post
I live in PA and I thought this past summer was brutal!
I'm saying you couldn't even walk around the house without a drop of sweat coming down your neck...
Imagine having that all year around ? atleast for the most part

I know the cold weather sucks but man some people complain about it too much. Its only from october until Early March..
Where I am 5 out of 12 months the average high is in the 70's, 8 out of 12 months the average high is 70's or 80's and 4 out of 12 months the average high is 90-92 yet a bunch of people with no clue about the weather here will make broad statements such as yours.
Don't fall in with the Florida is one type of weather all the time bunch for they know not of what they speak.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:03 AM

15,198 posts, read 31,159,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Where I am 5 out of 12 months the average high is in the 70's, 8 out of 12 months the average high is 70's or 80's and 4 out of 12 months the average high is 90-92 yet a bunch of people with no clue about the weather here will make broad statements such as yours.
Don't fall in with the Florida is one type of weather all the time bunch for they know not of what they speak.
I am a Florida native and this is 100% correct^^^. People love to generalize and basically just make stuff up. I only run my AC 6 mo. out of the year, and in winter rarely, if ever, turn on any kind of heat.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:05 AM

463 posts, read 913,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huascar View Post
Where do you get good Bohemian, Polish and Lithuanian food down here? I found good Cuban and good fish but I'm jonesin' for some good pierogis and kugelis. Not to mention a decent pizza; you know, thin crispy crust and cut in squares.
I could go for some kugelis ir cepelinai right about now. If you find any place, let me know

Old 02-04-2011, 07:23 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,257,827 times
I hear ya Mike. I wouldnt live in a city again. After seeing Orlando explode into a major city we decided on the semi rural life instead.

Quote:
I don't live in a major city, I am an hour outside of downtown Tampa, 45-50 minutes from the airport and I think it is great. There is plenty to do and plenty of space to do it.
Your own preferences do not define what other likes, many millions that live in suburban and rural areas are quite happy.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:29 AM

3,378 posts, read 7,895,646 times
Quote:
17 months in a year??

I couldn't agree with you more. Yes, it gets hot here in the summer and I think winter is a lot cooler than most people expect (it is for me, still better than anywhere else though).

Some people look at weather differently. If the high for a day is 95 that doesn't mean it's 95 all day. In fact, on a 95 day it is quite pleasant for most until about 10-11am and after 7pm. If there is a decent breeze it's even better.

Many people complain there are not seasons here... they are wrong. There are seasons, they are more subtle but there is a huge difference between summer, fall and winter. Heck, I'm begging for spring because I want the sun and mid 80's to arrive already.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:33 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,438,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I am a Florida native and this is 100% correct^^^. People love to generalize and basically just make stuff up. I only run my AC 6 mo. out of the year, and in winter rarely, if ever, turn on any kind of heat.
Couldn't agree more. I will admit that there are probably about 2 or 3 weeks in the dead center of summer that are so hot it does kind of take your breath away when you get out in it, but that is only for a couple of weeks. There are a couple more months that it is hot, but not to the point that you avoid going outside. I run my AC about 6 months also. The rest of the year we have our windows open and can enjoy the fresh air. I have lived in my house for almost 7 years now and have only turned on my heater once. We turned it on last winter when it was getting cold just to make sure it worked. After about 5 minutes we turned it right back off.

In the middle of summer, I do sometimes wish it would cool off a bit more at night just to get a small break. But then I remind myself that it isn't like that for too long and we go back to cooling off at night.

I think that a lot of people exaggerate because when you are living in it, it does feel like a lot longer than it actually is. Kind of like how winter can feel a lot longer than it really is up north. When you actually think about it, it isn't nearly as long as it seems. Other than those 2 weeks in the dead of summer, I can go for a bike ride any day and I really enjoy that.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:46 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,059,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post

There are others who a few of us know personally who failed miserable in Florida. They made poor decisions personally, financially etc and then for some reason always blame Florida for their failures. Many post here long after they are gone from Florida.
And there are those, like myself and my husband, who came to FL and made excellent choices, we bought in 2004 and sold in 2011 and still made money on our home, we lived a mortgage-free life, we played golf, we biked, we hiked, but Florida wasn't for us. What drove us away from Florida was an ache for all things familiar, grandkids, family, friends, and food. The icing on the cake was the politics and neighbors spouting off about their cockamamie views without even testing the waters, just assuming we thought as narrowly as they did. Disagreeing with posters isn't bashing, it's self-expression. I find that new Floridians will go to any length to defend their 'sacrifice' to follow the sun.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:13 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,438,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
Disagreeing with posters isn't bashing, it's self-expression. I find that new Floridians will go to any length to defend their 'sacrifice' to follow the sun.
I agree with you on this. However, I have started visiting other state sites recently and have noticed that it is the same in almost every state. I think it is a natural instinct to defend your decisions, and where you live is a very big decision.

I have seen many posts that were hard to ignore. I wanted to jump in and defend my state against broad generalizations and information that was just wrong, but at the same time I stay out of it quite often to make sure I don't just sound defensive. Some times I will leave and come back later to make sure I word things on here so that I can get my point across without sounding defensive. It is very hard to get tone across in the written word. All it takes here is one person to read the tone wrong and it can start a huge debate that will last several pages. I try to take that in to consideration when I am responding to a thread.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:31 AM

2,763 posts, read 4,696,863 times
I'd rather be in the snow than be here in FL. 3.5 more long years...

Old 02-04-2011, 03:13 PM

2,665 posts, read 2,181,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
Things arent all what they seem. Research heavily, know its where you wanna stay for good or dont take up space here. My best advice. The state is flooded with enough people who are indecisive or they move out after a short time.
Thanks for the advice, but I'm a former Florida resident, spent the first 27 or so years of my life there, so I know what I'm getting into though it will be new for my better half. I give no lifetime warranties, we may move elsewhere someday, but the next chapter of our lives will unfold in the Tampa Bay area. We arrive 2/27!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay