Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 09:56 AM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,938 times

Advertisements

Me: My wife is even more into 'hot chicks' than I am, so it's win/win.

Algia: Ew!

[sarcasm]I'm guessing you're a blast to party with.[/sarcasm]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 09:57 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay FL View Post
Shouldn't this be in the New York forum if you are calling attention to New York State?
He probably need reassurance for the move here, nothing wrong with that but that's what I am thinking..

Old 02-03-2011, 10:02 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,304,420 times
Quote:
I don't understand why Florida has toll roads? New York has a much higher cost to maintain roads from having to plow and repair roads due to weather, but why does Florida have so many toll roads? I think Florida is one of the only states in the south to have them.
It's because the way the state exploded in growth, the state couldn't afford to drop however many billions of dollars it takes to build freeways all at once. I think Florida has the most toll roads in the South, but it's not the only state. I know Louisiana has the toll causeway north of New Orleans and there might be a toll road or two in Georgia and Kentucky or Tennessee. The tolls can get annoying, but there are always free alternatives, and the roads seem to be in better condition than the interstates.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:09 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times
There's In-N-Out Burger, and then there's In-N-Out Florida.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:10 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
Well DUH! You think roads are free? "freeway" doesn't mean it was "free" to built!!! you want to use it, you pay for it!

Old 02-03-2011, 10:13 AM

76 posts, read 78,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Well DUH! You think roads are free? "freeway" doesn't mean it was "free" to built!!! you want to use it, you pay for it!

It's called gas tax. In Michigan where it cost much more to maintain freeways, there's only one toll in the entire state and that is the Mackinaw Bridge. Florida also has one of the higher gas taxes I've seen to.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:19 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,304,420 times
Quote:
It's called gas tax. In Michigan where it cost much more to maintain freeways, there's only one toll in the entire state and that is the Mackinaw Bridge. Florida also has one of the higher gas taxes I've seen to.
I don't know what to tell you. If we didn't have all of these freeways, people would complain about gridlocked local streets. Since we have toll roads, people complain about the tolls. Tolls have been abolished in some places around the state (the bridges in Jacksonville, some of the bridges to the beaches in Pinellas County, other bridges in South Florida) and only time will tell if they'll ever be abolished on some of the roads.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:25 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
Quote:
I don't understand why Florida has toll roads? New York has a much higher cost to maintain roads from having to plow and repair roads due to weather, but why does Florida have so many toll roads? I think Florida is one of the only states in the south to have them.

Yes, New York has a higher cost to maintain the roads. They also have a higher gas tax along with other taxes as well.

TN, FL and TX are the only states in the south without a state income tax. TX has quite a few of toll roads. Not sure about TN, but I am sure they have not experienced the population booms of the last 10 years that FL and TX has experienced.

That's my thinking anyhow.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:31 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Good 4 U! When we left Brooklyn in 88, I am pretty sure it was free to get out but we would have to pay coming back. I said "figure the odds". Well, a couple of years later we found ourself on the VZ again on our way from Newark. I knew they'd get me one way or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Yes, we're driving. But we're on Staten Island, so the Veerrazano ($11 now) is already behind us!

Old 02-03-2011, 10:33 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
You paid more in gas tax in Michigan than you do in FL.

U.S. Gasoline Taxes by State

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay