U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 01:11 PM

2 posts, read 1,936 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are entertaining a move to FL and have job prospects in Tampa and Naples. We are just a bit torn on which direction to go if we have a choice. I was just wondering if anyone has lived in both places and which do they prefer.

We're in our early 30's with three small kids and are looking to buy a house. I am a little worried about all I have read about the crazy traffic in Tampa. We also don't go out often so nightlife isn't really important to us.

Thanks in advance for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 02:36 PM

4,226 posts, read 5,681,699 times
Naples is definitely quieter, but I'd be bored to death there. Tampa Bay encompass many different communities, not just Tampa. Check them out.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:03 AM

21,137 posts, read 30,240,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
Naples is definitely quieter, but I'd be bored to death there. Tampa Bay encompass many different communities, not just Tampa. Check them out.
Exactly. I'm not sure if folks check out maps very often when planning a relocation to "Tampa" as they seem unaware of the fact that the area offers such a scope in terms of "family friendly" places (quality schools, etc.), with reasonable-to-somewhat-reasonable commutes. Besides the obvious of Tampa itself, you have:

Seminole
Palm Harbor
Safety Harbor
Oldsmar-East Lake
Citrus Park
Valrico
Fishhawk Ranch

All of these towns/areas have excellent schools for the most part. The housing is divided between well-kept/well-established neighborhoods built 10-20 years ago or less (all but Seminole), or cookie-cutter new construction (the latter three fall more into that category). Seminole was built out largely during the 1980s, yet has very nice homes where it's obviously kept up.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:28 AM

2 posts, read 1,936 times
I understand that there are other areas outside of Tampa, I was just using that as a generalization, we have actually been looking in the Clearwater area.

We're just trying to figure out where we'd rather be and was looking for input on people who have lived around both places.

Personally, I've never been to either and we'll have to make a decision sight unseen...

Old 02-03-2011, 08:57 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,432,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeMeSe View Post
I understand that there are other areas outside of Tampa, I was just using that as a generalization, we have actually been looking in the Clearwater area.

We're just trying to figure out where we'd rather be and was looking for input on people who have lived around both places.

Personally, I've never been to either and we'll have to make a decision sight unseen...
I grew up in Palm Harbor so I am a little biased towards that area. I LOVE Palm Harbor. My parents still live in the same house I live in for the majority of my childhood. I take my daughter to their neighborhood for trick or treating (along with all of her cousins) because I love it so much and love the feel for their neighborhood. I just love Palm Harbor and wish I could afford a house there. It also isn't too bad of a commute to North Tampa. I do know that Palm Harbor isn't for everyone.

I did live in an apartment for a couple of years in Clearwater. It may have been the area that I was in, but I didn't like it nearly as much. I will say that Clearwater is a much better location for commuting to St. Pete and parts of Tampa, but to me it feels dirtier than PH. I don't know how else to describe it. Maybe someone else can help me out here (unless I am the only one who feels that).

I have never lived in Tampa. I have actually only been in Tampa maybe 5 times my entire life (born and raised in Pinellas county), so I can't really help you out with Tampa information.

All of that being said, you may want to rent before you buy. I know the prospect of moving with 3 small children to a temporary location (rental) may seem tough, but imagine buying and then realizing in just a few months that you would much rather live in a different area. Most areas in Tampa Bay have completely different feels to them than the others. You need to be in the area to feel the vibe. I think he best way to do that is to rent for a year and spend some time in all of the areas you are considering.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:10 AM

3,378 posts, read 7,875,900 times
Do yourself a favor. Rent before you buy. Areas around here vary so much from block to block you need to rent in an area you think you will like and than drill down on which neighborhood you will want to buy a house in. You can only do this effectively and correctly if you live in the area first.

I now know exactly where I want to buy a house and will wait for the right home to become available in the neighborhood if I have to. Plus, they are predicting home values to continue to drop, minimally. Meaning, certain neighborhoods will not have their value drop while others will. The days of purchasing a home to sell it 5 years later are over. Between fees and commissions you'll lose money in 5 years.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:50 AM

494 posts, read 1,417,547 times
At least drive around some before you decide. See what feels best to you since you appear to have the choice.

FloridaKash is right - rent first
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay