Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2008, 08:52 AM

362 posts, read 1,718,996 times

Advertisements

I haven't played a while and would like to start playing again. Thinking of taking some group lessons in order to ease back into it and also meet people since I'm new to the area. I found the city of Tampa's Cal Dickson Tennis Center online as well as MP Tennis Center. Anyone have any experience with these? Other options? I'll be living in South Tampa but don't mind driving a bit for good instruction. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 10:04 AM

809 posts, read 746,470 times
Thumbs up Tennis abounds in Tampa!

Wow, you've got many options for tennis lessons in Tampa. The two you mentioned, then there's HCC tennis (www.hcctennis.com), City of Tampa at Majorie Park (Davis Islands), Steve Smith, who current teaches at four har-tru courts at the Tampa Racket club (just a bit north of HCC - www.tennissmith.com )

How one responds to a tennis instructor various greatly by your own learning style. I'd suggest trying a group lesson at each facility and seeing which instructor(s) work best for you. Then you can usually book a series at a discount.

Probably the best deal for casual play is HCC's 5 dollar doubles a few weekday nights and possibly Sunday afternoon. Harbour Island tennis club does a Friday night ten dollar one as well.

One other consideration is surface. If you are young, hard courts (like Cal Dixon) are probably fine to learn and play on, and cheap or free around Tampa. Har-tru and the red clay at mp tennis cost a lot more, but are much easier on the body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honu1 View Post
I haven't played a while and would like to start playing again. Thinking of taking some group lessons in order to ease back into it and also meet people since I'm new to the area. I found the city of Tampa's Cal Dickson Tennis Center online as well as MP Tennis Center. Anyone have any experience with these? Other options? I'll be living in South Tampa but don't mind driving a bit for good instruction. Thanks.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:14 AM

362 posts, read 1,718,996 times
Thanks for the info!

I've always played on hard courts, but would like to also try clay since it hasn't been available anywhere else I've lived.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:24 AM

809 posts, read 746,470 times
Glad the info is helpful!

I've mostly played on hard as well, but now that I'm older, I'm looking to switch over to soft courts - actually a factor as I consider where to move.

One subtlety - most soft courts are "har-tru", mp tennis has actual red clay. I haven't play on them since they were installed about a year ago. Red Clay is rare in the U.S., and typically slower than har-tru. The French open is played on Red Clay. Just pointing out if you try mp tennis and don't like the surface (since you are coming from hard court experience), you should also try har-tru - at davis islands or hcc for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honu1 View Post
Thanks for the info!

I've always played on hard courts, but would like to also try clay since it hasn't been available anywhere else I've lived.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:16 AM

1 posts, read 5,775 times
Default Tampa Tennis Lessons: other places

We offer href="http://www.bradstreetsports.com/">Tampa tennis lessons> at a number of locations and also send our coaches out to clients remotely. We host programs at our sites for kids ages 3 and up and adults of all levels. We also have significant experience with academy level juniors. Check us out at <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.bradstreetsports.com/">Bradstreet Sports>.

As far as hard v soft courts . .

Clay is easier on the bones but is a little hard to come by, is usually a bit more expensive to play on, and you'll deal more with uncertain bounces.

Hard courts are everywhere and are, many times, free. Bounces are usually consistent.

Additionally, hard courts play faster than clay and usually favor a bigger hitter who likes to finish points quickly so your game style may have some impact on your choice of courts.

Court choice is a matter of time, budget, and availability.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:13 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,422,470 times
I live the 33598 zip code and have beautiful Hard-Tru courts where I live (free to play on w/ lights). I'm a rusty 3.0 - anyone around that ability that needs a hitting partner, shoot me a message. Free play with member.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 5,583 times
I heard that HCC has free drills for everybody week this week
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay