U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2011, 05:11 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,222,762 times

Advertisements

If it's winter, it may be time to go to the beach - Breaking News - BradentonHerald.com

Old 02-05-2011, 05:48 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,944,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
17 months in a year??

I couldn't agree with you more. Yes, it gets hot here in the summer and I think winter is a lot cooler than most people expect (it is for me, still better than anywhere else though).

Some people look at weather differently. If the high for a day is 95 that doesn't mean it's 95 all day. In fact, on a 95 day it is quite pleasant for most until about 10-11am and after 7pm. If there is a decent breeze it's even better.

Many people complain there are not seasons here... they are wrong. There are seasons, they are more subtle but there is a huge difference between summer, fall and winter. Heck, I'm begging for spring because I want the sun and mid 80's to arrive already.
The 8 months in the 70's and 80's are those 5 months in the 70's and 3 months in the 80's. I was just trying to give more info to the poster who made the ridiculous weather comment.

In addition to what you mentioned about days with highs of 95, the humidity also goes down as the temperature rises during the day so the time of day that may be 70-80 humidity is early in the morning or later in the day when it is not as warm. Not like the posts we keep seeing with claims of 95 degrees all day with 100% humidity.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:34 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,392,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
Couldn't agree more. I will admit that there are probably about 2 or 3 weeks in the dead center of summer that are so hot it does kind of take your breath away when you get out in it, but that is only for a couple of weeks. There are a couple more months that it is hot, but not to the point that you avoid going outside. I run my AC about 6 months also. The rest of the year we have our windows open and can enjoy the fresh air. I have lived in my house for almost 7 years now and have only turned on my heater once. We turned it on last winter when it was getting cold just to make sure it worked. After about 5 minutes we turned it right back off.

In the middle of summer, I do sometimes wish it would cool off a bit more at night just to get a small break. But then I remind myself that it isn't like that for too long and we go back to cooling off at night.

I think that a lot of people exaggerate because when you are living in it, it does feel like a lot longer than it actually is. Kind of like how winter can feel a lot longer than it really is up north. When you actually think about it, it isn't nearly as long as it seems. Other than those 2 weeks in the dead of summer, I can go for a bike ride any day and I really enjoy that.
Also, you have to adjust to it if you come from a place with Winter. I almost died there in the summer but loved it this time of year and laughed when everyone was calling it Winter!! I can deal with Florida winters!

Old 02-05-2011, 09:51 PM

6,074 posts, read 5,336,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
I'd rather be in the snow than be here in FL. 3.5 more long years...
Do you know how many car accidents there were in Omaha in the last 7 days? How many people got affected by the closing of I-80, or were stuck for hours? How many thousands of hours of work were missed?

But no one has to apologize for their taste or opinions. I know you are intent on making the best of your exile to paradise.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:30 PM

2,763 posts, read 4,696,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Do you know how many car accidents there were in Omaha in the last 7 days? How many people got affected by the closing of I-80, or were stuck for hours? How many thousands of hours of work were missed?

But no one has to apologize for their taste or opinions. I know you are intent on making the best of your exile to paradise.
You're putting words in my mouth that I never even came close to saying. You say this is paradise, I think the SNOW is paradise. What one person thinks is great weather, another does not. I'm allowed my opinion and I have not bashed anyone in this thread for their opinion. I VERY SIMPLY stated that I'd rather be in the snow.

And dont get me started on driving in the snow. Last winter I was working on christmas eve in the blizzard in Omaha, where the snow was so high I couldnt even move my car because in the 8 hours I was at work, it got past the grill of my car. Did it suck? Sure. I still got home safely thanks to the awesome midwest attitude of helping those in need. I dont feel that here in FL, not even close. So, your idea of "paradise" here does not even touch close to my idea of paradise.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:39 AM

3,599 posts, read 5,846,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huascar View Post
When you live in the South you're a Southerner regardless of where you or your ancestors came from.

Florida is in the South.
Okay. Well then let's say I'm from South Carolina, and for fun, let's say I speak with a strong southern accent in addition to exuding pride for the heritage of "where my ancestors came from." The only catch is now I'm living in Manhattan, guess that makes me a Yankee/Northerner. Double standard right?

Old 02-07-2011, 05:19 AM

747 posts, read 1,579,100 times
Quote:
I'd rather be in the snow than be here in FL. 3.5 more long years...
And the problem with this is people in this situation are emotionally disconnected from the area. They won't get involved in the community, wont be active making lifelong friends in the area, and wont invest in the future of Tampa. This also creates a "transient" attitude with cold, hard, bitter people who just want to get the heck out of here at all costs; even if it's at the cost of improving the quality of life here. Very sad.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:34 AM

2,763 posts, read 4,696,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
And the problem with this is people in this situation are emotionally disconnected from the area. They won't get involved in the community, wont be active making lifelong friends in the area, and wont invest in the future of Tampa. This also creates a "transient" attitude with cold, hard, bitter people who just want to get the heck out of here at all costs; even if it's at the cost of improving the quality of life here. Very sad.
Partially true. I have made a great friend here, who ironically enough is from the midwest as well, probably why I like her so much - she's not a native!

But no, I wont be investing anything into tampa other than my money into the economy here. You've got to realize that happens when you have a military base here, not everyone enjoys their assignments.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:00 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,257,827 times
I agree with your last comment. Different strokes for different folks, no doubt that is true especially when it comes to what one considers acceptable climate. In your case you are here due to the needs of the military. You arent here by choice and have all the right in the world to say you dont like it because its not for you.

Quote:
You're putting words in my mouth that I never even came close to saying. You say this is paradise, I think the SNOW is paradise. What one person thinks is great weather, another does not. I'm allowed my opinion and I have not bashed anyone in this thread for their opinion. I VERY SIMPLY stated that I'd rather be in the snow.

And dont get me started on driving in the snow. Last winter I was working on christmas eve in the blizzard in Omaha, where the snow was so high I couldnt even move my car because in the 8 hours I was at work, it got past the grill of my car. Did it suck? Sure. I still got home safely thanks to the awesome midwest attitude of helping those in need. I dont feel that here in FL, not even close. So, your idea of "paradise" here does not even touch close to my idea of paradise.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:03 AM

10,238 posts, read 18,754,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Okay. Well then let's say I'm from South Carolina, and for fun, let's say I speak with a strong southern accent in addition to exuding pride for the heritage of "where my ancestors came from." The only catch is now I'm living in Manhattan, guess that makes me a Yankee/Northerner. Double standard right?
If you live in the North you're a Northerner regardless of where you or your ancestors came from. New York is in the North.

Take Abraham Lincoln for instance who was born in Kentucky and moved to Illinois. Damned few people would think of him as a Southerner.

What do you mean by a double standard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay