Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 11:15 AM

463 posts, read 1,052,370 times

Advertisements

I think your lifestyle and personality describes you as a southerner or northerner. I've seen plenty of people in north that live more like a southerner, talk with southern accent and such. By simply moving few hundred miles to north, does not make your northerner or vice versus. Even if live in florida now, i just don't see myself as a southerner. I still like snow, jump in my shorts on when it's 55 and sunny and pretty much never wear a coat in here.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:34 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,742,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewas View Post
I think your lifestyle and personality describes you as a southerner or northerner. I've seen plenty of people in north that live more like a southerner.............
Define living like a Southerner. And living like a Northerner. While you're at it define urban and rural.

That one's living in the South makes them a Southerner seems so obvious and simple.....what do they call that, Occam's Razor? In a basic sense how can one living in the South be anything but a Southerner?

Old 02-07-2011, 09:31 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,942,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Define living like a Southerner. And living like a Northerner. While you're at it define urban and rural.

That one's living in the South makes them a Southerner seems so obvious and simple.....what do they call that, Occam's Razor? In a basic sense how can one living in the South be anything but a Southerner?
I get you're point and actually like what I think your overall point is. Very matter of fact and geography based. So based on the idea that moving to a different area now makes you from that area, would you consider non-US citizens who are living in the US to be Americans?? After all, they did move to America?

Old 02-08-2011, 07:39 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,850,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huascar View Post
When you live in the South you're a Southerner regardless of where you or your ancestors came from.

Florida is in the South.
I can honestly say that this is the first time I have heard Florida described as a Southern state. Everyone knows that is is located in the south, but most people think that it is an exception to the geography rule. Being a Southerner is more of a way of life than geography. For a long time I wondered why Florida was the exception to the rule because you would think it is a Southern state. I finally realized that Florida is the melting pot of the country. People move here from so many different places that no single identity could emerge. What used to be a Southern state (a LONG time ago) has been taken over by northern transplants, mid-west transplants, Canadian transplants, etc. Slowly Florida turned in to a state that had no Northern or Southern identity and it just became Florida.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:45 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,098 times
I think it is funny this is even a discussion. You guys understand the only people that care about "southerners" and "northerners" are those who live/lived in the south and live/lived in the North East right?

The rest of the nation doesn't look at these regions in this way and most think, "Get over it, the civil war is over."

It's quite funny how North vs South is still such a big thing here.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:52 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
I think it is funny this is even a discussion. You guys understand the only people that care about "southerners" and "northerners" are those who live/lived in the south and live/lived in the North East right?

The rest of the nation doesn't look at these regions in this way and most think, "Get over it, the civil war is over."

True. My ancestors came here from Northern Spain, and believe me the LAST thing I ever thought of was Florida being in any way "southern" LOL! Not even southern Spain!

Old 02-08-2011, 08:19 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,850,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post

I didn't realize the North vs South was a big thing here. I am not sure if you were referring to my post, but I honestly don't care if we are considered Southern, Northern, Floridian, or whatever. I just always thought it was kind of interesting that Florida seemed to be an exception to that rule and wanted to share my thoughts on it.

I am really curious though, besides on this site where simple comments can be blown up into huge debates, have you noticed it being a big deal IRL around here? I have never noticed anything and am curious if I just don't see it even though it is out there.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:39 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,181,103 times
Thread is closed..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay